128 MEG dim for sale

  • nprovatas@paprican.ca
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
      I am selling a 128MEG dimm for an inspiron 8100 (two
      weeks old). Running 7.2 is choking my simulations for
      ram (currently at 256 MEG with 2 dimms) and I need to
      upgrade. The going price on dell's web site for a 128 MEG
      dimm is $140 (canadian, this includes tax). I'll let the
      dim go at $120.

      -Nick
    • Sunny Dubey
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2001
        On Thursday 01 November 2001 04:29 pm, you wrote:
        > I am selling a 128MEG dimm for an inspiron 8100 (two
        > weeks old). Running 7.2 is choking my simulations for
        > ram (currently at 256 MEG with 2 dimms) and I need to
        > upgrade. The going price on dell's web site for a 128 MEG
        > dimm is $140 (canadian, this includes tax). I'll let the
        > dim go at $120.

        problem is that I can get twice the amount of ram for less than half as much
        (new too)

        http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?model=Inspiron+8100+Series&x=18&y=6

        you might use the RAM as a key chain or something, heh

        Sunny Dubey
      • ---(rick moranis)---
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2001
          Wow! That is an incredible deal! Why is it so cheap? Is it new? It's for a
          laptop right? It says the maximum ram capacity is 512 megs, but I read that
          the bios is the thng that ulimately limits the ram. for instance, if I
          bought 2 512 meg chips and put both in, why wouldn't they be recognized or
          supported? If it is the bios, could I just flash it?

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2001
            > Wow! That is an incredible deal! Why is it so cheap? Is it new? It's for a
            > laptop right? It says the maximum ram capacity is 512 megs, but I read that
            > the bios is the thng that ulimately limits the ram. for instance, if I
            > bought 2 512 meg chips and put both in, why wouldn't they be recognized or
            > supported? If it is the bios, could I just flash it?

            No, the 512 MB limitation is from the Intel 815 series chipsets used in the
            I8X00 and C8X0. The new I4100 and C610 use the Intel 830 chipset and can
            have up to 1 GB.

            --
            John Cronin