RE: [Linux-dell-laptops] VMWare

  • McDonnell, Stephen
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
      Well I played a little with this on my lunch. For some reason2 weird things
      are happening. 1. VMWare tells me the Win98 partition is no longer valid
      when I reboot (/mnt/dev/Windows/ aka hda1) 2. When I installed the power
      tools I can't force the VMWare tools video card, anyone else get this
      working? Do I need to delete the VGA default one and come in through safe
      mode to push this driver through? I also was wondering how I can recover
      the space I allocated for the virtual disk i.e. uninstall a VMWare OS's.

      Thanks all.
      Steve

      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
        Well, I was evaluating both sides, but ended up amazed how well x and linux
        is running as a guest under W2K. The most important part is that I setup
        Linux as a dual boot so I can boot it by itself or as a guest OS. The nice
        part about the Guest OS is that it actually works with all the hardware I
        have including my wireless lynksys card, my internal card. my touch pad and
        external mouse. I am not final on were I am going but at this point if I
        need both I am gona be on W2K running Linux as Guest. Who knows after I get
        SuSe 7.3 with more driver support and fix the little hardware problems I
        might try it the other way. I do love VMWare and it is worth every penny.
        lol when I get a job again I might get both the window and linux host :)
        just to have all the options. For now I just paid for the window host.

        --
        John Cronin

      • michael carr
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
          VMware lets you run linux on top of windows and not just the other way
          around? how do things like network ports work? i would love to run 2k
          for development of php scripts, and upload them to the linux version
          running on the same box, and then view them from the linux webserver
          running apache+php+mysql?

          mikey >;)

          Find a job, post your resume.
          http://careers.yahoo.com
        • Jason Jarrar
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
            I know I have run it both ways, the fun part of running under windows so
            that no matter what network card you have it works under linux as the same
            card, VMWare does the real networking and pass it to the same driver under
            linux, This way I can even run hardware that now is still not working under
            linux.

            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
              Are there people on this board with a 5000e with the 16m ATI that have
              gotten the VMWare tools to successfully work? I installed the power tools
              after I got VMWare up and running it hosed up everything sooo bad in windows
              I had to re-image the windows. For some reason the mouse died, both the
              internal and the ps2 external, the video crapped out telling me I can't use
              the VMWare one, everytime I boot windows it finds new irda/memory
              controllers/com ports/printer ports/ etc etc for the life of me I could not
              get the mouse working again. I uninstalled the power tools and tried
              reinstalling the mouse and everytime the only one it would find is the
              VMWare mouse.

              Conversely, has anyone used Winxp in Linux or vise versa? I'm going out
              hopefully on lunch and picking up XP (re actually paying money for an OS,
              cringe).

              Steve

              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
                Stephan

                Under Linux I did not dare use my main W2K. I just
                installed a new W2K guest under a virtual drive. It
                worked and it did not interfer with my main W2K
                install. As I said before, For now I prefer running it
                theother way around with W2K as host and Linux as
                guest. I am using SuSe 7.2 while waiting for 7.3 I
                gave up on Red Hat mainly as an objection to what they
                just did. They removed the product i just bought which
                is the delux worksation , renamed it to their pro
                product and raised the price from $79 to $199. I think
                that is not a fair price for packaging. so I got an
                rma and I am returning it to them. SuSe seem to work
                better with vmware and with my laptop and has more
                things in their 7.3 pro for $79 than Red Hat.

                --- "McDonnell, Stephen" <SMcDonnell@...>

                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
                  anyone here played with win2k + slackware with vmware? if so which way
                  did you do it: win2k host & slackware guest or slackware host & win2k
                  guest?

                  mikey >;)

                  Find a job, post your resume.
                  http://careers.yahoo.com
                • Jason Jarrar
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
                    check my past posts. I chosr to have W2K as host, you
                    can them use linux slackware, redhat, or SuSe or any
                    other as guest. Doing it this way I can use exostic
                    drivers that are readily avalaible under windows but
                    take alot of work ot get working undr linux. My Linux
                    partition is dual booted. I can boot it under window
                    as a guest, or I can boot it from lilo on its own. to
                    do so you need to use raw disks instead of the virtual
                    disk. Vmware will switch the configuration files from
                    virtual machine to real drivers as you boot based on
                    if it is main boot or guest boot under vmware.
                    I have it running with my wirelss modem, I am typing
                    this letter while sitting outside under a tree. I also
                    got the xdisplay at 1600x1200. It is a little slower
                    than running in native mode, but it is fine for what I
                    need and I can always run in native mode when the need
                    arise. VMWare will pass any of your nic drivers as an
                    AMD network card that is easily detected under SuSe.
                    Not sure about Slack. the x driver is an SVGA VMWare
                    driver.
                    --- michael carr <pweiproduct@...> wrote:
                    > anyone here played with win2k + slackware with
                    > vmware? if so which way
                    > did you do it: win2k host & slackware guest or
                    > slackware host & win2k
                    > guest?
                    >
                    > mikey >;)

                    Find a job, post your resume.
                    http://careers.yahoo.com
                  • McDonnell, Stephen
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 5, 2001
                      Good afternoon, thanks for the reply on Friday to my question. So how were
                      you able to actually get the video running in full size on your W2k guest?
                      Mine simply puked when VMWare tried to take over and wouldn't let me install
                      the default drivers again. Like the how to said to during install.

                      Thanks!
                      Steve

                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 5, 2001
                        to terll you the truth Steve I do not remember, I
                        deleted the red hat stuff and waiting for SuSe 7.3
                        before I play with the linux host, since Linux
                        X--window setup almost caused me to lose my LCD. Sure
                        it is something I did, but gona wait for the new
                        release before I get Linux host running. For now just
                        running under W2K.

                        wrote:
                        > Good afternoon, thanks for the reply on Friday to my
                        > question. So how were
                        > you able to actually get the video running in full
                        > size on your W2k guest?
                        > Mine simply puked when VMWare tried to take over and
                        > wouldn't let me install
                        > the default drivers again. Like the how to said to
                        > during install.
                        >
                        > Thanks!
                        > Steve

                        === message truncated ===