Anyone able to switch off LCD backlight ?

  • panksies@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1 8:04 AM
      Greetings

      I've tried setting DPMS in my XF86Config under monitor (XF4.1.0)... the log file says "option dpms is not used", and xset -q says "Display does not support DPMS."

      Is this a problem with my config file, or is DPMS simply not supported by the LCD ?

      Has anyone got this working ? I'd really like to be able to switch off the LCD without having to do a full suspend.

      BTW the machine is a Latitude C800.

      Many thanks for any help

      Jamie
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1 8:46 AM
        I used to have it working, and then upgraded to the latest xscreensaver package which broke it for some reason. In any
        case, do what I do: set it in the BIOS to turn off the LCD after a certain time of inactivity. the only problem with
        this method is that for some stupid reason, the BIOS doesn't monitor the USB ports. since I have an external
        mouse/keyboard plugged in by USB - my I8K has a weird habit of turning off the display while I'm in the middle of
        typing. not painful, but annoying nonetheless..

        -steve

      • panksies@yahoo.co.uk
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1 2:21 PM
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
          > I used to have it working, and then upgraded to the latest xscreensaver package which broke it for some reason. In any
          > case, do what I do: set it in the BIOS to turn off the LCD after a certain time of inactivity. the only problem with
          > this method is that for some stupid reason, the BIOS doesn't monitor the USB ports. since I have an external
          > mouse/keyboard plugged in by USB - my I8K has a weird habit of turning off the display while I'm in the middle of
          > typing. not painful, but annoying nonetheless..

          :) Quite unnerving I bet.

          Yes, I've tried the BIOS power-saving option. It blanks the screen perfectly, but immediately jams the whole thing, and I have to power it off and on again. The same effect can be had, for free, by pressing Fn-D. Really enough to p*ss you off, because it's so darn similar to pressing Ctrl-D, and so gets pressed pretty often.

          What's happening ? Why does it lock up under these circumstances ? It does a similar thing if I unplug the power and loads of other scenarios. Grrrrr. Tonight, after 15 years of unix/linux, I had, for the first time, to re-type a text file under linux (the shame of it....) because it had chosen to lock up when I adjusted the brightness and the file was garbled. I ask you.

          Thanks for the help - any more ?

          Thanks

          Jamie
        • rumtictac@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 17 9:24 AM
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., panksies@y... wrote:
            > Greetings
            >
            > I've tried setting DPMS in my XF86Config under monitor (XF4.1.0)...
            the log file says "option dpms is not used", and xset -q says "Display
            does not support DPMS."

            > Is this a problem with my config file, or is DPMS simply not
            supported by the LCD ?

            That is a good question and I'd like to know the answer too as I get
            the same thing on my i8000.

            > Has anyone got this working ? I'd really like to be able to switch
            off the LCD without having to do a full suspend.

            I'm futzing with this at the moment, and there is a kernel option
            under General Setup / Advanced Power Management BIOS Support / Enable
            console blanking using APM which used to work great for me on an old
            Dell Latitude LM. I've tried setting this for the i8000 though and it
            hangs when coming out of suspend (to ram)... I can't see any messages
            in the log about it so I'm not sure what's going on. I'm working with
            a 2.4.14 kernel from kernel.org.

            I'll post another note if I get this working...

            Cheers