RE: [Linux-dell-laptops] VMWare

  • McDonnell, Stephen
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
      Well I figured it out somewhat, I used the wizard again and pointed towards
      my existing hda1 i.e. windows98. Works like a charm so far sans the 25
      minutes of drivers detecting and loading. I'll play some more on lunch and
      install the tools for more fun :)

      Has anyone found ways to utilize things like games in VMWare? I haven't
      tried yet but I assume they won't work. By games I mean things like
      Everquest and other glide dependant games. If I can do this I'll smoke the
      dual boot setup and live from Linux/VMWare. Also is there a way to allocate
      more resources to VMWare i.e. speed it up some. I'd take a hit in Linux
      performance to have VMWare faster.

      Steve

      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
        Well I played a little with this on my lunch. For some reason2 weird things
        are happening. 1. VMWare tells me the Win98 partition is no longer valid
        when I reboot (/mnt/dev/Windows/ aka hda1) 2. When I installed the power
        tools I can't force the VMWare tools video card, anyone else get this
        working? Do I need to delete the VGA default one and come in through safe
        mode to push this driver through? I also was wondering how I can recover
        the space I allocated for the virtual disk i.e. uninstall a VMWare OS's.

        Thanks all.
        Steve

        --
        John Cronin

      • Jason Jarrar
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
          Well, I was evaluating both sides, but ended up amazed how well x and linux
          is running as a guest under W2K. The most important part is that I setup
          Linux as a dual boot so I can boot it by itself or as a guest OS. The nice
          part about the Guest OS is that it actually works with all the hardware I
          have including my wireless lynksys card, my internal card. my touch pad and
          external mouse. I am not final on were I am going but at this point if I
          need both I am gona be on W2K running Linux as Guest. Who knows after I get
          SuSe 7.3 with more driver support and fix the little hardware problems I
          might try it the other way. I do love VMWare and it is worth every penny.
          lol when I get a job again I might get both the window and linux host :)
          just to have all the options. For now I just paid for the window host.

          > I currently dual boot Win98 are you saying I can direct the bios somehow
          > point to this existing partition? If I could that would unbelievably
          > awesome, crosses fingers. Referencing your first suggestion, by this you
          > mean simply install my OS on the virtual hard drive? That's what I've
          been
          > trying to do but it just won't boot from it :( I do believe your right
          > about the VHD being SD1 I seem to remember seeing that.

          I am not sure what problems you are having. I had NO problems with
          VMware 2.0.X on 2.2.X kernel running Windows 98SE. It was a while
          ago when I did the install, and I never did get DGA working in full
          screen mode, but everything else is fine, I use it five days a week.
          I installed on a virtual disk.

          --
          John Cronin

        • michael carr
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
            VMware lets you run linux on top of windows and not just the other way
            around? how do things like network ports work? i would love to run 2k
            for development of php scripts, and upload them to the linux version
            running on the same box, and then view them from the linux webserver
            running apache+php+mysql?

            mikey >;)

            Find a job, post your resume.
            http://careers.yahoo.com
          • Jason Jarrar
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
              I know I have run it both ways, the fun part of running under windows so
              that no matter what network card you have it works under linux as the same
              card, VMWare does the real networking and pass it to the same driver under
              linux, This way I can even run hardware that now is still not working under
              linux.

              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
                Are there people on this board with a 5000e with the 16m ATI that have
                gotten the VMWare tools to successfully work? I installed the power tools
                after I got VMWare up and running it hosed up everything sooo bad in windows
                I had to re-image the windows. For some reason the mouse died, both the
                internal and the ps2 external, the video crapped out telling me I can't use
                the VMWare one, everytime I boot windows it finds new irda/memory
                controllers/com ports/printer ports/ etc etc for the life of me I could not
                get the mouse working again. I uninstalled the power tools and tried
                reinstalling the mouse and everytime the only one it would find is the
                VMWare mouse.

                Conversely, has anyone used Winxp in Linux or vise versa? I'm going out
                hopefully on lunch and picking up XP (re actually paying money for an OS,
                cringe).

                Steve

                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
                  Stephan

                  Under Linux I did not dare use my main W2K. I just
                  installed a new W2K guest under a virtual drive. It
                  worked and it did not interfer with my main W2K
                  install. As I said before, For now I prefer running it
                  theother way around with W2K as host and Linux as
                  guest. I am using SuSe 7.2 while waiting for 7.3 I
                  gave up on Red Hat mainly as an objection to what they
                  just did. They removed the product i just bought which
                  is the delux worksation , renamed it to their pro
                  product and raised the price from $79 to $199. I think
                  that is not a fair price for packaging. so I got an
                  rma and I am returning it to them. SuSe seem to work
                  better with vmware and with my laptop and has more
                  things in their 7.3 pro for $79 than Red Hat.

                  --- "McDonnell, Stephen" <SMcDonnell@...>

                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
                    anyone here played with win2k + slackware with vmware? if so which way
                    did you do it: win2k host & slackware guest or slackware host & win2k
                    guest?

                    mikey >;)

                    Find a job, post your resume.
                    http://careers.yahoo.com
                  • Jason Jarrar
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
                      check my past posts. I chosr to have W2K as host, you
                      can them use linux slackware, redhat, or SuSe or any
                      other as guest. Doing it this way I can use exostic
                      drivers that are readily avalaible under windows but
                      take alot of work ot get working undr linux. My Linux
                      partition is dual booted. I can boot it under window
                      as a guest, or I can boot it from lilo on its own. to
                      do so you need to use raw disks instead of the virtual
                      disk. Vmware will switch the configuration files from
                      virtual machine to real drivers as you boot based on
                      if it is main boot or guest boot under vmware.
                      I have it running with my wirelss modem, I am typing
                      this letter while sitting outside under a tree. I also
                      got the xdisplay at 1600x1200. It is a little slower
                      than running in native mode, but it is fine for what I
                      need and I can always run in native mode when the need
                      arise. VMWare will pass any of your nic drivers as an
                      AMD network card that is easily detected under SuSe.
                      Not sure about Slack. the x driver is an SVGA VMWare
                      driver.
                      --- michael carr <pweiproduct@...> wrote:
                      > anyone here played with win2k + slackware with
                      > vmware? if so which way
                      > did you do it: win2k host & slackware guest or
                      > slackware host & win2k
                      > guest?
                      >
                      > mikey >;)

                      Find a job, post your resume.
                      http://careers.yahoo.com
                    • McDonnell, Stephen
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 5, 2001
                        Good afternoon, thanks for the reply on Friday to my question. So how were
                        you able to actually get the video running in full size on your W2k guest?
                        Mine simply puked when VMWare tried to take over and wouldn't let me install
                        the default drivers again. Like the how to said to during install.

                        Thanks!
                        Steve

                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 5, 2001
                          to terll you the truth Steve I do not remember, I
                          deleted the red hat stuff and waiting for SuSe 7.3
                          before I play with the linux host, since Linux
                          X--window setup almost caused me to lose my LCD. Sure
                          it is something I did, but gona wait for the new
                          release before I get Linux host running. For now just
                          running under W2K.

                          wrote:
                          > Good afternoon, thanks for the reply on Friday to my
                          > question. So how were
                          > you able to actually get the video running in full
                          > size on your W2k guest?
                          > Mine simply puked when VMWare tried to take over and
                          > wouldn't let me install
                          > the default drivers again. Like the how to said to
                          > during install.
                          >
                          > Thanks!
                          > Steve

                          === message truncated ===