Latitude CPx and Mandrake 7.0

  • cplater@ford.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26, 2000
      I have 3 issues with this machine:

      1) I have to have the floppy connected to halt/reboot/suspend the
      machine. If it is not connected, I get read errors, and if I connect
      the floppy then halt/reboot/suspend will complete (reboot is the
      exception. which leads to problem # 2)

      2) A reboot will hang. After the systems goes down, the screen goes
      black, and there are some beeps (the numlock/capslock/scrolllock
      lights flash in sync with the beeps.) If my memory serves me they
      beep 3 - 1 - 3. I can press the power button to shut the machine off,
      but what's the point of rebooting, if it works like a halt, and a cold
      boot? :)

      3) if I use the fn+ESC, or fn+F3 (Suspend or Battery, respectively)
      the screen is immediately replaces by what can only be described as
      throbing purple/blue circles. The only way to get out of this is to
      remove all power.

      Any suggestions?
    • Simon Trimmer
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 27, 2000

        On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 cplater@... wrote:
        > 1) I have to have the floppy connected to halt/reboot/suspend the
        > machine.
        >
        > 2) A reboot will hang.

        I don't see this on my machine, though I do run the 2.4 test kernels. What
        version of the kernel are you using?

        > 3) if I use the fn+ESC, or fn+F3 (Suspend or Battery, respectively)
        > the screen is immediately replaces by what can only be described as
        > throbing purple/blue circles. The only way to get out of this is to
        > remove all power.

        Now this I have a suggestion for; I expect you're trying it in graphics mode,
        try switching to the console before hitting the button. (use ctrl-alt-f1 to
        switch to the text consoles, to get back into X try ctrl-alt-f7)

        -Simon

        Simon Trimmer <simon@...> Mobile: 07974 545 374

        Linux is user friendly, it's just selective about who its friends are.