Multi network config boot utility for linux

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2001
      Does anyone use or could recommend a good network/Xconfig switching
      utily for Linux.

      I am looking for something that would be able to switch network
      settings, Xconfigs, etc.. at the start. Options could be @home,
      office, docked w/monitor, undocked, wireless, etc..

      The only one I have been able to find is this.
      http://muthanna.com/quickswitch/
      It does not support multi Xconfig files.

      Frank...
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2001
        For X, you can define different "ServerLayout"s and then start them by:

        startx -- -layout athome
        or
        startx -- -layout office

        etc. etc. if this is too much, i took a look at the code for
        quickswitch and it doesn't look too complicated to have it cp different
        XF86Config files.

        cheers,
        steve

        On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 02:53:41AM -0000, Frank wrote:
        > Does anyone use or could recommend a good network/Xconfig switching
        > utily for Linux.
        >
        > I am looking for something that would be able to switch network
        > settings, Xconfigs, etc.. at the start. Options could be @home,
        > office, docked w/monitor, undocked, wireless, etc..
        >
        > The only one I have been able to find is this.
        > http://muthanna.com/quickswitch/
        > It does not support multi Xconfig files.
        >

        > Frank...

      • Jason Jarrar
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
          well you can do something like a script that you can place in your rc3.init
          that can give you a few choices and relink the configuration files to
          premade configuration files. VMWare does something similar but uses an
          automated program to decide if your loading linux as a guest operating
          system or as a host and based on that either load the virtual network and x
          drivers or the real ones.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2001
            "Frank" <fhoonhout@...> writes:

            > Does anyone use or could recommend a good network/Xconfig switching
            > utily for Linux.
            >
            > I am looking for something that would be able to switch network
            > settings, Xconfigs, etc.. at the start. Options could be @home,
            > office, docked w/monitor, undocked, wireless, etc..
            >
            > The only one I have been able to find is this.
            > http://muthanna.com/quickswitch/
            > It does not support multi Xconfig files.

            I would suggest that you have a look at netenv.

            It is packaged for Debian, but should also be available in other distributions.

            Regards,

            --
            Olivier BERGER - Secrétaire de l'association APRIL
            APRIL (http://www.april.org) - Vive python (http://www.python.org)