need help with Insp8100, RH7.1, and PCMCIA

  • vwed@home.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
      Hi, I can get either of my PCMCIA network cards to work: Dell
      Truemobile 1150 (using default wvlan_cs) or Netgear FA510c (standard
      LAN CardBus - 32bit, tulip driver).

      I don't think that it is a problem with the wvlan_cs driver for the
      Truemobile as the Netgear card won't work either.

      PCMCIA is initializing: two high same pitch beeps on startup, Status
      light comes on. However, as soon as the PCMCIA initializes, then the
      activity light starts going crazy, like it is sending an endless
      stream of data, but I can't ping or get on the internet (both say
      destination unknown).

      So, has anyone else had this problem? I am using the packaged distro
      for RedHat 7.1 (also bought the RH7.2 package, but same problems).
      Has anyone been able to to get the PCMCIA to work out of the box?
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
        I was able to get the Truemobile 1150 working without too much trouble
        out of the box with both RH 7.1 and 7.2. Use the orinoco_cs driver, and
        download the hermes.conf file from the WavelanIEEE linux driver page
        (URL is in the FAQ) and follow the directions. It's pretty
        straight-forward.

        -steve

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
          Ok, I have the hermes.conf file in /etc/pcmcia, do I need to modify
          it?

          And where do I specify (where and in which files) for pcmcia to use
          orinoco_cs instead of wvlan_cs?

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
          > I was able to get the Truemobile 1150 working without too much
          trouble
          > out of the box with both RH 7.1 and 7.2. Use the orinoco_cs
          driver, and
          > download the hermes.conf file from the WavelanIEEE linux driver page
          > (URL is in the FAQ) and follow the directions. It's pretty
          > straight-forward.
          >
          > -steve

        • Stephen Lau
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
            edit the /etc/pcmcia/config file and replace occurances of wvlan_cs with
            orinoco_cs

            -steve

          • vwed@home.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
              but in /etc/pcmcia/config it is a script and no occurrences of
              wvlan_cs. in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts it list a bunch of cards and
              related modules, one of which is wvlan_cs. But they are both
              commented out (one for Ad hoc and one for Access Point). Which do I
              uncomment and change (also, why are these commented out in the first
              place)
            • Stephen Lau
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
                sorry - that's probably right, i was looking at my config files on my
                debian I8K which are different from the red hat ones.

                the one you want to uncomment is whichever one you need. i.e.: are you
                running your wvlan as an AP or as a client?

                -steve

              • jsc3@havoc.gtf.org
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
                  > but in /etc/pcmcia/config it is a script and no occurrences of
                  > wvlan_cs. in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts it list a bunch of cards and
                  > related modules, one of which is wvlan_cs. But they are both
                  > commented out (one for Ad hoc and one for Access Point). Which do I
                  > uncomment and change (also, why are these commented out in the first
                  > place)

                  They are commented out because you can only have one or the other,
                  and there is no way for anybody but you to know which one you want.
                  If you are using an Access Point of some kind (ie Linksys, Dlink,
                  Netgear, Agere/Lucent, Cisco box of some kind that plugs into your
                  Ethernet network) then uncomment the Access point line. If you
                  are doing a peer-to-peer adhoc network with no access point (ie
                  a bunch of computers with wireless cards is all you have, with none
                  of them acting as an access point), then you need to uncomment the
                  the Ad hoc line.

                  --
                  John Cronin