Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Inspiron 2100 anybody..?

  • Brad Langhorst
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2001
      the amount of ram on your video card has nothing
      to do with the size of window you can display.

      I suspect that any new laptop will be able to decode
      mpeg fast enough without and video card assistance.
      If that is all you want to do the amount of ram on the
      card does not matter. You need enough video ram to
      hold all the pixels you intend to display (with some
      precision)
      if you have 32bit color
      you need 32bits*horizontalsize*verticalsize/8
      bytess of ram
      so if you screen is 1600x1200 at 32 bits /pixel you
      need 7.68 meg of video ram. Anything more than that
      is used for stuff like texture caching and other fancy
      stuff. You don't need that for displaying dvd video
      (I don't think)
      if you can live with 16 bit color (65K colors)
      then you'd only need abour 4 megs of video ram.

      i hope that clears things up a bit for you.

      brad

      http://personals.yahoo.com