Re: Inspiron 4100

  • darrdem@yahoo.ie
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 31, 2001
      Yeah I dual boot with Windows ME. Maybe it would help if I gave you a
      run down of what I did:

      I shrunk windows partition from 20GB to 6GB.
      I installed linux onto remaining space.
      I installed lilo on the MBR. (Llilo boots the hibernation partition to
      start windows and my linux root to start linux.)

      And thats that.

      Hope this helps,
      Darren.

    • darrdem@yahoo.ie
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 31, 2001
        Yeah I tried this driver but the ptserial module can't be started
        cause of some missing modules (ISA_PNP? or something like that, I
        can't remember.) I'm going to try it again later or perhaps PCTEL's
        website will be back up by then and I can get some more info on the modem.

        Thanks,
        Darren.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., tim2@b... wrote:
        > > Modem
        > > Can't get linux drivers for PCTEL 2304WT v.92 MDC Modem. Yes it's a
        > > winmodem, but I can always hope.
        >
        > I have no experience with PCTEL winmodems, but a friend who has
        > (albeit on a desktop so unlikely to be the same model) recommends the
        > following site as the best resource:
        >
        > http://www.medres.ch/~jstifter/linux/pctel.html
      • McDonnell, Stephen
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 31, 2001
          Anyone seen some pictures of this video card yet? I'm always looking for an
          upgrade to my ATI M3 16mb and it appears the GeForce won't fit. I can't
          confirm this though since I haven't been able to locate any good pics of it.

          Steve

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2001
            XFree86.org, in the comments for the next major realease (out end of
            November) they mention support for ATI Mobility Radeon.

            Slán.

            wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > darrdem@y... wrote:
            > [...]
            > > Support for ATI Mobility Radeon will be out the end of November so
            > > until then, I gotta use the frambuffer. :(
            > [...]
            >
            > Where do you know from that the ATI Mobility Radeon will be supported by
            > the end of November?
            >
            > Bye,
            > Florian
            >

            > --
            > have fun...
          • tassie_yoda
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 23, 2001
              I have similar problems with the pctel mdc modem. If anyone has made any progress with this, please let me know.

              Cheers
              Taz