Re: Inspiron 4100

  • darrdem@yahoo.ie
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 31, 2001
      Yeah Mobility Radeon, It's very new (I think it came out around July)
      and pretty cool, I haven't got the full specs but 16MB on a laptop is
      nice.

      I got the network card working using a generic 3com (3c90XB/C) driver.

      Slán,
      Darren.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
      > On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 11:28:19AM -0000, darrdem@y... wrote:
      > > Support for ATI Mobility Radeon will be out the end of November so
      > > until then, I gotta use the frambuffer. :(
      >
      > Eh? Mobility Radeon? When did they start putting those on?
      >
      > > Network
      > > I'm currently looking for a linux driver for 3Com 3C920 Integrated
      > > Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX compatible).
      >
      > add the "3c590/3c900 series (592/595/597) "Vortex/Boomerang" driver.
      >

      > > I can run KDE and do most of the thing I want, except for the
      > > multimedia bits. As for other devices such as the DVD, infra-red, etc.
      > > I haven't tried to configure them yet, but I don't expect any major
      > > problems, since they're standard components.
      > >
      > > The build quiality of the machine is nice, but feels like you'd break
      > > it given a little force. Still I love this machine and consider it the
      > > best notebook given the spec/price/weight.
      > >
      > > Anyone with any help regarding the drivers, please pass it on.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Darren.
      > >

      > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., florian fankhauser <sonnenstrahl@m...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > Hi,
      > > >
      > > > Has anybody got the Dell Inspiron 4100? How well is it supported by
      > > > Linux? I haven't found any information on it on
      linux-laptops.net etc.

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • darrdem@yahoo.ie
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 31, 2001
        Yeah I dual boot with Windows ME. Maybe it would help if I gave you a
        run down of what I did:

        I shrunk windows partition from 20GB to 6GB.
        I installed linux onto remaining space.
        I installed lilo on the MBR. (Llilo boots the hibernation partition to
        start windows and my linux root to start linux.)

        And thats that.

        Hope this helps,
        Darren.

      • darrdem@yahoo.ie
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 31, 2001
          Yeah I tried this driver but the ptserial module can't be started
          cause of some missing modules (ISA_PNP? or something like that, I
          can't remember.) I'm going to try it again later or perhaps PCTEL's
          website will be back up by then and I can get some more info on the modem.

          Thanks,
          Darren.

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., tim2@b... wrote:
          > > Modem
          > > Can't get linux drivers for PCTEL 2304WT v.92 MDC Modem. Yes it's a
          > > winmodem, but I can always hope.
          >
          > I have no experience with PCTEL winmodems, but a friend who has
          > (albeit on a desktop so unlikely to be the same model) recommends the
          > following site as the best resource:
          >
          > http://www.medres.ch/~jstifter/linux/pctel.html
        • McDonnell, Stephen
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 31, 2001
            Anyone seen some pictures of this video card yet? I'm always looking for an
            upgrade to my ATI M3 16mb and it appears the GeForce won't fit. I can't
            confirm this though since I haven't been able to locate any good pics of it.

            Steve

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 1, 2001
              XFree86.org, in the comments for the next major realease (out end of
              November) they mention support for ATI Mobility Radeon.

              Slán.

              wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > darrdem@y... wrote:
              > [...]
              > > Support for ATI Mobility Radeon will be out the end of November so
              > > until then, I gotta use the frambuffer. :(
              > [...]
              >
              > Where do you know from that the ATI Mobility Radeon will be supported by
              > the end of November?
              >
              > Bye,
              > Florian
              >

              > --
              > have fun...
            • tassie_yoda
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 23, 2001
                I have similar problems with the pctel mdc modem. If anyone has made any progress with this, please let me know.

                Cheers
                Taz