RH 7.1 Installation Error

  • dennisbhay@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2001
      Description of Problem:

      I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 8100 Notebook with pre-installed
      winME. I also bought a Linux minibook magazine, it was accompanied
      with 4 CD Linux Installation CDs with RedHat Version 7.1 And Mandrake
      8.0 .. Before trying to install it into my Laptop, i tested the Linux
      Installation CDs by intstalling it into an Old Pentium 1 100Mgz 1GB
      running Windows 98SE and things went smoothly ( i was able choose
      booting from either Linux or Win98) ..

      assuming things will work the same with Notebooks ,

      Notebook Configuration :
      Dell Inspiron 8100 1GHz
      256 KB Memory
      32MB DDR 4AP NIDIA GEFORCE Video Adapter
      20 GB Hard Disk
      3com Network Card And Modem Internal, Combo
      DVD CDRW Optical Drive , Combo

      I started my installation proces by partitioning the Disk using non-
      destructive FIPS utility that comes with the CDs. and subsequently
      reformatted and divide the Second partiotioned disk into pieces for
      RedHat allocation Using DISK DRUID.. the ff partitioned was the End
      Result

      /dev/hda1 6000MB Windows FAT32
      /dev/hda2 / 1800MB Linux Native
      /dev/hda3 /usr 2000MB Linux Native
      /dev/hda4 /home 2000MB Linux Native
      /dev/hda7 400MB Linux Swap

      Linux root was mounted below the 1024 Cylinder as advised and the
      remains of 20GB was unallocated ..

      going through the installation process.. and choosing the minimum
      package installation , The FF error was encountered during the
      installation process within install Option = Laptop

      Traceback (innermost last):
      File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 520, in ?
      intf.run(todo, test = test)
      File "/var/tmp/anaconda-7.1//usr/lib/anaconda/text.py", line 1126,
      in run
      rc = apply (step[1](), args)
      File "/var/tmp/anaconda-7.1//usr/lib/anaconda/text.py", line 551,
      in __call__
      if todo.doInstall ():
      File "/var/tmp/anaconda-7.1//usr/lib/anaconda/todo.py", line 1765,
      in doInstall
      self.fstab.turnOnSwap(self.instPath)
      File "/var/tmp/anaconda-7.1//usr/lib/anaconda/fstab.py", line 537,
      in turnOnSwap
      isys.swapon (file)

      File "/mnt/redhat/test/qa0408.4/i386/RedHat/instimage/usr/lib/anaconda
      /isys.py", line 163, in swapon
      return _isys.swapon (path)
      SystemError: (22, 'Invalid argument')

      Local variables in innermost frame:
      path: /tmp/swap/hda7

      I tried installing it through options like WORKSTATION, SERVER,
      CUSTOM but the same end result happens.. the Installation process is
      aborted with the same error messages as above ...

      Am a newbie to Linux and i would appreciate if someone can give me
      hand on this ..

      Dennis
    • dar dem
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2001
        I can't say I have any exprience with newer RedHat
        installations, but looking at you partitions, your
        swap drive should be at least twice the size of your
        installed memory, i.e 256 -> 512.

        It is obvious that anaconda is trying to mount the
        swap drive, but this fails. Perhaps you should get on
        to redhat and see if this has happened before..

        Hope this is some help,
        Darren.

        --- dennisbhay@... wrote: > Description of
> [...]
        > line 1765,
        > in doInstall
        > self.fstab.turnOnSwap(self.instPath)
        > File
        > "/var/tmp/anaconda-7.1//usr/lib/anaconda/fstab.py",
        > line 537,
        > in turnOnSwap
        > isys.swapon (file)
        >
        > File

        "/mnt/redhat/test/qa0408.4/i386/RedHat/instimage/usr/lib/anaconda
        > /isys.py", line 163, in swapon
        > return _isys.swapon (path)
        > SystemError: (22, 'Invalid argument')
        >
        > Local variables in innermost frame:
        > path: /tmp/swap/hda7

        > I tried installing it through options like
        > WORKSTATION, SERVER,
        > CUSTOM but the same end result happens.. the
        > Installation process is
        > aborted with the same error messages as above ...
        >

        > Am a newbie to Linux and i would appreciate if

        Nokia Game is on again.
        Go to http://uk.yahoo.com/nokiagame/ and join the new
        all media adventure before November 3rd.