Re: [linux-dell-laptops] linux install ??? which one

  • Marc Fellman
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2001
      Aanhalen Tushar R Joshi <tushar.joshi@...>:

      > hi

      hi,

      > my first post in this group never turned up .
      > this is what i had asked :
      >

      > i got a inspirion 4100 laptop with win2k(preinstalled) the HDD is 30Gb
      > .
      > can any one guide me on :
      >
      > 1 which flavour of linux to install

      depends on your personal favorite. I like Mandrake.

      > 2 where to get the procedure.

      what procedure do you mean?

      > 3 any pitfalls that i have to take care of.

      I don't have a 4100 but a 5000e and it installed without problems.

      > 4 should i install it over w2k or install linux and then install w2k

      Because Dell only supports the installed OS you probably want a W2k partition.
      There are tools around to resize the w2k partition but I don't have any
      experience with them.

      > Regards,
      > Tushar Joshi

      Dit bericht was verstuurd met IMP: fellsoft.homeip.net