Inspiron 4100

  • florian fankhauser
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 28, 2001
      Hi,

      Has anybody got the Dell Inspiron 4100? How well is it supported by
      Linux? I haven't found any information on it on linux-laptops.net etc.

      How well is it built?

      Thanks for your help,
      Florian

      --
      have fun...
    • jsc3@havoc.gtf.org
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 28, 2001
        > Hi,
        >
        > Has anybody got the Dell Inspiron 4100? How well is it supported by
        > Linux? I haven't found any information on it on linux-laptops.net etc.
        >
        > How well is it built?
        >
        > Thanks for your help,
        > Florian

        Well, considering it wasn't on Dell's web site a week or so ago
        when I last looked, I would say it is so new that few people have
        any experience with it. The first people who ordered it have
        probably had it less than a week.

        --
        John Cronin
      • darrdem@yahoo.ie
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 30, 2001
          Hello,

          I recieved my 4100 last Wensday, and I couldn't be happier. It's a
          fantastic machine and uses the latest hardware, which of course is so
          new that I can't get any linux drivers. I managed to install SUSE 7.1
          *FIRST TIME*!!! using the supplied DVD running the graphic install
          program and everthing work perfrectly, except:

          Support for ATI Mobility Radeon will be out the end of November so
          until then, I gotta use the frambuffer. :(

          Sound
          Can't find linux drivers for Cirrus Logic Crystal WDM Audio codec 4205.

          Modem
          Can't get linux drivers for PCTEL 2304WT v.92 MDC Modem. Yes it's a
          winmodem, but I can always hope.

          Network
          I'm currently looking for a linux driver for 3Com 3C920 Integrated
          Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX compatible).

          I can run KDE and do most of the thing I want, except for the
          multimedia bits. As for other devices such as the DVD, infra-red, etc.
          I haven't tried to configure them yet, but I don't expect any major
          problems, since they're standard components.

          The build quiality of the machine is nice, but feels like you'd break
          it given a little force. Still I love this machine and consider it the
          best notebook given the spec/price/weight.

          Anyone with any help regarding the drivers, please pass it on.

          Thanks,
          Darren.

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., florian fankhauser <sonnenstrahl@m...>

        • tim2@bavister.org
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 30, 2001
            > Modem
            > Can't get linux drivers for PCTEL 2304WT v.92 MDC Modem. Yes it's a
            > winmodem, but I can always hope.

            I have no experience with PCTEL winmodems, but a friend who has
            (albeit on a desktop so unlikely to be the same model) recommends the
            following site as the best resource:

            http://www.medres.ch/~jstifter/linux/pctel.html
          • Stephen Lau
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 30, 2001
              On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 11:28:19AM -0000, darrdem@... wrote:
              > Support for ATI Mobility Radeon will be out the end of November so
              > until then, I gotta use the frambuffer. :(

              Eh? Mobility Radeon? When did they start putting those on?

              > Network
              > I'm currently looking for a linux driver for 3Com 3C920 Integrated
              > Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX compatible).

              add the "3c590/3c900 series (592/595/597) "Vortex/Boomerang" driver.

              > I can run KDE and do most of the thing I want, except for the
              > multimedia bits. As for other devices such as the DVD, infra-red, etc.
              > I haven't tried to configure them yet, but I don't expect any major
              > problems, since they're standard components.
              >
              > The build quiality of the machine is nice, but feels like you'd break
              > it given a little force. Still I love this machine and consider it the
              > best notebook given the spec/price/weight.
              >
              > Anyone with any help regarding the drivers, please pass it on.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Darren.
              >

              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., florian fankhauser <sonnenstrahl@m...>
              > wrote:
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > Has anybody got the Dell Inspiron 4100? How well is it supported by
              > > Linux? I haven't found any information on it on linux-laptops.net etc.
              > >
              > > How well is it built?
              > >
              > > Thanks for your help,
              > > Florian
              > >

              > > --
              > > have fun...

            • florian fankhauser
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 30, 2001
                Hi,

                darrdem@... wrote:
                [...]
                > Support for ATI Mobility Radeon will be out the end of November so
                > until then, I gotta use the frambuffer. :(
                [...]

                Where do you know from that the ATI Mobility Radeon will be supported by
                the end of November?

                Bye,
                Florian

                --
                have fun...
              • Sean.Harmer@btinternet.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 30, 2001
                  Are you dual booting with Win Me? If so how did you setup your
                  machine? My i4100 just freezes when I try to boot Win Me when I have
                  any linux partitions.

                  Many thanks for any pointers,

                  Sean Harmer

                • darrdem@yahoo.ie
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 31, 2001
                    Yeah Mobility Radeon, It's very new (I think it came out around July)
                    and pretty cool, I haven't got the full specs but 16MB on a laptop is
                    nice.

                    I got the network card working using a generic 3com (3c90XB/C) driver.

                    Slán,
                    Darren.

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • darrdem@yahoo.ie
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 31, 2001
                      Yeah I dual boot with Windows ME. Maybe it would help if I gave you a
                      run down of what I did:

                      I shrunk windows partition from 20GB to 6GB.
                      I installed linux onto remaining space.
                      I installed lilo on the MBR. (Llilo boots the hibernation partition to
                      start windows and my linux root to start linux.)

                      And thats that.

                      Hope this helps,
                      Darren.

                    • darrdem@yahoo.ie
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 31, 2001
                        Yeah I tried this driver but the ptserial module can't be started
                        cause of some missing modules (ISA_PNP? or something like that, I
                        can't remember.) I'm going to try it again later or perhaps PCTEL's
                        website will be back up by then and I can get some more info on the modem.

                        Thanks,
                        Darren.

                        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., tim2@b... wrote:
                        > > Modem
                        > > Can't get linux drivers for PCTEL 2304WT v.92 MDC Modem. Yes it's a
                        > > winmodem, but I can always hope.
                        >
                        > I have no experience with PCTEL winmodems, but a friend who has
                        > (albeit on a desktop so unlikely to be the same model) recommends the
                        > following site as the best resource:
                        >
                        > http://www.medres.ch/~jstifter/linux/pctel.html
                      • McDonnell, Stephen
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 31, 2001
                          Anyone seen some pictures of this video card yet? I'm always looking for an
                          upgrade to my ATI M3 16mb and it appears the GeForce won't fit. I can't
                          confirm this though since I haven't been able to locate any good pics of it.

                          Steve

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 1, 2001
                            XFree86.org, in the comments for the next major realease (out end of
                            November) they mention support for ATI Mobility Radeon.

                            Slán.

                            wrote:
                            > Hi,
                            >
                            > darrdem@y... wrote:
                            > [...]
                            > > Support for ATI Mobility Radeon will be out the end of November so
                            > > until then, I gotta use the frambuffer. :(
                            > [...]
                            >
                            > Where do you know from that the ATI Mobility Radeon will be supported by
                            > the end of November?
                            >
                            > Bye,
                            > Florian
                            >

                            > --
                            > have fun...
                          • tassie_yoda
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 23, 2001
                              I have similar problems with the pctel mdc modem. If anyone has made any progress with this, please let me know.

                              Cheers
                              Taz