Re: Modified Mach64 X Server

  • Brian A. Auzenne
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 14, 2000
      I have partially corrected the problem. I no longer get the Config
      error, but I am still receiving the following error message when
      running startx;

      _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
      giving up.
      xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
      xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

      I am running RedHat 6.2 on a Dell Inspiron 7500. I am using 1400 X
      1050 resolution. I am using the XF86Config file and the XF86_Mach64
      file from steve's site. Does anyone know exactly what the error means
      and how to correct it? Thanks

      Brian
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, sjohni@c... wrote:
      > Brian:
      >
      > Did you check what resolution your LCD supports? What model (full
      > model name) do you have? Did you follow Steve H's instructions
      > carefully? (just checking)
      >
      > What editor did you use to edit the XF86Config file? I hope it
      wasn't
      > in Win9x since characters don't translate correctly when editing
      ASCII
      > files (has to do with carriage returns I believe).
      >
      > Reply back with a copy of your XF86Config file sent to me directly,
      > not to the list, if you have any questions. (You'll get flamed if
      you
      > send it to the list since it's bad form to send attachments to a
      mail
      > list).
      >
      > sji
      >
      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Brian A. Auzenne"
      > <ba1906@a...> wrote:
      > > I have followed the instructions on setting up X (Method 1) by
      > Steve
      > > Hsieh. I executed the "startx" command and I no longer receive
      > > the "black flickering screen". However, I receive the following
      > > error
      > > message:
      > >
      > > Config Error: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config:10
      > >
      > > Section "Files"
      > > ^^
      > >
      > > File section keyword expected
      > > _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno =111
      > > giving up
      > > xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X
      > server
      > > xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
      > >
      > > Does anyone know how to resolve this error? Any suggestions?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Brian
      > >
      > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, Wayne Burrows
      <wayneb@m...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > To view and use files from your windows partition in linux.
      > > >
      > > > Create a directory in /mnt called win
      > > > ( mkdir /mnt/win )
      > > >
      > > > use the mount command to make your windows partition useable.
      > > > ( mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win )
      > > >
      > > > If your windows partition doesn't exist in /dev/hda1 then you
      > will
      > > need to
      > > > change this to fit.
      > > >

      > > > I have a dir in windows c:\linux where I keep all of my linux
      > > related files
      > > > so that I have quick access to them, but once /mnt/win is
      mounted
      > > you can
      > > > browse or use any of the C: drive.
      > > >
      > > > If any of this is incomplete or just wrong I'm sure that someone
      > > out
      > > there
      > > > will correct me. I hope that this helped.
      > > >

      > > > Wayne Burrows

      Dell