Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Dualboot win2k and RH 7.1 ( win2k already installed )

  • jsc3@havoc.gtf.org
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 18, 2001
      > > So how did you create the ext2 partition to allow for /boot to be
      > > before the 1024 cylinder?
      >
      > no /boot partition... just 3 partitions root, swap and usr. My
      > understanding is that current versions of bootloaders don't care where thing
      > are located.

      This is correct. I can't remember if I had to update LILO for
      Redhat 7.0, but after updating LILO even as far back as Redhat
      6.2, I have been able to dispense with /boot (and good riddance).

      > > Did setup linux first? or windows? I've been reading around and
      > > people have said to create the necessary partitions in linux, one of
      > > which is for windows, using fdisk, setup linux then setup windows.
      >
      > I've never reinstalled Win2k... it's the way it came from Dell other then
      > the size ;) I just formatted the new 1/2 of the drive as ext2 then booted
      > from the debian disk, I ran through the partition setup in the installer.

      I have always heard do Windows first, that is what I have always done,
      and it has always worked fine that way. Linux expects there to other
      OS's around, and handles things sanely - Windows does not, probably
      intentionally.

      > > But then there are issues with the mbr for win2k. Can you give me
      > > more detail as to your exact process? Thanks for the help, much
      > > appreciated....
      >
      > There were no issues of the mbr for win2k. I placed lilo in the mbr during
      > the install. after the debian base install I edited /etc/lilo.config to
      > allow for "WinBlows" and mapped it to the first partition of the drive, ran
      > lilo and it was there on reboot.

      This is also my experience. If Win2K is installed first, then you
      can just put LILO in the MBR and it all works. I think there might
      be some issues with getting suspend working if you put LILO in the
      MBR though, but since I never use suspend to disk, I don't care
      much about that.

      --
      John Cronin