Re: Unsubscribe

  • lgreenwa@cts.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 17 10:15 AM
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., jsc3@h... wrote:
      > Steve said:
      > > Try going to the yahoogroups.com page and use their web interface
      to take
      > > yourself off the list..
      > >
      > > cheers,
      > > steve
      >
      > Most mail clients (such at Eudora and Netscape and I believe the
      > various versions of Outlook) allow you to modify the return address
      > on your email, so you can essentially appear to be any email address
      > you wish to be. If you attempt to abuse this to unsubscribe
      somebody
      > other than yourself, of course, the other headers and mail logs and
      > such can be used to track you down, but there is nothing to prevent
      > you from changing the return address to match the alias that the
      > list uses, and then send your unsubscribe.
      >
      > --
      > John Cronin
      > mailto: `echo NjsOc3@S... | sed 's/[NOSPAM]//g'`

      b) request confirmation 'you have requested to be unsubscribed from
      <mailing-list>. If you really meant to do this, please reply to the
      address of this letter to confirm'.

      When a mailing list uses option b), it will send an e-mail to the
      address on the list that originally subscribed. This is meant as a
      safety valve to prevent mailicious people from un-subscribing you
      from lists you want to have (or even subscribing you to lists you
      don't want to have) who send a message to the mailing list software
      of the form 'unsubscribe <person>' (or 'subscribe <person>').

      It's a bit of extra work, but worth the peace of mind you really
      meant the action you're taking.

      --LG