booting w/o CDROM hardware, then inserting later?

  • roy@frameandfocus.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6 4:28 AM
      I recently purchased a Latitude CPxH500GT, and installed RH Linux 6.2
      on it. Everything is operational, but I was wondering if anyone has
      made it posisble to boot without the cdrom present, and then swap it
      in later.

      I have compiled both the floppy drive "floppy.o" and ide-cd "ide-cd.o"
      as loadable modules. If I boot with the cdrom in, and then remove it
      later after using "rmmod ide-cd", I can swap out the floppy or cdrom
      at will.

      I should add that I have temporarily disabled the "magicdev" binary by
      renaming it to something else... it seems that the GNOME environment
      runs "magicdev" to keep track of CDROM insertions and auto-mounting,
      etc. Perhaps unchecking all auto-mounting options in the GNOME
      config. tool under cdrom would accomplish the same... but if you
      don't
      take care of this, you wouldn't be able to unload the "ide-cd" module
      while using the GNOME interface.

      If I boot without the cdrom present, then I receive the following
      message when explicitly issuing a "mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom"
      command:
      "mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device
      (maybe 'insmod driver'?).

      I also tried adding append="hdc=cdrom onlycd=none" to lilo.conf -- I
      have seen this written up elsewhere as preventing the kernel from
      auto-detecting the CDROM device, and forces it to think the CDROM
      exists on hdc regardless of whether it can see it or not.

      Any tips appreciated!

      -- roy