Dell Latitude CPx J750 w/RedHat 7.1Docking station config issue!
I am trying to understand the correct way in which you can configure
RedHat/Linux to work with a Laptop both in and out of a docking station/port
replicator. The docking station has Kbrd, Mouse, Monitor, internal NIC, and
a few other features as well. I have read the Laptop HOWTO, and was not able
to locate anything in particular on this subject.
Any tips would be great,
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp
- Here's the easiest system I've found:
(out of base)
- Install fresh version of RH 7.1
- If you are going to use PCMCIA devices, install with those installed
- If running X, go ahead and get that installed and stable
(in the base, once everything else is good)
- Plug in all devices to the base
- Dock your laptop
- If running X:
- When you turn it on, boot in init 3
- Kudzu will find all new hardware (nic, mouse, video)
- Install X 4.1.0
- Add the following line to your XFree config:
- Can't remember off the top of my head. Search this group for
the correct info (something like "Device" "BIOS"
- If not running X, Kudzu will find all hardware (nic, mouse)
- Reboot in base, all should be good
Everything works great in and out of the base. The only exception is
that when you're undocked, kudzu will notice there is no 3Com NIC. I
just select do nothing.
Hope this helps...
- Alan (gilmour_37@...)
--- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Aaron Tremblay" <mtnbkr32@h...>
> I am trying to understand the correct way in which you can
> RedHat/Linux to work with a Laptop both in and out of a dockingstation/port
> replicator. The docking station has Kbrd, Mouse, Monitor, internalNIC, and
> a few other features as well. I have read the Laptop HOWTO, and wasnot able
> to locate anything in particular on this subject.http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp
> Any tips would be great,
> Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at