Re: wired problem

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2001
      > so the problem is lilo. hmmm, may I should try grub.
      Could work, worth a shot. Please let me know how this turns out.

      > ps: I hate the win2k boot manager ;-)
      Me too, that is why I saved it as a "last resort", but I now have a
      new found respect for it. It was fairly easy to setup and has been
      very consistant and reliable.

      Good Luck.
      ~Jeff
    • degt@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2001
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Jeff" <gte076p@p...> wrote:
        > > so the problem is lilo. hmmm, may I should try grub.
        > Could work, worth a shot. Please let me know how this turns out.
        >
        > > ps: I hate the win2k boot manager ;-)
        > Me too, that is why I saved it as a "last resort", but I now have
        > new found respect for it. It was fairly easy to setup and has
        been
        > very consistant and reliable.

        Would you care to share? I tried it on XP and it just would not
        boot my Linux installation. I only get a black screen with a cursor.
        This is my boot.ini:

        [boot loader]
        timeout=30
        [operating systems]
        multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
        Professional" /fastdetect
        Professional" /fastdetect
        c:\linux\bootsect.lnx="Red Hat Linux 7.1"

        And the bootsect.lnx (gotten with dd if=/dev/hda8
        of=/tmp/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1) with /dev/hda8 being my /boot
        partition did not yield any good result. I thought it was because
        before I had /dev/hda (MBR???) but no, same result.

        This is very annoying, I'm thinking of putting the graphical Linux
        boot screen again but I think that overwrites the MBR,right? and if
        so that would prevent S2D from working (when it actually works,
        still doesn't).