Dell Laptop 8100, kernel 2.4.x, modem, ethernet card

  • Joel Cordonnier
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2001
      Hi !

      I'm a newbie with laptop stuff, and I plan to buy a
      Dell Laptop 8100. A goot choise ? (ps: I will by the
      I8k in germany or USA)

      I want to install Linux, a RH or suse distribution.
      AND I DON'T KNOW the stuff that linux don't support !

      I need your advice for:
      - Memory ? 256RAM enough ? 512 ?
      - ATA or DMA disk ? the difference ?
      - CD-RW ?
      - AND THE MORE IMPORTANT: Intern modem (with 10/100?
      )? PCMCIA modem ?
      - Xircom PCMCIA Ethernet or a 3com one ?

      Is there problem to install Gnome ?

      Thanks for the help
      /Joel

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2001
        > I'm a newbie with laptop stuff, and I plan to buy a
        > Dell Laptop 8100. A goot choise ? (ps: I will by the
        > I8k in germany or USA)

        I like my I8000.

        > I want to install Linux, a RH or suse distribution.
        > AND I DON'T KNOW the stuff that linux don't support !
        >
        > I need your advice for:
        > - Memory ? 256RAM enough ? 512 ?

        Buy 128 MB (or even 64 MB if they will let you) and then go to
        http://www.crucial.com and get one or two 256 MB SO-DIMMs from
        there. It will be much cheaper.

        > - ATA or DMA disk ? the difference ?

        They are all going to be about the same. If you are brave, you
        can even just get the 10 MB and then pickup a 30 GB Fujitsu for
        about $150 from http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=MHL2300AT
        (or even an IBM 48 GB drive, which is faster, for about $400 from
        http://www.googlegear.com/ggweb/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=100550).
        I got an IBM 32 GB drive for about $200 from Team Excess
        ( http://secured.teamexcess.com/servlet/teamx?cart=zxcezemsaodd&dept=IDE+Laptop&item=H-IB-DJSA232&action=itemdetail )
        and it is faster than the Hitachi 20 GB it replaces (the Fujitsu 30 GB
        will not be faster, just bigger).

        It's pretty easy to change drives, but best to do it right after you
        get the laptop, so you don't have to move a lot of data around - just
        reinstall Windows and then install Linux.

        > - CD-RW ?

        I got one, and I like it - I got the DVD and the separate 8X
        burner.

        > - AND THE MORE IMPORTANT: Intern modem (with 10/100?
        > )? PCMCIA modem ?
        > - Xircom PCMCIA Ethernet or a 3com one ?

        Go for the internal modem/NIC combo, and if you are lucky you
        will get the Actiontec card which has an Intel network controller
        and a Lucent Winmodem that works with the ltmodem driver. If
        you get the 3Com, the NIC will work but the Winmodem will not,
        so then get a PCMCIA modem known to work with Linux. Don't
        get a PCMCIA Ethernet, the internal ones work as well, and
        are cheaper, and you can leave your PCMCIA slots free.

        > Is there problem to install Gnome ?

        No. Redhat installs it by default, don't know about Suse.

        --
        John Cronin