Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Installation crashes on i8100

  • Brian Gold
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2001
      You said you have 512MB ram... did the laptop come this way, or are these
      add-in modules (esp. crucial's)? If so, try removing them and putting in
      the smallest amount of Dell RAM when you install. Something about current
      draw - the 8100 is 133MHz FSB, and the Crucial's are apparently the largest
      current-drawing mem chips around. I recall in my installation
      (8100/30GB/128MB), that the fan's kicked into high gear during the format.
      It's tough to say, but maybe that's causing problems for you? Even if
      you've got Dell mem., remove one of the two SODIMM's and try installing.
      Good luck!

      At 09:40 AM 10/2/2001 +0000, you wrote:
      >i8100, 30 Gig HDD, 512 Meg RAM.
      >
      >In text or graphical mode, installation crashes when formatting the
      >partitions and I cannot get past that. Booted with a floppy, no
      >pcmcia, booted with CD, booted in text, booted in graphical.
      >
      >In expert mode, using fdisk, it actually installs, but I get a CRC
      >error when going for the first boot.
      >
      >Okay, booting Linux...
      >CRC Error
      >--system halted.
      >
      >I've tried making the largest partition size 10 Gig. On every install
      >attempt I've put a /boot partition of 50 meg, I'm at a loss.
      >
      >Help? This isn't in the FAQ and there's at least one other person on
      >the board who is having the same problems.
      >
      >Thank you in advance.
      >DanH

    • Calvin N. Hobbes
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2001
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Brian Gold <bgold@v...> wrote:
        > You said you have 512MB ram... did the laptop come this way, or are
        these
        > add-in modules (esp. crucial's)? If so, try removing them and
        putting in
        > the smallest amount of Dell RAM when you install. Something about
        current
        > draw - the 8100 is 133MHz FSB, and the Crucial's are apparently the
        largest
        > current-drawing mem chips around. I recall in my installation
        > (8100/30GB/128MB), that the fan's kicked into high gear during the
        format.
        > It's tough to say, but maybe that's causing problems for you? Even if
        > you've got Dell mem., remove one of the two SODIMM's and try installing.

        It is Dell bought memory. Kingston memory from Dell. Two 256 DIMMS.
        I'll try using only one.

        I finally got it installed anyway. I used 'expert' mode and fdisk for
        the formatting. That seemed to work. It booted, but after the line:

        setting hostname localhost

        It started getting the same argument:

        /etc/rc.d/rc: /bin/egrep cannot execute binary file.

        I can hit CTRL-C and get to the next line, but I get the same thing
        for every one of the lines. It stalls on initializing syslog and it
        never comes back.

        I'll try a single 256 and then add the memory line in lilo.conf to
        bring it to 512.

        If there's anything else to try, please let me know.

        Thank you
        DanH