Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Intern mini PCI combo Card, 10/100 Ethernet

  • Juri Haberland
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
      Joel Cordonnier wrote:

      > OK !
      >
      > But I need to make a choise !!
      > So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
      > and for a modem ?

      I'd say, wait for some other opinions on this and if they say 'internal
      is ok' go for a internal combo and try to persuade DELL to give you the
      INTEL/Actiontec combination. Don't go for the 3Com combo.

      > And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??

      I think this one should work without a problem, but it's just a guess.

      > For Intern modem and 10/100 Ethernet, there are on ne
      > same card ? (no independant ?
      AFAIK you can get an internal modem only or you can get a combi-card
      with net+modem. There is just one internal slot for this purpose.

      Juri

      then each of us still has one object.
      If each of us have one idea, and we exchange them,
      then each of us now has two ideas.
    • jsc3@havoc.gtf.org
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
        > Joel Cordonnier wrote:
        > >
        > > OK !
        > >
        > > But I need to make a choise !!
        > > So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
        > > and for a modem ?
        >
        > I'd say, wait for some other opinions on this and if they say 'internal
        > is ok' go for a internal combo and try to persuade DELL to give you the
        > INTEL/Actiontec combination. Don't go for the 3Com combo.

        Even if you get the 3Com, the NIC is fine, and it is cheaper than the
        PCMCIA model. Then you can add a PCMCIA modem if necessary.

        > > And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??
        >
        > I think this one should work without a problem, but it's just a guess.

        I don't know either - I don't use modems much. At this point when
        traveling I think I would rather get a wireless card (in the mail
        as we speak - Amazon has great deals on SMC access points and cards)
        and war drive (borrow bandwidth from somebody's unsecured wireless
        access point - don't interfere, just check my email and such).

        > > For Intern modem and 10/100 Ethernet, there are on ne
        > > same card ? (no independant ?

        > AFAIK you can get an internal modem only or you can get a combi-card
        > with net+modem. There is just one internal slot for this purpose.

        This is correct.

        --
        John Cronin
      • camfranchuk@netscape.net
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Joel Cordonnier <jcordonn1972@y...> wrote:
          > OK !
          >
          > But I need to make a choise !!
          > So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
          > and for a modem ?
          >
          > And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??

          Works like a charm. You may have to upgrade your pcmcia-cs package,
          but I'm not sure (i had to upgrade mine anyway for my pcmcia network
          card).

        • camfranchuk@netscape.net
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Joel Cordonnier <jcordonn1972@y...> wrote:
            > OK !
            >
            > But I need to make a choise !!
            > So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
            > and for a modem ?
            >
            > And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??
            >
            > For Intern modem and 10/100 Ethernet, there are on ne
            > same card ? (no independant ?

            you may also want to consider this. dell is selling the Xircom 10/100
            56k Combo card (type III pcmcia) for only US$95 as an upgrade. Seems
            like the best solution of all (if its supported, that is).
          • dani@vratny.at
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
              i run the actiontec minipci combocard under mandrake8 and it does
              great work!

            • hadig@slac.stanford.edu
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001

                I run the Actiontec/Intel MiniPCI combo card on SuSE 7.1 without a problem.
                I would again go for it as it is cheaper than the PCMCIA cards and it has
                the sockets build-in into the notebook side, i.e. your PCMCIA slots are
                still available and you can not loose the adapter that is included with
                the PCMCIA cards (those cards are obviously too small to carry a phone or
                RJ45 socket themselves so you get a special cable that connects the PCMCIA
                card with on the one side and has a box with the sockets on the other. If you
                loose that cable, you have to buy a new card as you will not manage to get
                the boxes separately.

                > i run the actiontec minipci combocard under mandrake8 and it does
                > great work!
                >
                > On 2 Oct 2001, at 15:22, camfranchuk@... wrote:
                >
                > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Joel Cordonnier <jcordonn1972@y...> wrote:
                > > > OK !
                > > >
                > > > But I need to make a choise !!
                > > > So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
                > > > and for a modem ?
                > > >
                > > > And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??
                > >
                > > Works like a charm. You may have to upgrade your pcmcia-cs package,
                > > but I'm not sure (i had to upgrade mine anyway for my pcmcia network
                > > card).
                > >

                > > > For Intern modem and 10/100 Ethernet, there are on ne
                > > > same card ? (no independant ?
                > > >

                > > > Thanks
                > > > /Joel

                Ciao
                Thomas

                Thomas Hadig MS 62, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025, USA
                hadig@... Tel.: +1 650 926 2810
                http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~hadig/
                In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?
              • Joel Cordonnier
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 4, 2001
                  Hi !

                  You say:
                  > I don't know either - I don't use modems much. At
                  > this point when
                  > traveling I think I would rather get a wireless card
                  > (in the mail
                  > as we speak - Amazon has great deals on SMC access
                  > points and cards)
                  > and war drive (borrow bandwidth from somebody's
                  > unsecured wireless
                  > access point - don't interfere, just check my email
                  > and such).

                  - I don't know anything about wireless card: can you
                  explain me a bit, what it does, so I will see if it
                  good for me..

                  (I plan to buy me I8k next week).

                  - For the CD-RW , what meens 8x/4x/20x ? [CD-RW
                  Laufwerk mit Adaptec Brennsoftware (+400,00 DM)]

                  - What you say is to buy the laptop with the minimum
                  of RAM (128) and by the rest a www.crucial.com . Right
                  ? (I need 512 RAM)

                  - And what for the disk ? the same ? I know that I
                  need 20gb (with dual booting)
                  Where can I buy disks ? Is there problems for
                  compatibility ? Are there faster/slower ? 30 GB
                  Fujitsu for example

                  - you really see a difference for the 1 or a 1,13GHz
                  chip ?

                  - and for a 1400x105 or 600x1200 (with nVidia GeForce2
                  Go, 32 MB or 16MB )

                  ps: I work as a Java developper, and I want to run on
                  the laptop, a Web server, an Application server, a
                  DB,...

                  Thanks for the help (and choise!!)
                  /Joel

                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 6, 2001
                    Hi Joel,

                    as was mentioned in this forum before: A few people have reported problems
                    with Crucial memory as it is Mircon brand and seems to draw more current
                    than Samsung or Infineon (mostly reported by people with I8100 as the
                    setup and the NVidia graphics card seem to push the system to its power
                    limits. In addition, the timing of the Samsung seems to be somewhat faster.

                    I just today ordered 256MB at http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ for $35.
                    They offer both Samsung and Micron for that price.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 8, 2001
                      Hi ! Thanks for the reply.

                      I plan to buy an I8100 this week (I'm in Germany at
                      the moment).

                      I'm a newbie with laptop stuff, and with hardware in
                      general.
                      Could you give me some advice about:
                      - if I should order the laptop with the minimum of RAM
                      and by 2*256 elsewhere
                      - with the minimum 10Gb disk and order a bigger one
                      elsewhere

                      Some person says me that I don't have the choise of a
                      3Com auo ActionTec modem + 10/100 Ethernet card..

                      Thanks
                      /Joel

                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 8, 2001
                        Hi Joel,

                        > Hi ! Thanks for the reply.
                        >
                        > I plan to buy an I8100 this week (I'm in Germany at
                        > the moment).
                        >
                        > I'm a newbie with laptop stuff, and with hardware in
                        > general.
                        > Could you give me some advice about:
                        > - if I should order the laptop with the minimum of RAM
                        > and by 2*256 elsewhere

                        You can check the price difference and find out whether that is worth
                        the hassle of ordering at two different places, opening the notebook and
                        replacing it yourself. My experience is that it is much cheaper if you buy
                        it at a cheap shop. However, you might not want to take the extra cost
                        of sending it from USA and as I experienced, prices for computer spares
                        are more expensive in Germany, e.g. 90Euro for the same memory.

                        > - with the minimum 10Gb disk and order a bigger one
                        > elsewhere

                        I have never checked how hard it is to replace a hard disk and what the
                        costs are. In addition, hard disks produce some heat ... I would like to
                        know whether the heat specifications of the drive and the notebook match.
                        On the other hand, if you buy the same disk that Dell uses ...

                        > Some person says me that I don't have the choise of a
                        > 3Com auo ActionTec modem + 10/100 Ethernet card..

                        I heard that too and at least when you order on the internet there is
                        no selection to make that choice. I would order it anyway, as the 3com
                        network will work anyway.

                        > Thanks
                        > /Joel
                        >

                        > > Hi Joel,
                        > >
                        > > as was mentioned in this forum before: A few people
                        > > have reported problems
                        > > with Crucial memory as it is Mircon brand and seems
                        > > to draw more current
                        > > than Samsung or Infineon (mostly reported by people
                        > > with I8100 as the
                        > > setup and the NVidia graphics card seem to push the
                        > > system to its power
                        > > limits. In addition, the timing of the Samsung seems
                        > > to be somewhat faster.
                        > >
                        > > I just today ordered 256MB at
                        > > http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ for $35.
                        > > They offer both Samsung and Micron for that price.
                        > >
                        > > > - What you say is to buy the laptop with the
                        > > minimum
                        > > > of RAM (128) and by the rest a www.crucial.com .
                        > > Right
                        > > > ? (I need 512 RAM)
                        > >
                        > > Ciao
                        > > Thomas

                        Ciao
                        Thomas

                        Thomas Hadig MS 62, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025, USA
                        hadig@... Tel.: +1 650 926 2810
                        http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~hadig/
                        In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?
                      • Stephen Lau
                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 8, 2001
                          On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 11:30:01AM +0200, Joel Cordonnier wrote:
                          > - if I should order the laptop with the minimum of RAM
                          > and by 2*256 elsewhere

                          definitely yes

                          > - with the minimum 10Gb disk and order a bigger one
                          > elsewhere

                          probably not worth it - dell usually gives reasonably competitive prices
                          on their hard drives. i would just get the larger one through dell with
                          the laptop order.

                          > Some person says me that I don't have the choise of a
                          > 3Com auo ActionTec modem + 10/100 Ethernet card..

                          nope, you don't. you get whatever dell sees fit to give you. :)

                          -steve

                        • jsc3@havoc.gtf.org
                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 8, 2001
                            > > - with the minimum 10Gb disk and order a bigger one
                            > > elsewhere
                            >
                            > I have never checked how hard it is to replace a hard disk and what the
                            > costs are. In addition, hard disks produce some heat ... I would like to
                            > know whether the heat specifications of the drive and the notebook match.
                            > On the other hand, if you buy the same disk that Dell uses ...

                            It is actually pretty easy to replace the drive itself, only a bit
                            harder than the memory, but then you have to get all your OS, apps,
                            data etc to the new drive, and that can be a lot of work.

                            I bought a new 32 GB IBM drive, which Dell did once sell with the
                            8000 series, and certainly it is no worse in the heat specs than the
                            IBM 48 GB drive available with new 8100s now.

                            Looking at the upgrade prices for disks now, they are a lot more
                            competitive than they were a few months ago. I would probably just
                            get the disk from Dell at this point.

                            --
                            John Cronin
                          • Joel Cordonnier
                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 9, 2001
                              Hi !

                              Some people says that there are some problem with the
                              memory that come from www.crucial.com, on I8100: what
                              for a problem ??

                              I plan to buy my I8100 with the minimum of RAM, and
                              buy 2 cards of 256. From Samsung or Infineon ? Can
                              some says me some criteria that will help me to make
                              the choice ?

                              I'm in germany at the moment ? Is there some reseller
                              there ?

                              Thanks
                              /Joel

                              > as was mentioned in this forum before: A few people
                              > have reported problems
                              > with Crucial memory as it is Mircon brand and seems
                              > to draw more current
                              > than Samsung or Infineon (mostly reported by people
                              > with I8100 as the
                              > setup and the NVidia graphics card seem to push the
                              > system to its power
                              > limits. In addition, the timing of the Samsung seems
                              > to be somewhat faster.
                              >
                              > I just today ordered 256MB at
                              > http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ for $35.
                              > They offer both Samsung and Micron for that price.
                              >
                              > > - What you say is to buy the laptop with the
                              > minimum
                              > > of RAM (128) and by the rest a www.crucial.com .
                              > Right
                              > > ? (I need 512 RAM)

                              Un nouveau Nokia Game commence.
                              Allez sur http://fr.yahoo.com/nokiagame avant le 3 novembre
                              pour participer à cette aventure tous médias.
                            • hadig@slac.stanford.edu
                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 9, 2001
                                Hi Joel,

                                here are sections of a few messages from this forum:

                                Fri, 07 Sep 2001:
                                Just a word of warning about Crucial memory... there are many reports
                                of Inspiron 8k and 8k1 shutting down when 256Mb crucial SODIMMs are
                                used with the Geforce2Go (see DellTalk forums: Inspiron Video and
                                Inspiron Upgrade). Failure seems to occur when the GeForce2Go is
                                working hard. Apparently the crucial memory has higher current
                                requirements than most other modules around and this combined with
                                the demands of the G2G is too much for the machine to handle.

                                I haven't seen reports of this under linux +X +openGL but it seems
                                like a good idea to avoid Crucial in the short term, not least
                                becuase there are better deals on other similar RAM at the moment.

                                Cheaper Infineon and Samsung 256Mb PC133 SODIMMs (which apparently
                                draw less current) are available from http://www.memorysuppliers.com
                                ($40ea) These are CAS Latency 3 modules at PC133 (despite what the
                                webpage says) but the i8k1 always runs at CL3 anyway according to
                                Dell Support and observations people have made when using CL2 SODIMMs.

                                same day:
                                Hi all, Ron,

                                You would hope that there was a maximum current restriction as part
                                of the various memory interface standards but I'm not sure that there
                                is. Does anyone know? Alternatively, perhaps Dell doesn't meet the
                                maximum current spec on the supply side in the i8k and i8k1.

                                As the following data (taken from manufacturers' specs) show, there
                                is a significant variation in the current demands of different
                                brands' modules. These specs are cut'n'pasted from a DellTalk thread
                                on this subject.

                                Micron (Crucial) MT16LSDF3264HG module (32Mx64 8-chip 133Mhz. CL2)
                                Active mode current (1 bank) ~1.3A
                                Burst mode current ~1.3A
                                Auto Refresh current ~5.2A

                                Samsung M46453254BT2 module (32Mx64 8-chip 133Mhz. CL2)
                                Active mode current (1 bank) .74A
                                Burst mode current .86A
                                Auto Refresh current 1.0A

                                As far as the shutdown problem is concerned:
                                Unfortunately, Dell won't address the problem because it occurs with
                                third party RAM. Crucial won't address the problem because they say
                                that a driver fixes the issue. I think they mean using nVidia's
                                powermizer to limit the speed and power of the g2g, which probably
                                isn't what you want to do if you've just paid the premium to have
                                that chipset...

                                Sun, 09 Sep 2001:
                                To summarise my understanding of the shutdown G2G issue:

                                The shutdown problem was first reported with the Inspiron 8000 and
                                32Mb GeForce2Go. It seems that one or more Crucial 256Mb SoDIMMS in
                                a system is the other trigger factor. I believe that the problem has
                                been observed occurred using both PC100 and PC133 memory (at 100Mhz)
                                in the i8k, and using PC133 memory in the i8k1.

                                Running RAM at 133MHz will obviously increase its current draw, so
                                the issue will be exacerbated in the i8k1.

                                I came across this issue when researching a RAM upgrade for my
                                recently ordered i8k1, so all of what I say I have learnt from
                                others' reports. I'm passing on this info as RAM upgrades are
                                obviously desirable at the moment (given the low prices) but this
                                seems to be a lurking gremlin...

                                Of the available PC133 256Mb SoDIMMS, Infineon's modules appear to
                                have the lowest current demands, followed by Samsung (and Kingston
                                which seems to be rebadging Samsung's modules for this spec) with
                                Crucial considerable higher.

                              • jennifer_ekstrom@usa.net
                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 11, 2001
                                  Hello,

                                  Ever since installing an additional 256M of memory from
                                  Crucial, I have been having a lot of problems with my
                                  Inspiron 5000e. I have a dual boot Windows 2000/Linux
                                  Mandrake system. I am currently running windows, and
                                  my computer is crashing like crazy -- about once every
                                  two hours. It has crashed when I am using Microsoft
                                  Outlook, Internet Explorer, Word, and sometimes even
                                  crashes when I am first starting up the computer. I
                                  have scanned the computer with Norton Antivirus -- no
                                  viruses. I've been running Norton Utilities also, but
                                  this does not seem to resolve the crash issue.

                                  I'm wondering if this might be a memory issue, as the
                                  problems seem to coincide with the installation of my
                                  new memory. Also, when I look at the info on my system
                                  in the control panel, it only accounts the original amount
                                  of RAM (256Mb not 512Mb).

                                  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to diagnose
                                  what is going on? Does this sound like a memory issue?
                                  I could contact Crucial to ask for a new memory module,
                                  but would like to know that this is indeed a memory issue.
                                  Does anyone have any ideas of other things that could be
                                  causing this?

                                  Thanks much!

                                  Jennifer
                                • Ron Menelli
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 11, 2001
                                    As reported several times on this list, Crucial's memory consumes a lot
                                    more power than other brands, enough that it might cause a problem. You
                                    probably should try another brand or memory. Do a search on this list's
                                    message archive and you'll find more information.

                                    -Ron Menelli
                                    ron@...

                                    On Thu, 2001-10-11 at 12:59, jennifer_ekstrom@... wrote:
                                    > Hello,
                                    >
                                    > Ever since installing an additional 256M of memory from
                                    > Crucial, I have been having a lot of problems with my
                                    > Inspiron 5000e. I have a dual boot Windows 2000/Linux
                                    > Mandrake system. I am currently running windows, and
                                    > my computer is crashing like crazy -- about once every
                                    > two hours. It has crashed when I am using Microsoft
                                    > Outlook, Internet Explorer, Word, and sometimes even
                                    > crashes when I am first starting up the computer. I
                                    > have scanned the computer with Norton Antivirus -- no
                                    > viruses. I've been running Norton Utilities also, but
                                    > this does not seem to resolve the crash issue.
                                    >
                                    > I'm wondering if this might be a memory issue, as the
                                    > problems seem to coincide with the installation of my
                                    > new memory. Also, when I look at the info on my system
                                    > in the control panel, it only accounts the original amount
                                    > of RAM (256Mb not 512Mb).
                                    >
                                    > Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to diagnose
                                    > what is going on? Does this sound like a memory issue?
                                    > I could contact Crucial to ask for a new memory module,
                                    > but would like to know that this is indeed a memory issue.
                                    > Does anyone have any ideas of other things that could be
                                    > causing this?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks much!
                                    >
                                    > Jennifer

                                  • Jennifer Ekstrom
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 12, 2001
                                      The Crucial memory probably was the source of my problems.  I removed it
                                      last night, and my 5000e has not crashed since.

                                      I checked out MemorySuppliers at http://www.memorysuppliers.com/144pinpcsod.html
                                      Their listing of computers guaranteed to work with their SODIMMS includes
                                      the i5k, but *not* the 850 MHz version (which I own).

                                      Naturally, I'd prefer to buy my memory for $34, rather than for $148.95 from Dell.
                                      But after my experience with the Crucial memory (see below), I'd like to know
                                      beforehand that the memory will truly be compatible.  Can anyone tell me
                                      with certainty whether the Memory Suppliers memory will work with my
                                      system?

                                      Any 850 MHz i5000e owners on the list?  Should I buy the Infineon, the
                                      Samsung, or the Micron 256MB PC133 144PIN SODIMM module?  Do I
                                      definitely want to take the PC133 over the PC100 module?

                                      Thanks much for reading,
                                      Jennifer

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Oct 12, 2001
                                        > The Crucial memory probably was the source of my problems. I removed it
                                        > last night, and my 5000e has not crashed since.

                                        If you bought the memory from Crucial, call them and explain the problem.
                                        I read on DellTalk that Crucial exchanged another user's memory that was
                                        having problems.
                                        --
                                        Eric Dittman
                                        dittman@...
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Oct 12, 2001
                                          I could exchange for another Crucial module -- but I already got authorization from
                                          Crucial to return the memory to them for a refund (minus 20% restocking fee).
                                          My instinct is to try something made by a different manufacturer...

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Oct 12, 2001
                                            > I could exchange for another Crucial module -- but I already got
                                            > authorization from
                                            > Crucial to return the memory to them for a refund (minus 20% restocking
                                            > fee).
                                            > My instinct is to try something made by a different manufacturer...

                                            I don't think it would hurt to try a different Crucial module (that's
                                            what Crucial did for the other user; they swapped the user's current
                                            module for one with a different RAM configuration, solving the other
                                            user's problem) if you can save the 20% restocking fee.
                                            --
                                            Eric Dittman
                                            dittman@...
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Oct 12, 2001
                                              > I could exchange for another Crucial module -- but I already got
                                              > authorization from
                                              > Crucial to return the memory to them for a refund (minus 20% restocking
                                              > fee).
                                              > My instinct is to try something made by a different manufacturer...

                                              I have two Crucial 256 MB modules in my I8K and I have NEVER had any
                                              problem out of them. If it was not for the reports that they draw
                                              a lot of current, I would recommend Crucial memory 100%; as it is I
                                              recommend them 90%. They have decent prices and a good reputation.
                                              I have other memory modules in several computers at home, and I have
                                              not had problems with any of them.

                                              --
                                              John Cronin
                                            • hadig@slac.stanford.edu
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Oct 12, 2001

                                                someone else posted in September that Crucial sells the Micron brand, so
                                                if the Crucial memories do not work for you, the Micron from memorysuppliers
                                                will not be better, I assume. Someone else posted on the same day that the
                                                Micron draw 2 to 5 times more current than the Samsung ... which might be
                                                the factor causing the problems. So Samsung might be worth a try. This
                                                person also mentioned that the Infineon are even slightly better but
                                                I did not see them at memorysuppliers.

                                                To find the quotes, check the original posting or my posting from two
                                                days ago where I quotes the passages.