Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Intern mini PCI combo Card, 10/100 Ethernet

  • Juri Haberland
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 2 3:04 AM
      Joel Cordonnier wrote:

      > >One with 3Com network chip on it which works well but
      > the 3Comsoft-modem is not supported
      >
      > i.e Ethernet card supported BUT not the modem ????

      Yep, 3Com doesn't release any info nor a binary-only driver for their
      winmodem :(

      > and one with an Intel eepro100 and a ActionTec
      > soft-modem which both are supported.

      > With Suse ???

      Both network adapters should be supported out of the box but for the
      Actiontec winmodem you need additional drivers. Have a look at the FAQ:
      http://www.whacked.net/ldl-faq

      Cheers,
      Juri

      then each of us still has one object.
      If each of us have one idea, and we exchange them,
      then each of us now has two ideas.
    • Joel Cordonnier
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 2 3:05 AM
        have an I8000 with the eepro100/Actiontec combo
        > running RedHat 7.1. Network works like a charm -

        haven't tried the Actiontec yet but a lot
        > of others have reported success with the Actiontec.
        Your are speeking about the modem ??

        ok ! And no problem with rh7.1 ? because I have one
        year ago installed rh7.0, but that version was so
        buggy !!

        /Joel

      • Joel Cordonnier
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 2 3:08 AM
          OK !

          But I need to make a choise !!
          So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
          and for a modem ?

          And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??

          For Intern modem and 10/100 Ethernet, there are on ne
          same card ? (no independant ?

          Thanks
          /Joel

          --- Juri Haberland <haberland@...> a écrit : >
          Joel Cordonnier wrote:

          > > >One with 3Com network chip on it which works well
          > but
          > > the 3Comsoft-modem is not supported
          > >
          > > i.e Ethernet card supported BUT not the modem ????
          >
          > Yep, 3Com doesn't release any info nor a binary-only
          > driver for their
          > winmodem :(
          >
          > > and one with an Intel eepro100 and a ActionTec
          > > soft-modem which both are supported.
          >
          > > With Suse ???
          >
          > Both network adapters should be supported out of the
          > box but for the
          > Actiontec winmodem you need additional drivers. Have
          > a look at the FAQ:
          > http://www.whacked.net/ldl-faq
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Juri
          >
          > --
          > If each of us have one object, and we exchange
          > them,
          > then each of us still has one object.
          > If each of us have one idea, and we exchange
          > them,
          > then each of us now has two ideas.

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Juri Haberland
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 2 3:23 AM
            Joel Cordonnier wrote:

            > OK !
            >
            > But I need to make a choise !!
            > So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
            > and for a modem ?

            I'd say, wait for some other opinions on this and if they say 'internal
            is ok' go for a internal combo and try to persuade DELL to give you the
            INTEL/Actiontec combination. Don't go for the 3Com combo.

            > And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??

            I think this one should work without a problem, but it's just a guess.

            > For Intern modem and 10/100 Ethernet, there are on ne
            > same card ? (no independant ?
            AFAIK you can get an internal modem only or you can get a combi-card
            with net+modem. There is just one internal slot for this purpose.

          • jsc3@havoc.gtf.org
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 2 6:47 AM
              > Joel Cordonnier wrote:
              > >
              > > OK !
              > >
              > > But I need to make a choise !!
              > > So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
              > > and for a modem ?
              >
              > I'd say, wait for some other opinions on this and if they say 'internal
              > is ok' go for a internal combo and try to persuade DELL to give you the
              > INTEL/Actiontec combination. Don't go for the 3Com combo.

              Even if you get the 3Com, the NIC is fine, and it is cheaper than the
              PCMCIA model. Then you can add a PCMCIA modem if necessary.

              > > And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??
              >
              > I think this one should work without a problem, but it's just a guess.

              I don't know either - I don't use modems much. At this point when
              traveling I think I would rather get a wireless card (in the mail
              as we speak - Amazon has great deals on SMC access points and cards)
              and war drive (borrow bandwidth from somebody's unsecured wireless
              access point - don't interfere, just check my email and such).

              > > For Intern modem and 10/100 Ethernet, there are on ne
              > > same card ? (no independant ?

              > AFAIK you can get an internal modem only or you can get a combi-card
              > with net+modem. There is just one internal slot for this purpose.

              This is correct.

              --
              John Cronin
            • camfranchuk@netscape.net
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 2 8:22 AM
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Joel Cordonnier <jcordonn1972@y...> wrote:
                > OK !
                >
                > But I need to make a choise !!
                > So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
                > and for a modem ?
                >
                > And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??

                Works like a charm. You may have to upgrade your pcmcia-cs package,
                but I'm not sure (i had to upgrade mine anyway for my pcmcia network
                card).

              • camfranchuk@netscape.net
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 2 9:25 AM
                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Joel Cordonnier <jcordonn1972@y...> wrote:
                  > OK !
                  >
                  > But I need to make a choise !!
                  > So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
                  > and for a modem ?
                  >
                  > And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??
                  >
                  > For Intern modem and 10/100 Ethernet, there are on ne
                  > same card ? (no independant ?

                  you may also want to consider this. dell is selling the Xircom 10/100
                  56k Combo card (type III pcmcia) for only US$95 as an upgrade. Seems
                  like the best solution of all (if its supported, that is).
                • dani@vratny.at
                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 2 9:48 AM
                    i run the actiontec minipci combocard under mandrake8 and it does
                    great work!

                  • hadig@slac.stanford.edu
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 2 5:08 PM
                      Hi,

                      I run the Actiontec/Intel MiniPCI combo card on SuSE 7.1 without a problem.
                      I would again go for it as it is cheaper than the PCMCIA cards and it has
                      the sockets build-in into the notebook side, i.e. your PCMCIA slots are
                      still available and you can not loose the adapter that is included with
                      the PCMCIA cards (those cards are obviously too small to carry a phone or
                      RJ45 socket themselves so you get a special cable that connects the PCMCIA
                      card with on the one side and has a box with the sockets on the other. If you
                      loose that cable, you have to buy a new card as you will not manage to get
                      the boxes separately.

                      > i run the actiontec minipci combocard under mandrake8 and it does
                      > great work!
                      >
                      > On 2 Oct 2001, at 15:22, camfranchuk@... wrote:
                      >
                      > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Joel Cordonnier <jcordonn1972@y...> wrote:
                      > > > OK !
                      > > >
                      > > > But I need to make a choise !!
                      > > > So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
                      > > > and for a modem ?
                      > > >
                      > > > And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??
                      > >
                      > > Works like a charm. You may have to upgrade your pcmcia-cs package,
                      > > but I'm not sure (i had to upgrade mine anyway for my pcmcia network
                      > > card).
                      > >

                      > > > For Intern modem and 10/100 Ethernet, there are on ne
                      > > > same card ? (no independant ?
                      > > >

                      > > > Thanks
                      > > > /Joel

                      Ciao
                      Thomas

                      Thomas Hadig MS 62, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025, USA
                      hadig@... Tel.: +1 650 926 2810
                      http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~hadig/
                      In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?
                    • Joel Cordonnier
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 4 11:02 AM
                        Hi !

                        You say:
                        > I don't know either - I don't use modems much. At
                        > this point when
                        > traveling I think I would rather get a wireless card
                        > (in the mail
                        > as we speak - Amazon has great deals on SMC access
                        > points and cards)
                        > and war drive (borrow bandwidth from somebody's
                        > unsecured wireless
                        > access point - don't interfere, just check my email
                        > and such).

                        - I don't know anything about wireless card: can you
                        explain me a bit, what it does, so I will see if it
                        good for me..

                        (I plan to buy me I8k next week).

                        - For the CD-RW , what meens 8x/4x/20x ? [CD-RW
                        Laufwerk mit Adaptec Brennsoftware (+400,00 DM)]

                        - What you say is to buy the laptop with the minimum
                        of RAM (128) and by the rest a www.crucial.com . Right
                        ? (I need 512 RAM)

                        - And what for the disk ? the same ? I know that I
                        need 20gb (with dual booting)
                        Where can I buy disks ? Is there problems for
                        compatibility ? Are there faster/slower ? 30 GB
                        Fujitsu for example

                        - you really see a difference for the 1 or a 1,13GHz
                        chip ?

                        - and for a 1400x105 or 600x1200 (with nVidia GeForce2
                        Go, 32 MB or 16MB )

                        ps: I work as a Java developper, and I want to run on
                        the laptop, a Web server, an Application server, a
                        DB,...

                        Thanks for the help (and choise!!)
                        /Joel

                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 6 10:29 PM
                          Hi Joel,

                          as was mentioned in this forum before: A few people have reported problems
                          with Crucial memory as it is Mircon brand and seems to draw more current
                          than Samsung or Infineon (mostly reported by people with I8100 as the
                          setup and the NVidia graphics card seem to push the system to its power
                          limits. In addition, the timing of the Samsung seems to be somewhat faster.

                          I just today ordered 256MB at http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ for $35.
                          They offer both Samsung and Micron for that price.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 8 2:30 AM
                            Hi ! Thanks for the reply.

                            I plan to buy an I8100 this week (I'm in Germany at
                            the moment).

                            I'm a newbie with laptop stuff, and with hardware in
                            general.
                            Could you give me some advice about:
                            - if I should order the laptop with the minimum of RAM
                            and by 2*256 elsewhere
                            - with the minimum 10Gb disk and order a bigger one
                            elsewhere

                            Some person says me that I don't have the choise of a
                            3Com auo ActionTec modem + 10/100 Ethernet card..

                            Thanks
                            /Joel

                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 8 9:13 AM
                              Hi Joel,

                              > Hi ! Thanks for the reply.
                              >
                              > I plan to buy an I8100 this week (I'm in Germany at
                              > the moment).
                              >
                              > I'm a newbie with laptop stuff, and with hardware in
                              > general.
                              > Could you give me some advice about:
                              > - if I should order the laptop with the minimum of RAM
                              > and by 2*256 elsewhere

                              You can check the price difference and find out whether that is worth
                              the hassle of ordering at two different places, opening the notebook and
                              replacing it yourself. My experience is that it is much cheaper if you buy
                              it at a cheap shop. However, you might not want to take the extra cost
                              of sending it from USA and as I experienced, prices for computer spares
                              are more expensive in Germany, e.g. 90Euro for the same memory.

                              > - with the minimum 10Gb disk and order a bigger one
                              > elsewhere

                              I have never checked how hard it is to replace a hard disk and what the
                              costs are. In addition, hard disks produce some heat ... I would like to
                              know whether the heat specifications of the drive and the notebook match.
                              On the other hand, if you buy the same disk that Dell uses ...

                              > Some person says me that I don't have the choise of a
                              > 3Com auo ActionTec modem + 10/100 Ethernet card..

                              I heard that too and at least when you order on the internet there is
                              no selection to make that choice. I would order it anyway, as the 3com
                              network will work anyway.

                              > Thanks
                              > /Joel
                              >

                              > > Hi Joel,
                              > >
                              > > as was mentioned in this forum before: A few people
                              > > have reported problems
                              > > with Crucial memory as it is Mircon brand and seems
                              > > to draw more current
                              > > than Samsung or Infineon (mostly reported by people
                              > > with I8100 as the
                              > > setup and the NVidia graphics card seem to push the
                              > > system to its power
                              > > limits. In addition, the timing of the Samsung seems
                              > > to be somewhat faster.
                              > >
                              > > I just today ordered 256MB at
                              > > http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ for $35.
                              > > They offer both Samsung and Micron for that price.
                              > >
                              > > > - What you say is to buy the laptop with the
                              > > minimum
                              > > > of RAM (128) and by the rest a www.crucial.com .
                              > > Right
                              > > > ? (I need 512 RAM)
                              > >
                              > > Ciao
                              > > Thomas

                              Ciao
                              Thomas

                              Thomas Hadig MS 62, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025, USA
                              hadig@... Tel.: +1 650 926 2810
                              http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~hadig/
                              In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?
                            • Stephen Lau
                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 8 9:23 AM
                                On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 11:30:01AM +0200, Joel Cordonnier wrote:
                                > - if I should order the laptop with the minimum of RAM
                                > and by 2*256 elsewhere

                                definitely yes

                                > - with the minimum 10Gb disk and order a bigger one
                                > elsewhere

                                probably not worth it - dell usually gives reasonably competitive prices
                                on their hard drives. i would just get the larger one through dell with
                                the laptop order.

                                > Some person says me that I don't have the choise of a
                                > 3Com auo ActionTec modem + 10/100 Ethernet card..

                                nope, you don't. you get whatever dell sees fit to give you. :)

                                -steve

                              • jsc3@havoc.gtf.org
                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 8 10:03 AM
                                  > > - with the minimum 10Gb disk and order a bigger one
                                  > > elsewhere
                                  >
                                  > I have never checked how hard it is to replace a hard disk and what the
                                  > costs are. In addition, hard disks produce some heat ... I would like to
                                  > know whether the heat specifications of the drive and the notebook match.
                                  > On the other hand, if you buy the same disk that Dell uses ...

                                  It is actually pretty easy to replace the drive itself, only a bit
                                  harder than the memory, but then you have to get all your OS, apps,
                                  data etc to the new drive, and that can be a lot of work.

                                  I bought a new 32 GB IBM drive, which Dell did once sell with the
                                  8000 series, and certainly it is no worse in the heat specs than the
                                  IBM 48 GB drive available with new 8100s now.

                                  Looking at the upgrade prices for disks now, they are a lot more
                                  competitive than they were a few months ago. I would probably just
                                  get the disk from Dell at this point.

                                  --
                                  John Cronin
                                • Joel Cordonnier
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 9 12:30 AM
                                    Hi !

                                    Some people says that there are some problem with the
                                    memory that come from www.crucial.com, on I8100: what
                                    for a problem ??

                                    I plan to buy my I8100 with the minimum of RAM, and
                                    buy 2 cards of 256. From Samsung or Infineon ? Can
                                    some says me some criteria that will help me to make
                                    the choice ?

                                    I'm in germany at the moment ? Is there some reseller
                                    there ?

                                    Thanks
                                    /Joel

                                    > as was mentioned in this forum before: A few people
                                    > have reported problems
                                    > with Crucial memory as it is Mircon brand and seems
                                    > to draw more current
                                    > than Samsung or Infineon (mostly reported by people
                                    > with I8100 as the
                                    > setup and the NVidia graphics card seem to push the
                                    > system to its power
                                    > limits. In addition, the timing of the Samsung seems
                                    > to be somewhat faster.
                                    >
                                    > I just today ordered 256MB at
                                    > http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ for $35.
                                    > They offer both Samsung and Micron for that price.
                                    >
                                    > > - What you say is to buy the laptop with the
                                    > minimum
                                    > > of RAM (128) and by the rest a www.crucial.com .
                                    > Right
                                    > > ? (I need 512 RAM)

                                    Un nouveau Nokia Game commence.
                                    Allez sur http://fr.yahoo.com/nokiagame avant le 3 novembre
                                    pour participer à cette aventure tous médias.
                                  • hadig@slac.stanford.edu
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 9 2:01 PM
                                      Hi Joel,

                                      here are sections of a few messages from this forum:

                                      Fri, 07 Sep 2001:
                                      Just a word of warning about Crucial memory... there are many reports
                                      of Inspiron 8k and 8k1 shutting down when 256Mb crucial SODIMMs are
                                      used with the Geforce2Go (see DellTalk forums: Inspiron Video and
                                      Inspiron Upgrade). Failure seems to occur when the GeForce2Go is
                                      working hard. Apparently the crucial memory has higher current
                                      requirements than most other modules around and this combined with
                                      the demands of the G2G is too much for the machine to handle.

                                      I haven't seen reports of this under linux +X +openGL but it seems
                                      like a good idea to avoid Crucial in the short term, not least
                                      becuase there are better deals on other similar RAM at the moment.

                                      Cheaper Infineon and Samsung 256Mb PC133 SODIMMs (which apparently
                                      draw less current) are available from http://www.memorysuppliers.com
                                      ($40ea) These are CAS Latency 3 modules at PC133 (despite what the
                                      webpage says) but the i8k1 always runs at CL3 anyway according to
                                      Dell Support and observations people have made when using CL2 SODIMMs.

                                      same day:
                                      Hi all, Ron,

                                      You would hope that there was a maximum current restriction as part
                                      of the various memory interface standards but I'm not sure that there
                                      is. Does anyone know? Alternatively, perhaps Dell doesn't meet the
                                      maximum current spec on the supply side in the i8k and i8k1.

                                      As the following data (taken from manufacturers' specs) show, there
                                      is a significant variation in the current demands of different
                                      brands' modules. These specs are cut'n'pasted from a DellTalk thread
                                      on this subject.

                                      Micron (Crucial) MT16LSDF3264HG module (32Mx64 8-chip 133Mhz. CL2)
                                      Active mode current (1 bank) ~1.3A
                                      Burst mode current ~1.3A
                                      Auto Refresh current ~5.2A

                                      Samsung M46453254BT2 module (32Mx64 8-chip 133Mhz. CL2)
                                      Active mode current (1 bank) .74A
                                      Burst mode current .86A
                                      Auto Refresh current 1.0A

                                      As far as the shutdown problem is concerned:
                                      Unfortunately, Dell won't address the problem because it occurs with
                                      third party RAM. Crucial won't address the problem because they say
                                      that a driver fixes the issue. I think they mean using nVidia's
                                      powermizer to limit the speed and power of the g2g, which probably
                                      isn't what you want to do if you've just paid the premium to have
                                      that chipset...

                                      Sun, 09 Sep 2001:
                                      To summarise my understanding of the shutdown G2G issue:

                                      The shutdown problem was first reported with the Inspiron 8000 and
                                      32Mb GeForce2Go. It seems that one or more Crucial 256Mb SoDIMMS in
                                      a system is the other trigger factor. I believe that the problem has
                                      been observed occurred using both PC100 and PC133 memory (at 100Mhz)
                                      in the i8k, and using PC133 memory in the i8k1.

                                      Running RAM at 133MHz will obviously increase its current draw, so
                                      the issue will be exacerbated in the i8k1.

                                      I came across this issue when researching a RAM upgrade for my
                                      recently ordered i8k1, so all of what I say I have learnt from
                                      others' reports. I'm passing on this info as RAM upgrades are
                                      obviously desirable at the moment (given the low prices) but this
                                      seems to be a lurking gremlin...

                                      Of the available PC133 256Mb SoDIMMS, Infineon's modules appear to
                                      have the lowest current demands, followed by Samsung (and Kingston
                                      which seems to be rebadging Samsung's modules for this spec) with
                                      Crucial considerable higher.

                                    • jennifer_ekstrom@usa.net
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Oct 11 12:59 PM
                                        Hello,

                                        Ever since installing an additional 256M of memory from
                                        Crucial, I have been having a lot of problems with my
                                        Inspiron 5000e. I have a dual boot Windows 2000/Linux
                                        Mandrake system. I am currently running windows, and
                                        my computer is crashing like crazy -- about once every
                                        two hours. It has crashed when I am using Microsoft
                                        Outlook, Internet Explorer, Word, and sometimes even
                                        crashes when I am first starting up the computer. I
                                        have scanned the computer with Norton Antivirus -- no
                                        viruses. I've been running Norton Utilities also, but
                                        this does not seem to resolve the crash issue.

                                        I'm wondering if this might be a memory issue, as the
                                        problems seem to coincide with the installation of my
                                        new memory. Also, when I look at the info on my system
                                        in the control panel, it only accounts the original amount
                                        of RAM (256Mb not 512Mb).

                                        Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to diagnose
                                        what is going on? Does this sound like a memory issue?
                                        I could contact Crucial to ask for a new memory module,
                                        but would like to know that this is indeed a memory issue.
                                        Does anyone have any ideas of other things that could be
                                        causing this?

                                        Thanks much!

                                        Jennifer
                                      • Ron Menelli
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Oct 11 4:25 PM
                                          As reported several times on this list, Crucial's memory consumes a lot
                                          more power than other brands, enough that it might cause a problem. You
                                          probably should try another brand or memory. Do a search on this list's
                                          message archive and you'll find more information.

                                          -Ron Menelli
                                          ron@...

                                          On Thu, 2001-10-11 at 12:59, jennifer_ekstrom@... wrote:
                                          > Hello,
                                          >
                                          > Ever since installing an additional 256M of memory from
                                          > Crucial, I have been having a lot of problems with my
                                          > Inspiron 5000e. I have a dual boot Windows 2000/Linux
                                          > Mandrake system. I am currently running windows, and
                                          > my computer is crashing like crazy -- about once every
                                          > two hours. It has crashed when I am using Microsoft
                                          > Outlook, Internet Explorer, Word, and sometimes even
                                          > crashes when I am first starting up the computer. I
                                          > have scanned the computer with Norton Antivirus -- no
                                          > viruses. I've been running Norton Utilities also, but
                                          > this does not seem to resolve the crash issue.
                                          >
                                          > I'm wondering if this might be a memory issue, as the
                                          > problems seem to coincide with the installation of my
                                          > new memory. Also, when I look at the info on my system
                                          > in the control panel, it only accounts the original amount
                                          > of RAM (256Mb not 512Mb).
                                          >
                                          > Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to diagnose
                                          > what is going on? Does this sound like a memory issue?
                                          > I could contact Crucial to ask for a new memory module,
                                          > but would like to know that this is indeed a memory issue.
                                          > Does anyone have any ideas of other things that could be
                                          > causing this?
                                          >
                                          > Thanks much!
                                          >
                                          > Jennifer

                                        • Jennifer Ekstrom
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Oct 12 12:15 PM
                                            The Crucial memory probably was the source of my problems.  I removed it
                                            last night, and my 5000e has not crashed since.

                                            I checked out MemorySuppliers at http://www.memorysuppliers.com/144pinpcsod.html
                                            Their listing of computers guaranteed to work with their SODIMMS includes
                                            the i5k, but *not* the 850 MHz version (which I own).

                                            Naturally, I'd prefer to buy my memory for $34, rather than for $148.95 from Dell.
                                            But after my experience with the Crucial memory (see below), I'd like to know
                                            beforehand that the memory will truly be compatible.  Can anyone tell me
                                            with certainty whether the Memory Suppliers memory will work with my
                                            system?

                                            Any 850 MHz i5000e owners on the list?  Should I buy the Infineon, the
                                            Samsung, or the Micron 256MB PC133 144PIN SODIMM module?  Do I
                                            definitely want to take the PC133 over the PC100 module?

                                            Thanks much for reading,
                                            Jennifer

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Oct 12 12:16 PM
                                              > The Crucial memory probably was the source of my problems. I removed it
                                              > last night, and my 5000e has not crashed since.

                                              If you bought the memory from Crucial, call them and explain the problem.
                                              I read on DellTalk that Crucial exchanged another user's memory that was
                                              having problems.
                                              --
                                              Eric Dittman
                                              dittman@...
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Oct 12 12:34 PM
                                                I could exchange for another Crucial module -- but I already got authorization from
                                                Crucial to return the memory to them for a refund (minus 20% restocking fee).
                                                My instinct is to try something made by a different manufacturer...

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Oct 12 12:37 PM
                                                  > I could exchange for another Crucial module -- but I already got
                                                  > authorization from
                                                  > Crucial to return the memory to them for a refund (minus 20% restocking
                                                  > fee).
                                                  > My instinct is to try something made by a different manufacturer...

                                                  I don't think it would hurt to try a different Crucial module (that's
                                                  what Crucial did for the other user; they swapped the user's current
                                                  module for one with a different RAM configuration, solving the other
                                                  user's problem) if you can save the 20% restocking fee.
                                                  --
                                                  Eric Dittman
                                                  dittman@...
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Oct 12 1:05 PM
                                                    > I could exchange for another Crucial module -- but I already got
                                                    > authorization from
                                                    > Crucial to return the memory to them for a refund (minus 20% restocking
                                                    > fee).
                                                    > My instinct is to try something made by a different manufacturer...

                                                    I have two Crucial 256 MB modules in my I8K and I have NEVER had any
                                                    problem out of them. If it was not for the reports that they draw
                                                    a lot of current, I would recommend Crucial memory 100%; as it is I
                                                    recommend them 90%. They have decent prices and a good reputation.
                                                    I have other memory modules in several computers at home, and I have
                                                    not had problems with any of them.

                                                    --
                                                    John Cronin
                                                  • hadig@slac.stanford.edu
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Oct 12 3:29 PM
                                                      Hi,

                                                      someone else posted in September that Crucial sells the Micron brand, so
                                                      if the Crucial memories do not work for you, the Micron from memorysuppliers
                                                      will not be better, I assume. Someone else posted on the same day that the
                                                      Micron draw 2 to 5 times more current than the Samsung ... which might be
                                                      the factor causing the problems. So Samsung might be worth a try. This
                                                      person also mentioned that the Infineon are even slightly better but
                                                      I did not see them at memorysuppliers.

                                                      To find the quotes, check the original posting or my posting from two
                                                      days ago where I quotes the passages.