Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Intern mini PCI combo Card, 10/100 Ethernet

  • Joel Cordonnier
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
      >One with 3Com network chip on it which works well but
      the 3Comsoft-modem is not supported

      i.e Ethernet card supported BUT not the modem ????

      and one with an Intel eepro100 and a ActionTec
      soft-modem which both are supported.

      With Suse ???

      Thanks
      /Joel

    • Juri Haberland
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
        Joel Cordonnier wrote:

        > What do you have on your hown ? with Suse ?
        >
        > The modem and Ethernet on the same card ??????????

        I have an I8000 with the eepro100/Actiontec combo running RedHat 7.1.
        Network works like a charm - haven't tried the Actiontec yet but a lot
        of others have reported success with the Actiontec.

        > --- Juri Haberland <haberland@...> a écrit : >
        > Joel Cordonnier wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi !
        > > >
        > > > I plan to buy an I8100 in Germany, and I need
        > > advice
        > > > about the devices supported / NOT SUPPORTED by
        > > linux
        > > > (RH or Suse ditrib.)
        > > >
        > > > (Confif with dual booting win2k, linux 2-4.x)
        > >

        > > > - Intern mini PCI combo Karte mit V90 modem +
        > > 10/100 Ethernet
        > > Depends on what they put into your I8100. There are
        > > two possible cards
        > > (at least this is true for the I8000 - I assume they
        > > do the same for the
        > > I8100):
        > > One with 3Com network chip on it which works well
        > > but the 3Com
        > > soft-modem is not supported
        > > and one with an Intel eepro100 and a ActionTec
        > > soft-modem which both are
        > > supported.

        then each of us still has one object.
        If each of us have one idea, and we exchange them,
        then each of us now has two ideas.
      • Juri Haberland
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
          Joel Cordonnier wrote:

          > >One with 3Com network chip on it which works well but
          > the 3Comsoft-modem is not supported
          >
          > i.e Ethernet card supported BUT not the modem ????

          Yep, 3Com doesn't release any info nor a binary-only driver for their
          winmodem :(

          > and one with an Intel eepro100 and a ActionTec
          > soft-modem which both are supported.

          > With Suse ???

          Both network adapters should be supported out of the box but for the
          Actiontec winmodem you need additional drivers. Have a look at the FAQ:
          http://www.whacked.net/ldl-faq

          Cheers,
          Juri

          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
            have an I8000 with the eepro100/Actiontec combo
            > running RedHat 7.1. Network works like a charm -

            haven't tried the Actiontec yet but a lot
            > of others have reported success with the Actiontec.
            Your are speeking about the modem ??

            ok ! And no problem with rh7.1 ? because I have one
            year ago installed rh7.0, but that version was so
            buggy !!

            /Joel

          • Joel Cordonnier
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
              OK !

              But I need to make a choise !!
              So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
              and for a modem ?

              And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??

              For Intern modem and 10/100 Ethernet, there are on ne
              same card ? (no independant ?

              Thanks
              /Joel

              Joel Cordonnier wrote:

              > > >One with 3Com network chip on it which works well
              > but
              > > the 3Comsoft-modem is not supported
              > >
              > > i.e Ethernet card supported BUT not the modem ????
              >
              > Yep, 3Com doesn't release any info nor a binary-only
              > driver for their
              > winmodem :(
              >
              > > and one with an Intel eepro100 and a ActionTec
              > > soft-modem which both are supported.
              >
              > > With Suse ???
              >
              > Both network adapters should be supported out of the
              > box but for the
              > Actiontec winmodem you need additional drivers. Have
              > a look at the FAQ:
              > http://www.whacked.net/ldl-faq
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Juri
              >
              > --
              > If each of us have one object, and we exchange
              > them,
              > then each of us still has one object.
              > If each of us have one idea, and we exchange
              > them,
              > then each of us now has two ideas.

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Juri Haberland
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
                Joel Cordonnier wrote:

                > OK !
                >
                > But I need to make a choise !!
                > So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
                > and for a modem ?

                I'd say, wait for some other opinions on this and if they say 'internal
                is ok' go for a internal combo and try to persuade DELL to give you the
                INTEL/Actiontec combination. Don't go for the 3Com combo.

                > And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??

                I think this one should work without a problem, but it's just a guess.

                > For Intern modem and 10/100 Ethernet, there are on ne
                > same card ? (no independant ?
                AFAIK you can get an internal modem only or you can get a combi-card
                with net+modem. There is just one internal slot for this purpose.

                Juri

              • jsc3@havoc.gtf.org
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
                  > Joel Cordonnier wrote:
                  > >
                  > > OK !
                  > >
                  > > But I need to make a choise !!
                  > > So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
                  > > and for a modem ?
                  >
                  > I'd say, wait for some other opinions on this and if they say 'internal
                  > is ok' go for a internal combo and try to persuade DELL to give you the
                  > INTEL/Actiontec combination. Don't go for the 3Com combo.

                  Even if you get the 3Com, the NIC is fine, and it is cheaper than the
                  PCMCIA model. Then you can add a PCMCIA modem if necessary.

                  > > And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??
                  >
                  > I think this one should work without a problem, but it's just a guess.

                  I don't know either - I don't use modems much. At this point when
                  traveling I think I would rather get a wireless card (in the mail
                  as we speak - Amazon has great deals on SMC access points and cards)
                  and war drive (borrow bandwidth from somebody's unsecured wireless
                  access point - don't interfere, just check my email and such).

                  > > For Intern modem and 10/100 Ethernet, there are on ne
                  > > same card ? (no independant ?

                  > AFAIK you can get an internal modem only or you can get a combi-card
                  > with net+modem. There is just one internal slot for this purpose.

                  This is correct.

                  --
                  John Cronin
                • camfranchuk@netscape.net
                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Joel Cordonnier <jcordonn1972@y...> wrote:
                    > OK !
                    >
                    > But I need to make a choise !!
                    > So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
                    > and for a modem ?
                    >
                    > And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??

                    Works like a charm. You may have to upgrade your pcmcia-cs package,
                    but I'm not sure (i had to upgrade mine anyway for my pcmcia network
                    card).

                  • camfranchuk@netscape.net
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Joel Cordonnier <jcordonn1972@y...> wrote:
                      > OK !
                      >
                      > But I need to make a choise !!
                      > So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
                      > and for a modem ?
                      >
                      > And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??
                      >
                      > For Intern modem and 10/100 Ethernet, there are on ne
                      > same card ? (no independant ?

                      you may also want to consider this. dell is selling the Xircom 10/100
                      56k Combo card (type III pcmcia) for only US$95 as an upgrade. Seems
                      like the best solution of all (if its supported, that is).
                    • dani@vratny.at
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
                        i run the actiontec minipci combocard under mandrake8 and it does
                        great work!

                      • hadig@slac.stanford.edu
                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001

                          I run the Actiontec/Intel MiniPCI combo card on SuSE 7.1 without a problem.
                          I would again go for it as it is cheaper than the PCMCIA cards and it has
                          the sockets build-in into the notebook side, i.e. your PCMCIA slots are
                          still available and you can not loose the adapter that is included with
                          the PCMCIA cards (those cards are obviously too small to carry a phone or
                          RJ45 socket themselves so you get a special cable that connects the PCMCIA
                          card with on the one side and has a box with the sockets on the other. If you
                          loose that cable, you have to buy a new card as you will not manage to get
                          the boxes separately.

                          > i run the actiontec minipci combocard under mandrake8 and it does
                          > great work!
                          >
                          > On 2 Oct 2001, at 15:22, camfranchuk@... wrote:
                          >
                          > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Joel Cordonnier <jcordonn1972@y...> wrote:
                          > > > OK !
                          > > >
                          > > > But I need to make a choise !!
                          > > > So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
                          > > > and for a modem ?
                          > > >
                          > > > And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??
                          > >
                          > > Works like a charm. You may have to upgrade your pcmcia-cs package,
                          > > but I'm not sure (i had to upgrade mine anyway for my pcmcia network
                          > > card).
                          > >

                          > > > For Intern modem and 10/100 Ethernet, there are on ne
                          > > > same card ? (no independant ?
                          > > >

                          > > > Thanks
                          > > > /Joel

                          Ciao
                          Thomas

                          Thomas Hadig MS 62, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025, USA
                          hadig@... Tel.: +1 650 926 2810
                          http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~hadig/
                          In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?
                        • Joel Cordonnier
                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 4, 2001
                            Hi !

                            You say:
                            > I don't know either - I don't use modems much. At
                            > this point when
                            > traveling I think I would rather get a wireless card
                            > (in the mail
                            > as we speak - Amazon has great deals on SMC access
                            > points and cards)
                            > and war drive (borrow bandwidth from somebody's
                            > unsecured wireless
                            > access point - don't interfere, just check my email
                            > and such).

                            - I don't know anything about wireless card: can you
                            explain me a bit, what it does, so I will see if it
                            good for me..

                            (I plan to buy me I8k next week).

                            - For the CD-RW , what meens 8x/4x/20x ? [CD-RW
                            Laufwerk mit Adaptec Brennsoftware (+400,00 DM)]

                            - What you say is to buy the laptop with the minimum
                            of RAM (128) and by the rest a www.crucial.com . Right
                            ? (I need 512 RAM)

                            - And what for the disk ? the same ? I know that I
                            need 20gb (with dual booting)
                            Where can I buy disks ? Is there problems for
                            compatibility ? Are there faster/slower ? 30 GB
                            Fujitsu for example

                            - you really see a difference for the 1 or a 1,13GHz
                            chip ?

                            - and for a 1400x105 or 600x1200 (with nVidia GeForce2
                            Go, 32 MB or 16MB )

                            ps: I work as a Java developper, and I want to run on
                            the laptop, a Web server, an Application server, a
                            DB,...

                            Thanks for the help (and choise!!)
                            /Joel

                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 6, 2001
                              Hi Joel,

                              as was mentioned in this forum before: A few people have reported problems
                              with Crucial memory as it is Mircon brand and seems to draw more current
                              than Samsung or Infineon (mostly reported by people with I8100 as the
                              setup and the NVidia graphics card seem to push the system to its power
                              limits. In addition, the timing of the Samsung seems to be somewhat faster.

                              I just today ordered 256MB at http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ for $35.
                              They offer both Samsung and Micron for that price.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 8, 2001
                                Hi ! Thanks for the reply.

                                I plan to buy an I8100 this week (I'm in Germany at
                                the moment).

                                I'm a newbie with laptop stuff, and with hardware in
                                general.
                                Could you give me some advice about:
                                - if I should order the laptop with the minimum of RAM
                                and by 2*256 elsewhere
                                - with the minimum 10Gb disk and order a bigger one
                                elsewhere

                                Some person says me that I don't have the choise of a
                                3Com auo ActionTec modem + 10/100 Ethernet card..

                                Thanks
                                /Joel

                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 8, 2001
                                  Hi Joel,

                                  > Hi ! Thanks for the reply.
                                  >
                                  > I plan to buy an I8100 this week (I'm in Germany at
                                  > the moment).
                                  >
                                  > I'm a newbie with laptop stuff, and with hardware in
                                  > general.
                                  > Could you give me some advice about:
                                  > - if I should order the laptop with the minimum of RAM
                                  > and by 2*256 elsewhere

                                  You can check the price difference and find out whether that is worth
                                  the hassle of ordering at two different places, opening the notebook and
                                  replacing it yourself. My experience is that it is much cheaper if you buy
                                  it at a cheap shop. However, you might not want to take the extra cost
                                  of sending it from USA and as I experienced, prices for computer spares
                                  are more expensive in Germany, e.g. 90Euro for the same memory.

                                  > - with the minimum 10Gb disk and order a bigger one
                                  > elsewhere

                                  I have never checked how hard it is to replace a hard disk and what the
                                  costs are. In addition, hard disks produce some heat ... I would like to
                                  know whether the heat specifications of the drive and the notebook match.
                                  On the other hand, if you buy the same disk that Dell uses ...

                                  > Some person says me that I don't have the choise of a
                                  > 3Com auo ActionTec modem + 10/100 Ethernet card..

                                  I heard that too and at least when you order on the internet there is
                                  no selection to make that choice. I would order it anyway, as the 3com
                                  network will work anyway.

                                  > Thanks
                                  > /Joel
                                  >

                                  > > Hi Joel,
                                  > >
                                  > > as was mentioned in this forum before: A few people
                                  > > have reported problems
                                  > > with Crucial memory as it is Mircon brand and seems
                                  > > to draw more current
                                  > > than Samsung or Infineon (mostly reported by people
                                  > > with I8100 as the
                                  > > setup and the NVidia graphics card seem to push the
                                  > > system to its power
                                  > > limits. In addition, the timing of the Samsung seems
                                  > > to be somewhat faster.
                                  > >
                                  > > I just today ordered 256MB at
                                  > > http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ for $35.
                                  > > They offer both Samsung and Micron for that price.
                                  > >
                                  > > > - What you say is to buy the laptop with the
                                  > > minimum
                                  > > > of RAM (128) and by the rest a www.crucial.com .
                                  > > Right
                                  > > > ? (I need 512 RAM)
                                  > >
                                  > > Ciao
                                  > > Thomas

                                  Ciao
                                  Thomas

                                  Thomas Hadig MS 62, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025, USA
                                  hadig@... Tel.: +1 650 926 2810
                                  http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~hadig/
                                  In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?
                                • Stephen Lau
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 8, 2001
                                    On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 11:30:01AM +0200, Joel Cordonnier wrote:
                                    > - if I should order the laptop with the minimum of RAM
                                    > and by 2*256 elsewhere

                                    definitely yes

                                    > - with the minimum 10Gb disk and order a bigger one
                                    > elsewhere

                                    probably not worth it - dell usually gives reasonably competitive prices
                                    on their hard drives. i would just get the larger one through dell with
                                    the laptop order.

                                    > Some person says me that I don't have the choise of a
                                    > 3Com auo ActionTec modem + 10/100 Ethernet card..

                                    nope, you don't. you get whatever dell sees fit to give you. :)

                                    -steve

                                  • jsc3@havoc.gtf.org
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 8, 2001
                                      > > - with the minimum 10Gb disk and order a bigger one
                                      > > elsewhere
                                      >
                                      > I have never checked how hard it is to replace a hard disk and what the
                                      > costs are. In addition, hard disks produce some heat ... I would like to
                                      > know whether the heat specifications of the drive and the notebook match.
                                      > On the other hand, if you buy the same disk that Dell uses ...

                                      It is actually pretty easy to replace the drive itself, only a bit
                                      harder than the memory, but then you have to get all your OS, apps,
                                      data etc to the new drive, and that can be a lot of work.

                                      I bought a new 32 GB IBM drive, which Dell did once sell with the
                                      8000 series, and certainly it is no worse in the heat specs than the
                                      IBM 48 GB drive available with new 8100s now.

                                      Looking at the upgrade prices for disks now, they are a lot more
                                      competitive than they were a few months ago. I would probably just
                                      get the disk from Dell at this point.

                                      --
                                      John Cronin
                                    • Joel Cordonnier
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Oct 9, 2001
                                        Hi !

                                        Some people says that there are some problem with the
                                        memory that come from www.crucial.com, on I8100: what
                                        for a problem ??

                                        I plan to buy my I8100 with the minimum of RAM, and
                                        buy 2 cards of 256. From Samsung or Infineon ? Can
                                        some says me some criteria that will help me to make
                                        the choice ?

                                        I'm in germany at the moment ? Is there some reseller
                                        there ?

                                        Thanks
                                        /Joel

                                        > as was mentioned in this forum before: A few people
                                        > have reported problems
                                        > with Crucial memory as it is Mircon brand and seems
                                        > to draw more current
                                        > than Samsung or Infineon (mostly reported by people
                                        > with I8100 as the
                                        > setup and the NVidia graphics card seem to push the
                                        > system to its power
                                        > limits. In addition, the timing of the Samsung seems
                                        > to be somewhat faster.
                                        >
                                        > I just today ordered 256MB at
                                        > http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ for $35.
                                        > They offer both Samsung and Micron for that price.
                                        >
                                        > > - What you say is to buy the laptop with the
                                        > minimum
                                        > > of RAM (128) and by the rest a www.crucial.com .
                                        > Right
                                        > > ? (I need 512 RAM)

                                        Un nouveau Nokia Game commence.
                                        Allez sur http://fr.yahoo.com/nokiagame avant le 3 novembre
                                        pour participer à cette aventure tous médias.
                                      • hadig@slac.stanford.edu
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Oct 9, 2001
                                          Hi Joel,

                                          here are sections of a few messages from this forum:

                                          Fri, 07 Sep 2001:
                                          Just a word of warning about Crucial memory... there are many reports
                                          of Inspiron 8k and 8k1 shutting down when 256Mb crucial SODIMMs are
                                          used with the Geforce2Go (see DellTalk forums: Inspiron Video and
                                          Inspiron Upgrade). Failure seems to occur when the GeForce2Go is
                                          working hard. Apparently the crucial memory has higher current
                                          requirements than most other modules around and this combined with
                                          the demands of the G2G is too much for the machine to handle.

                                          I haven't seen reports of this under linux +X +openGL but it seems
                                          like a good idea to avoid Crucial in the short term, not least
                                          becuase there are better deals on other similar RAM at the moment.

                                          Cheaper Infineon and Samsung 256Mb PC133 SODIMMs (which apparently
                                          draw less current) are available from http://www.memorysuppliers.com
                                          ($40ea) These are CAS Latency 3 modules at PC133 (despite what the
                                          webpage says) but the i8k1 always runs at CL3 anyway according to
                                          Dell Support and observations people have made when using CL2 SODIMMs.

                                          same day:
                                          Hi all, Ron,

                                          You would hope that there was a maximum current restriction as part
                                          of the various memory interface standards but I'm not sure that there
                                          is. Does anyone know? Alternatively, perhaps Dell doesn't meet the
                                          maximum current spec on the supply side in the i8k and i8k1.

                                          As the following data (taken from manufacturers' specs) show, there
                                          is a significant variation in the current demands of different
                                          brands' modules. These specs are cut'n'pasted from a DellTalk thread
                                          on this subject.

                                          Micron (Crucial) MT16LSDF3264HG module (32Mx64 8-chip 133Mhz. CL2)
                                          Active mode current (1 bank) ~1.3A
                                          Burst mode current ~1.3A
                                          Auto Refresh current ~5.2A

                                          Samsung M46453254BT2 module (32Mx64 8-chip 133Mhz. CL2)
                                          Active mode current (1 bank) .74A
                                          Burst mode current .86A
                                          Auto Refresh current 1.0A

                                          As far as the shutdown problem is concerned:
                                          Unfortunately, Dell won't address the problem because it occurs with
                                          third party RAM. Crucial won't address the problem because they say
                                          that a driver fixes the issue. I think they mean using nVidia's
                                          powermizer to limit the speed and power of the g2g, which probably
                                          isn't what you want to do if you've just paid the premium to have
                                          that chipset...

                                          Sun, 09 Sep 2001:
                                          To summarise my understanding of the shutdown G2G issue:

                                          The shutdown problem was first reported with the Inspiron 8000 and
                                          32Mb GeForce2Go. It seems that one or more Crucial 256Mb SoDIMMS in
                                          a system is the other trigger factor. I believe that the problem has
                                          been observed occurred using both PC100 and PC133 memory (at 100Mhz)
                                          in the i8k, and using PC133 memory in the i8k1.

                                          Running RAM at 133MHz will obviously increase its current draw, so
                                          the issue will be exacerbated in the i8k1.

                                          I came across this issue when researching a RAM upgrade for my
                                          recently ordered i8k1, so all of what I say I have learnt from
                                          others' reports. I'm passing on this info as RAM upgrades are
                                          obviously desirable at the moment (given the low prices) but this
                                          seems to be a lurking gremlin...

                                          Of the available PC133 256Mb SoDIMMS, Infineon's modules appear to
                                          have the lowest current demands, followed by Samsung (and Kingston
                                          which seems to be rebadging Samsung's modules for this spec) with
                                          Crucial considerable higher.

                                        • jennifer_ekstrom@usa.net
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Oct 11, 2001
                                            Hello,

                                            Ever since installing an additional 256M of memory from
                                            Crucial, I have been having a lot of problems with my
                                            Inspiron 5000e. I have a dual boot Windows 2000/Linux
                                            Mandrake system. I am currently running windows, and
                                            my computer is crashing like crazy -- about once every
                                            two hours. It has crashed when I am using Microsoft
                                            Outlook, Internet Explorer, Word, and sometimes even
                                            crashes when I am first starting up the computer. I
                                            have scanned the computer with Norton Antivirus -- no
                                            viruses. I've been running Norton Utilities also, but
                                            this does not seem to resolve the crash issue.

                                            I'm wondering if this might be a memory issue, as the
                                            problems seem to coincide with the installation of my
                                            new memory. Also, when I look at the info on my system
                                            in the control panel, it only accounts the original amount
                                            of RAM (256Mb not 512Mb).

                                            Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to diagnose
                                            what is going on? Does this sound like a memory issue?
                                            I could contact Crucial to ask for a new memory module,
                                            but would like to know that this is indeed a memory issue.
                                            Does anyone have any ideas of other things that could be
                                            causing this?

                                            Thanks much!

                                            Jennifer
                                          • Ron Menelli
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Oct 11, 2001
                                              As reported several times on this list, Crucial's memory consumes a lot
                                              more power than other brands, enough that it might cause a problem. You
                                              probably should try another brand or memory. Do a search on this list's
                                              message archive and you'll find more information.

                                              -Ron Menelli
                                              ron@...

                                              On Thu, 2001-10-11 at 12:59, jennifer_ekstrom@... wrote:
                                              > Hello,
                                              >
                                              > Ever since installing an additional 256M of memory from
                                              > Crucial, I have been having a lot of problems with my
                                              > Inspiron 5000e. I have a dual boot Windows 2000/Linux
                                              > Mandrake system. I am currently running windows, and
                                              > my computer is crashing like crazy -- about once every
                                              > two hours. It has crashed when I am using Microsoft
                                              > Outlook, Internet Explorer, Word, and sometimes even
                                              > crashes when I am first starting up the computer. I
                                              > have scanned the computer with Norton Antivirus -- no
                                              > viruses. I've been running Norton Utilities also, but
                                              > this does not seem to resolve the crash issue.
                                              >
                                              > I'm wondering if this might be a memory issue, as the
                                              > problems seem to coincide with the installation of my
                                              > new memory. Also, when I look at the info on my system
                                              > in the control panel, it only accounts the original amount
                                              > of RAM (256Mb not 512Mb).
                                              >
                                              > Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to diagnose
                                              > what is going on? Does this sound like a memory issue?
                                              > I could contact Crucial to ask for a new memory module,
                                              > but would like to know that this is indeed a memory issue.
                                              > Does anyone have any ideas of other things that could be
                                              > causing this?
                                              >
                                              > Thanks much!
                                              >
                                              > Jennifer

                                            • Jennifer Ekstrom
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Oct 12, 2001
                                                The Crucial memory probably was the source of my problems.  I removed it
                                                last night, and my 5000e has not crashed since.

                                                I checked out MemorySuppliers at http://www.memorysuppliers.com/144pinpcsod.html
                                                Their listing of computers guaranteed to work with their SODIMMS includes
                                                the i5k, but *not* the 850 MHz version (which I own).

                                                Naturally, I'd prefer to buy my memory for $34, rather than for $148.95 from Dell.
                                                But after my experience with the Crucial memory (see below), I'd like to know
                                                beforehand that the memory will truly be compatible.  Can anyone tell me
                                                with certainty whether the Memory Suppliers memory will work with my
                                                system?

                                                Any 850 MHz i5000e owners on the list?  Should I buy the Infineon, the
                                                Samsung, or the Micron 256MB PC133 144PIN SODIMM module?  Do I
                                                definitely want to take the PC133 over the PC100 module?

                                                Thanks much for reading,
                                                Jennifer

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Oct 12, 2001
                                                  > The Crucial memory probably was the source of my problems. I removed it
                                                  > last night, and my 5000e has not crashed since.

                                                  If you bought the memory from Crucial, call them and explain the problem.
                                                  I read on DellTalk that Crucial exchanged another user's memory that was
                                                  having problems.
                                                  --
                                                  Eric Dittman
                                                  dittman@...
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Oct 12, 2001
                                                    I could exchange for another Crucial module -- but I already got authorization from
                                                    Crucial to return the memory to them for a refund (minus 20% restocking fee).
                                                    My instinct is to try something made by a different manufacturer...

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Oct 12, 2001
                                                      > I could exchange for another Crucial module -- but I already got
                                                      > authorization from
                                                      > Crucial to return the memory to them for a refund (minus 20% restocking
                                                      > fee).
                                                      > My instinct is to try something made by a different manufacturer...

                                                      I don't think it would hurt to try a different Crucial module (that's
                                                      what Crucial did for the other user; they swapped the user's current
                                                      module for one with a different RAM configuration, solving the other
                                                      user's problem) if you can save the 20% restocking fee.
                                                      --
                                                      Eric Dittman
                                                      dittman@...
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Oct 12, 2001
                                                        > I could exchange for another Crucial module -- but I already got
                                                        > authorization from
                                                        > Crucial to return the memory to them for a refund (minus 20% restocking
                                                        > fee).
                                                        > My instinct is to try something made by a different manufacturer...

                                                        I have two Crucial 256 MB modules in my I8K and I have NEVER had any
                                                        problem out of them. If it was not for the reports that they draw
                                                        a lot of current, I would recommend Crucial memory 100%; as it is I
                                                        recommend them 90%. They have decent prices and a good reputation.
                                                        I have other memory modules in several computers at home, and I have
                                                        not had problems with any of them.

                                                        --
                                                        John Cronin
                                                      • hadig@slac.stanford.edu
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Oct 12, 2001

                                                          someone else posted in September that Crucial sells the Micron brand, so
                                                          if the Crucial memories do not work for you, the Micron from memorysuppliers
                                                          will not be better, I assume. Someone else posted on the same day that the
                                                          Micron draw 2 to 5 times more current than the Samsung ... which might be
                                                          the factor causing the problems. So Samsung might be worth a try. This
                                                          person also mentioned that the Infineon are even slightly better but
                                                          I did not see them at memorysuppliers.

                                                          To find the quotes, check the original posting or my posting from two
                                                          days ago where I quotes the passages.