Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Intern mini PCI combo Card, 10/100 Ethernet

  • Juri Haberland
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
      Joel Cordonnier wrote:

      > Hi !
      >
      > I plan to buy an I8100 in Germany, and I need advice
      > about the devices supported / NOT SUPPORTED by linux
      > (RH or Suse ditrib.)
      >
      > (Confif with dual booting win2k, linux 2-4.x)

      > - Intern mini PCI combo Karte mit V90 modem + 10/100 Ethernet
      Depends on what they put into your I8100. There are two possible cards
      (at least this is true for the I8000 - I assume they do the same for the
      I8100):
      One with 3Com network chip on it which works well but the 3Com
      soft-modem is not supported
      and one with an Intel eepro100 and a ActionTec soft-modem which both are
      supported.

      Juri

      then each of us still has one object.
      If each of us have one idea, and we exchange them,
      then each of us now has two ideas.
    • Joel Cordonnier
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
        What do you have on your hown ? with Suse ?

        The modem and Ethernet on the same card ??????????

        Thanks,
        /Joel

        --- Juri Haberland <haberland@...> a écrit : >
        Joel Cordonnier wrote:

        > > Hi !
        > >
        > > I plan to buy an I8100 in Germany, and I need
        > advice
        > > about the devices supported / NOT SUPPORTED by
        > linux
        > > (RH or Suse ditrib.)
        > >
        > > (Confif with dual booting win2k, linux 2-4.x)
        >

        > > - Intern mini PCI combo Karte mit V90 modem +
        > 10/100 Ethernet
        > Depends on what they put into your I8100. There are
        > two possible cards
        > (at least this is true for the I8000 - I assume they
        > do the same for the
        > I8100):
        > One with 3Com network chip on it which works well
        > but the 3Com
        > soft-modem is not supported
        > and one with an Intel eepro100 and a ActionTec
        > soft-modem which both are
        > supported.
        >
        > Juri
        >
        > --
        > If each of us have one object, and we exchange
        > them,
        > then each of us still has one object.
        > If each of us have one idea, and we exchange
        > them,
        > then each of us now has two ideas.

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Joel Cordonnier
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
          >One with 3Com network chip on it which works well but
          the 3Comsoft-modem is not supported

          i.e Ethernet card supported BUT not the modem ????

          and one with an Intel eepro100 and a ActionTec
          soft-modem which both are supported.

          With Suse ???

          Thanks
          /Joel

        • Juri Haberland
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
            Joel Cordonnier wrote:

            > What do you have on your hown ? with Suse ?
            >
            > The modem and Ethernet on the same card ??????????

            I have an I8000 with the eepro100/Actiontec combo running RedHat 7.1.
            Network works like a charm - haven't tried the Actiontec yet but a lot
            of others have reported success with the Actiontec.

            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
              Joel Cordonnier wrote:

              > >One with 3Com network chip on it which works well but
              > the 3Comsoft-modem is not supported
              >
              > i.e Ethernet card supported BUT not the modem ????

              Yep, 3Com doesn't release any info nor a binary-only driver for their
              winmodem :(

              > and one with an Intel eepro100 and a ActionTec
              > soft-modem which both are supported.

              > With Suse ???

              Both network adapters should be supported out of the box but for the
              Actiontec winmodem you need additional drivers. Have a look at the FAQ:
              http://www.whacked.net/ldl-faq

              Cheers,

              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
                have an I8000 with the eepro100/Actiontec combo
                > running RedHat 7.1. Network works like a charm -

                haven't tried the Actiontec yet but a lot
                > of others have reported success with the Actiontec.
                Your are speeking about the modem ??

                ok ! And no problem with rh7.1 ? because I have one
                year ago installed rh7.0, but that version was so
                buggy !!

                /Joel

              • Joel Cordonnier
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
                  OK !

                  But I need to make a choise !!
                  So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
                  and for a modem ?

                  And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??

                  For Intern modem and 10/100 Ethernet, there are on ne
                  same card ? (no independant ?

                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
                    Joel Cordonnier wrote:

                    > OK !
                    >
                    > But I need to make a choise !!
                    > So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
                    > and for a modem ?

                    I'd say, wait for some other opinions on this and if they say 'internal
                    is ok' go for a internal combo and try to persuade DELL to give you the
                    INTEL/Actiontec combination. Don't go for the 3Com combo.

                    > And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??

                    I think this one should work without a problem, but it's just a guess.

                    > For Intern modem and 10/100 Ethernet, there are on ne
                    > same card ? (no independant ?
                    AFAIK you can get an internal modem only or you can get a combi-card
                    with net+modem. There is just one internal slot for this purpose.

                  • jsc3@havoc.gtf.org
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
                      > Joel Cordonnier wrote:
                      > >
                      > > OK !
                      > >
                      > > But I need to make a choise !!
                      > > So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
                      > > and for a modem ?
                      >
                      > I'd say, wait for some other opinions on this and if they say 'internal
                      > is ok' go for a internal combo and try to persuade DELL to give you the
                      > INTEL/Actiontec combination. Don't go for the 3Com combo.

                      Even if you get the 3Com, the NIC is fine, and it is cheaper than the
                      PCMCIA model. Then you can add a PCMCIA modem if necessary.

                      > > And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??
                      >
                      > I think this one should work without a problem, but it's just a guess.

                      I don't know either - I don't use modems much. At this point when
                      traveling I think I would rather get a wireless card (in the mail
                      as we speak - Amazon has great deals on SMC access points and cards)
                      and war drive (borrow bandwidth from somebody's unsecured wireless
                      access point - don't interfere, just check my email and such).

                      > > For Intern modem and 10/100 Ethernet, there are on ne
                      > > same card ? (no independant ?

                      > AFAIK you can get an internal modem only or you can get a combi-card
                      > with net+modem. There is just one internal slot for this purpose.

                      This is correct.

                      --
                      John Cronin
                    • camfranchuk@netscape.net
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
                        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Joel Cordonnier <jcordonn1972@y...> wrote:
                        > OK !
                        >
                        > But I need to make a choise !!
                        > So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
                        > and for a modem ?
                        >
                        > And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??

                        Works like a charm. You may have to upgrade your pcmcia-cs package,
                        but I'm not sure (i had to upgrade mine anyway for my pcmcia network
                        card).

                      • camfranchuk@netscape.net
                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
                          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Joel Cordonnier <jcordonn1972@y...> wrote:
                          > OK !
                          >
                          > But I need to make a choise !!
                          > So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
                          > and for a modem ?
                          >
                          > And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??
                          >
                          > For Intern modem and 10/100 Ethernet, there are on ne
                          > same card ? (no independant ?

                          you may also want to consider this. dell is selling the Xircom 10/100
                          56k Combo card (type III pcmcia) for only US$95 as an upgrade. Seems
                          like the best solution of all (if its supported, that is).
                        • dani@vratny.at
                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001
                            i run the actiontec minipci combocard under mandrake8 and it does
                            great work!

                          • hadig@slac.stanford.edu
                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 2, 2001

                              I run the Actiontec/Intel MiniPCI combo card on SuSE 7.1 without a problem.
                              I would again go for it as it is cheaper than the PCMCIA cards and it has
                              the sockets build-in into the notebook side, i.e. your PCMCIA slots are
                              still available and you can not loose the adapter that is included with
                              the PCMCIA cards (those cards are obviously too small to carry a phone or
                              RJ45 socket themselves so you get a special cable that connects the PCMCIA
                              card with on the one side and has a box with the sockets on the other. If you
                              loose that cable, you have to buy a new card as you will not manage to get
                              the boxes separately.

                              > i run the actiontec minipci combocard under mandrake8 and it does
                              > great work!
                              >
                              > On 2 Oct 2001, at 15:22, camfranchuk@... wrote:
                              >
                              > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Joel Cordonnier <jcordonn1972@y...> wrote:
                              > > > OK !
                              > > >
                              > > > But I need to make a choise !!
                              > > > So, what for a network card ? a 3Com one ?
                              > > > and for a modem ?
                              > > >
                              > > > And what about the PCMCIA Gold card modem V90 ??
                              > >
                              > > Works like a charm. You may have to upgrade your pcmcia-cs package,
                              > > but I'm not sure (i had to upgrade mine anyway for my pcmcia network
                              > > card).
                              > >

                              > > > For Intern modem and 10/100 Ethernet, there are on ne
                              > > > same card ? (no independant ?
                              > > >

                              > > > Thanks
                              > > > /Joel

                              Ciao
                              Thomas

                              Thomas Hadig MS 62, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025, USA
                              hadig@... Tel.: +1 650 926 2810
                              http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~hadig/
                              In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?
                            • Joel Cordonnier
                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 4, 2001
                                Hi !

                                You say:
                                > I don't know either - I don't use modems much. At
                                > this point when
                                > traveling I think I would rather get a wireless card
                                > (in the mail
                                > as we speak - Amazon has great deals on SMC access
                                > points and cards)
                                > and war drive (borrow bandwidth from somebody's
                                > unsecured wireless
                                > access point - don't interfere, just check my email
                                > and such).

                                - I don't know anything about wireless card: can you
                                explain me a bit, what it does, so I will see if it
                                good for me..

                                (I plan to buy me I8k next week).

                                - For the CD-RW , what meens 8x/4x/20x ? [CD-RW
                                Laufwerk mit Adaptec Brennsoftware (+400,00 DM)]

                                - What you say is to buy the laptop with the minimum
                                of RAM (128) and by the rest a www.crucial.com . Right
                                ? (I need 512 RAM)

                                - And what for the disk ? the same ? I know that I
                                need 20gb (with dual booting)
                                Where can I buy disks ? Is there problems for
                                compatibility ? Are there faster/slower ? 30 GB
                                Fujitsu for example

                                - you really see a difference for the 1 or a 1,13GHz
                                chip ?

                                - and for a 1400x105 or 600x1200 (with nVidia GeForce2
                                Go, 32 MB or 16MB )

                                ps: I work as a Java developper, and I want to run on
                                the laptop, a Web server, an Application server, a
                                DB,...

                                Thanks for the help (and choise!!)
                                /Joel

                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 6, 2001
                                  Hi Joel,

                                  as was mentioned in this forum before: A few people have reported problems
                                  with Crucial memory as it is Mircon brand and seems to draw more current
                                  than Samsung or Infineon (mostly reported by people with I8100 as the
                                  setup and the NVidia graphics card seem to push the system to its power
                                  limits. In addition, the timing of the Samsung seems to be somewhat faster.

                                  I just today ordered 256MB at http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ for $35.
                                  They offer both Samsung and Micron for that price.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 8, 2001
                                    Hi ! Thanks for the reply.

                                    I plan to buy an I8100 this week (I'm in Germany at
                                    the moment).

                                    I'm a newbie with laptop stuff, and with hardware in
                                    general.
                                    Could you give me some advice about:
                                    - if I should order the laptop with the minimum of RAM
                                    and by 2*256 elsewhere
                                    - with the minimum 10Gb disk and order a bigger one
                                    elsewhere

                                    Some person says me that I don't have the choise of a
                                    3Com auo ActionTec modem + 10/100 Ethernet card..

                                    Thanks
                                    /Joel

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 8, 2001
                                      Hi Joel,

                                      > Hi ! Thanks for the reply.
                                      >
                                      > I plan to buy an I8100 this week (I'm in Germany at
                                      > the moment).
                                      >
                                      > I'm a newbie with laptop stuff, and with hardware in
                                      > general.
                                      > Could you give me some advice about:
                                      > - if I should order the laptop with the minimum of RAM
                                      > and by 2*256 elsewhere

                                      You can check the price difference and find out whether that is worth
                                      the hassle of ordering at two different places, opening the notebook and
                                      replacing it yourself. My experience is that it is much cheaper if you buy
                                      it at a cheap shop. However, you might not want to take the extra cost
                                      of sending it from USA and as I experienced, prices for computer spares
                                      are more expensive in Germany, e.g. 90Euro for the same memory.

                                      > - with the minimum 10Gb disk and order a bigger one
                                      > elsewhere

                                      I have never checked how hard it is to replace a hard disk and what the
                                      costs are. In addition, hard disks produce some heat ... I would like to
                                      know whether the heat specifications of the drive and the notebook match.
                                      On the other hand, if you buy the same disk that Dell uses ...

                                      > Some person says me that I don't have the choise of a
                                      > 3Com auo ActionTec modem + 10/100 Ethernet card..

                                      I heard that too and at least when you order on the internet there is
                                      no selection to make that choice. I would order it anyway, as the 3com
                                      network will work anyway.

                                      > Thanks
                                      > /Joel
                                      >

                                      > > Hi Joel,
                                      > >
                                      > > as was mentioned in this forum before: A few people
                                      > > have reported problems
                                      > > with Crucial memory as it is Mircon brand and seems
                                      > > to draw more current
                                      > > than Samsung or Infineon (mostly reported by people
                                      > > with I8100 as the
                                      > > setup and the NVidia graphics card seem to push the
                                      > > system to its power
                                      > > limits. In addition, the timing of the Samsung seems
                                      > > to be somewhat faster.
                                      > >
                                      > > I just today ordered 256MB at
                                      > > http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ for $35.
                                      > > They offer both Samsung and Micron for that price.
                                      > >
                                      > > > - What you say is to buy the laptop with the
                                      > > minimum
                                      > > > of RAM (128) and by the rest a www.crucial.com .
                                      > > Right
                                      > > > ? (I need 512 RAM)
                                      > >
                                      > > Ciao
                                      > > Thomas

                                      Ciao
                                      Thomas

                                      Thomas Hadig MS 62, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025, USA
                                      hadig@... Tel.: +1 650 926 2810
                                      http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~hadig/
                                      In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?
                                    • Stephen Lau
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Oct 8, 2001
                                        On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 11:30:01AM +0200, Joel Cordonnier wrote:
                                        > - if I should order the laptop with the minimum of RAM
                                        > and by 2*256 elsewhere

                                        definitely yes

                                        > - with the minimum 10Gb disk and order a bigger one
                                        > elsewhere

                                        probably not worth it - dell usually gives reasonably competitive prices
                                        on their hard drives. i would just get the larger one through dell with
                                        the laptop order.

                                        > Some person says me that I don't have the choise of a
                                        > 3Com auo ActionTec modem + 10/100 Ethernet card..

                                        nope, you don't. you get whatever dell sees fit to give you. :)

                                        -steve

                                      • jsc3@havoc.gtf.org
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Oct 8, 2001
                                          > > - with the minimum 10Gb disk and order a bigger one
                                          > > elsewhere
                                          >
                                          > I have never checked how hard it is to replace a hard disk and what the
                                          > costs are. In addition, hard disks produce some heat ... I would like to
                                          > know whether the heat specifications of the drive and the notebook match.
                                          > On the other hand, if you buy the same disk that Dell uses ...

                                          It is actually pretty easy to replace the drive itself, only a bit
                                          harder than the memory, but then you have to get all your OS, apps,
                                          data etc to the new drive, and that can be a lot of work.

                                          I bought a new 32 GB IBM drive, which Dell did once sell with the
                                          8000 series, and certainly it is no worse in the heat specs than the
                                          IBM 48 GB drive available with new 8100s now.

                                          Looking at the upgrade prices for disks now, they are a lot more
                                          competitive than they were a few months ago. I would probably just
                                          get the disk from Dell at this point.

                                          --
                                          John Cronin
                                        • Joel Cordonnier
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Oct 9, 2001
                                            Hi !

                                            Some people says that there are some problem with the
                                            memory that come from www.crucial.com, on I8100: what
                                            for a problem ??

                                            I plan to buy my I8100 with the minimum of RAM, and
                                            buy 2 cards of 256. From Samsung or Infineon ? Can
                                            some says me some criteria that will help me to make
                                            the choice ?

                                            I'm in germany at the moment ? Is there some reseller
                                            there ?

                                            Thanks
                                            /Joel

                                            > as was mentioned in this forum before: A few people
                                            > have reported problems
                                            > with Crucial memory as it is Mircon brand and seems
                                            > to draw more current
                                            > than Samsung or Infineon (mostly reported by people
                                            > with I8100 as the
                                            > setup and the NVidia graphics card seem to push the
                                            > system to its power
                                            > limits. In addition, the timing of the Samsung seems
                                            > to be somewhat faster.
                                            >
                                            > I just today ordered 256MB at
                                            > http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ for $35.
                                            > They offer both Samsung and Micron for that price.
                                            >
                                            > > - What you say is to buy the laptop with the
                                            > minimum
                                            > > of RAM (128) and by the rest a www.crucial.com .
                                            > Right
                                            > > ? (I need 512 RAM)

                                            Un nouveau Nokia Game commence.
                                            Allez sur http://fr.yahoo.com/nokiagame avant le 3 novembre
                                            pour participer à cette aventure tous médias.
                                          • hadig@slac.stanford.edu
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Oct 9, 2001
                                              Hi Joel,

                                              here are sections of a few messages from this forum:

                                              Fri, 07 Sep 2001:
                                              Just a word of warning about Crucial memory... there are many reports
                                              of Inspiron 8k and 8k1 shutting down when 256Mb crucial SODIMMs are
                                              used with the Geforce2Go (see DellTalk forums: Inspiron Video and
                                              Inspiron Upgrade). Failure seems to occur when the GeForce2Go is
                                              working hard. Apparently the crucial memory has higher current
                                              requirements than most other modules around and this combined with
                                              the demands of the G2G is too much for the machine to handle.

                                              I haven't seen reports of this under linux +X +openGL but it seems
                                              like a good idea to avoid Crucial in the short term, not least
                                              becuase there are better deals on other similar RAM at the moment.

                                              Cheaper Infineon and Samsung 256Mb PC133 SODIMMs (which apparently
                                              draw less current) are available from http://www.memorysuppliers.com
                                              ($40ea) These are CAS Latency 3 modules at PC133 (despite what the
                                              webpage says) but the i8k1 always runs at CL3 anyway according to
                                              Dell Support and observations people have made when using CL2 SODIMMs.

                                              same day:
                                              Hi all, Ron,

                                              You would hope that there was a maximum current restriction as part
                                              of the various memory interface standards but I'm not sure that there
                                              is. Does anyone know? Alternatively, perhaps Dell doesn't meet the
                                              maximum current spec on the supply side in the i8k and i8k1.

                                              As the following data (taken from manufacturers' specs) show, there
                                              is a significant variation in the current demands of different
                                              brands' modules. These specs are cut'n'pasted from a DellTalk thread
                                              on this subject.

                                              Micron (Crucial) MT16LSDF3264HG module (32Mx64 8-chip 133Mhz. CL2)
                                              Active mode current (1 bank) ~1.3A
                                              Burst mode current ~1.3A
                                              Auto Refresh current ~5.2A

                                              Samsung M46453254BT2 module (32Mx64 8-chip 133Mhz. CL2)
                                              Active mode current (1 bank) .74A
                                              Burst mode current .86A
                                              Auto Refresh current 1.0A

                                              As far as the shutdown problem is concerned:
                                              Unfortunately, Dell won't address the problem because it occurs with
                                              third party RAM. Crucial won't address the problem because they say
                                              that a driver fixes the issue. I think they mean using nVidia's
                                              powermizer to limit the speed and power of the g2g, which probably
                                              isn't what you want to do if you've just paid the premium to have
                                              that chipset...

                                              Sun, 09 Sep 2001:
                                              To summarise my understanding of the shutdown G2G issue:

                                              The shutdown problem was first reported with the Inspiron 8000 and
                                              32Mb GeForce2Go. It seems that one or more Crucial 256Mb SoDIMMS in
                                              a system is the other trigger factor. I believe that the problem has
                                              been observed occurred using both PC100 and PC133 memory (at 100Mhz)
                                              in the i8k, and using PC133 memory in the i8k1.

                                              Running RAM at 133MHz will obviously increase its current draw, so
                                              the issue will be exacerbated in the i8k1.

                                              I came across this issue when researching a RAM upgrade for my
                                              recently ordered i8k1, so all of what I say I have learnt from
                                              others' reports. I'm passing on this info as RAM upgrades are
                                              obviously desirable at the moment (given the low prices) but this
                                              seems to be a lurking gremlin...

                                              Of the available PC133 256Mb SoDIMMS, Infineon's modules appear to
                                              have the lowest current demands, followed by Samsung (and Kingston
                                              which seems to be rebadging Samsung's modules for this spec) with
                                              Crucial considerable higher.

                                            • jennifer_ekstrom@usa.net
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Oct 11, 2001
                                                Hello,

                                                Ever since installing an additional 256M of memory from
                                                Crucial, I have been having a lot of problems with my
                                                Inspiron 5000e. I have a dual boot Windows 2000/Linux
                                                Mandrake system. I am currently running windows, and
                                                my computer is crashing like crazy -- about once every
                                                two hours. It has crashed when I am using Microsoft
                                                Outlook, Internet Explorer, Word, and sometimes even
                                                crashes when I am first starting up the computer. I
                                                have scanned the computer with Norton Antivirus -- no
                                                viruses. I've been running Norton Utilities also, but
                                                this does not seem to resolve the crash issue.

                                                I'm wondering if this might be a memory issue, as the
                                                problems seem to coincide with the installation of my
                                                new memory. Also, when I look at the info on my system
                                                in the control panel, it only accounts the original amount
                                                of RAM (256Mb not 512Mb).

                                                Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to diagnose
                                                what is going on? Does this sound like a memory issue?
                                                I could contact Crucial to ask for a new memory module,
                                                but would like to know that this is indeed a memory issue.
                                                Does anyone have any ideas of other things that could be
                                                causing this?

                                                Thanks much!

                                                Jennifer
                                              • Ron Menelli
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Oct 11, 2001
                                                  As reported several times on this list, Crucial's memory consumes a lot
                                                  more power than other brands, enough that it might cause a problem. You
                                                  probably should try another brand or memory. Do a search on this list's
                                                  message archive and you'll find more information.

                                                  -Ron Menelli
                                                  ron@...

                                                  On Thu, 2001-10-11 at 12:59, jennifer_ekstrom@... wrote:
                                                  > Hello,
                                                  >
                                                  > Ever since installing an additional 256M of memory from
                                                  > Crucial, I have been having a lot of problems with my
                                                  > Inspiron 5000e. I have a dual boot Windows 2000/Linux
                                                  > Mandrake system. I am currently running windows, and
                                                  > my computer is crashing like crazy -- about once every
                                                  > two hours. It has crashed when I am using Microsoft
                                                  > Outlook, Internet Explorer, Word, and sometimes even
                                                  > crashes when I am first starting up the computer. I
                                                  > have scanned the computer with Norton Antivirus -- no
                                                  > viruses. I've been running Norton Utilities also, but
                                                  > this does not seem to resolve the crash issue.
                                                  >
                                                  > I'm wondering if this might be a memory issue, as the
                                                  > problems seem to coincide with the installation of my
                                                  > new memory. Also, when I look at the info on my system
                                                  > in the control panel, it only accounts the original amount
                                                  > of RAM (256Mb not 512Mb).
                                                  >
                                                  > Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to diagnose
                                                  > what is going on? Does this sound like a memory issue?
                                                  > I could contact Crucial to ask for a new memory module,
                                                  > but would like to know that this is indeed a memory issue.
                                                  > Does anyone have any ideas of other things that could be
                                                  > causing this?
                                                  >
                                                  > Thanks much!
                                                  >
                                                  > Jennifer

                                                • Jennifer Ekstrom
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Oct 12, 2001
                                                    The Crucial memory probably was the source of my problems.  I removed it
                                                    last night, and my 5000e has not crashed since.

                                                    I checked out MemorySuppliers at http://www.memorysuppliers.com/144pinpcsod.html
                                                    Their listing of computers guaranteed to work with their SODIMMS includes
                                                    the i5k, but *not* the 850 MHz version (which I own).

                                                    Naturally, I'd prefer to buy my memory for $34, rather than for $148.95 from Dell.
                                                    But after my experience with the Crucial memory (see below), I'd like to know
                                                    beforehand that the memory will truly be compatible.  Can anyone tell me
                                                    with certainty whether the Memory Suppliers memory will work with my
                                                    system?

                                                    Any 850 MHz i5000e owners on the list?  Should I buy the Infineon, the
                                                    Samsung, or the Micron 256MB PC133 144PIN SODIMM module?  Do I
                                                    definitely want to take the PC133 over the PC100 module?

                                                    Thanks much for reading,
                                                    Jennifer

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Oct 12, 2001
                                                      > The Crucial memory probably was the source of my problems. I removed it
                                                      > last night, and my 5000e has not crashed since.

                                                      If you bought the memory from Crucial, call them and explain the problem.
                                                      I read on DellTalk that Crucial exchanged another user's memory that was
                                                      having problems.
                                                      --
                                                      Eric Dittman
                                                      dittman@...
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Oct 12, 2001
                                                        I could exchange for another Crucial module -- but I already got authorization from
                                                        Crucial to return the memory to them for a refund (minus 20% restocking fee).
                                                        My instinct is to try something made by a different manufacturer...

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Oct 12, 2001
                                                          > I could exchange for another Crucial module -- but I already got
                                                          > authorization from
                                                          > Crucial to return the memory to them for a refund (minus 20% restocking
                                                          > fee).
                                                          > My instinct is to try something made by a different manufacturer...

                                                          I don't think it would hurt to try a different Crucial module (that's
                                                          what Crucial did for the other user; they swapped the user's current
                                                          module for one with a different RAM configuration, solving the other
                                                          user's problem) if you can save the 20% restocking fee.
                                                          --
                                                          Eric Dittman
                                                          dittman@...
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Oct 12, 2001
                                                            > I could exchange for another Crucial module -- but I already got
                                                            > authorization from
                                                            > Crucial to return the memory to them for a refund (minus 20% restocking
                                                            > fee).
                                                            > My instinct is to try something made by a different manufacturer...

                                                            I have two Crucial 256 MB modules in my I8K and I have NEVER had any
                                                            problem out of them. If it was not for the reports that they draw
                                                            a lot of current, I would recommend Crucial memory 100%; as it is I
                                                            recommend them 90%. They have decent prices and a good reputation.
                                                            I have other memory modules in several computers at home, and I have
                                                            not had problems with any of them.

                                                            --
                                                            John Cronin
                                                          • hadig@slac.stanford.edu
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Oct 12, 2001

                                                              someone else posted in September that Crucial sells the Micron brand, so
                                                              if the Crucial memories do not work for you, the Micron from memorysuppliers
                                                              will not be better, I assume. Someone else posted on the same day that the
                                                              Micron draw 2 to 5 times more current than the Samsung ... which might be
                                                              the factor causing the problems. So Samsung might be worth a try. This
                                                              person also mentioned that the Infineon are even slightly better but
                                                              I did not see them at memorysuppliers.

                                                              To find the quotes, check the original posting or my posting from two
                                                              days ago where I quotes the passages.