I8K, Linux kernel 2-4.*, I need advice !

  • Joel Cordonnier
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2001
      Hi !

      I'm a newbie with laptop stuff, and I plan to buy a
      Dell Laptop 8100. A goot choise ? I'm working as a
      Java developer, and the computer must easy support an
      Oracle8i database, a J2EE server for developement.

      (ps: I will by the I8k in germany or USA)

      I want to install Linux, a RH or suse distribution.
      AND I DON'T KNOW the stuff that linux don't support !

      I need your advice for:
      - Memory ? 256RAM enough ? 512 ?
      - ATA or DMA disk ? the difference ?
      - CD-RW ?
      - AND THE MORE IMPORTANT: Intern modem (with 10/100?
      )? PCMCIA modem ?
      - Xircom PCMCIA Ethernet or a 3com one ?

      Is there problem to install Gnome ?

      Thanks for the help
      /Joel

    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2001
        On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 09:15:56AM +0200, Joel Cordonnier wrote:
        > I need your advice for:
        > - Memory ? 256RAM enough ? 512 ?

        never buy RAM through Dell. get it with as little RAM as possible, and
        add the rest yourself - it's much cheaper that way (in the USA it is,
        anyway).

        > - ATA or DMA disk ? the difference ?

        ??? this doesn't really make sense to me. ATA and DMA are separate
        technologies. go for the 5200 RPM drive though.

        > - CD-RW ?

        this is a personal choice. :)

        > - AND THE MORE IMPORTANT: Intern modem (with 10/100?
        > )? PCMCIA modem ?
        > - Xircom PCMCIA Ethernet or a 3com one ?

        the 3Com internal combo card (10/100 + modem) is nice, but the modem is
        not supported under Linux. if you're lucky, you might get an ActionTec
        combo, and the modem will work - but there's no way to guarantee you
        will. i would suggest getting the internal combo card anyway, and then
        buying another external modem. i would guess you would use the network
        a lot (hence, having an internal is nice) whereas you wouldn't need the
        modem as often and can suffice on a pcmcia one.

        > Is there problem to install Gnome ?
        nope

        -steve