An I8100+G2G success story

  • Brian Gold
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
      Dear ldl readers/contributors, I just want to pass on a note of thanks -
      my RH7.1 installation was nearly flawless on an I8100. System specs:

      PIII 1GHz
      128 MB RAM (1 module from Dell, I'm waiting to stick the Crucials in)
      30 GB HD
      8x CD-RW
      GeForce2Go 32MB on 1400x1050 display
      WinMe pre-installed

      I think that's all the pertinents, plus, as I mentioned, RH7.1.

      RULE: for all new group members - there is a FAQ! Read it, live it.
      It's awesome. It's in the files section for those (like me) who have a
      tendency to overlook things in their hurry.

      1. Defrag HD, run fips to give winME half, linux half (14307kb each).
      I ran fips in safe-mode, b/c I'm an idiot and didn't order a floppy
      drive. I just got this machine, so I didn't much care if I foo-bar'd
      the disk and had to start over from scratch. (But it worked, so I didn't)
      2. Run RH7.1 installer, typed 'text' at prompt
      3. Use 'fdisk' to partition disks. I didn't want/need s2d, so I didn't
      bother with the whole /dev/hda1 being a s2d partition mentioned in the
      FAQ. For those who want it, I don't think this should change much here.
      The reason to use fdisk and not disk druid (which RH recommends) is
      that disk druid will choke if you try and create / or /root above 1024
      cylinders on this machine. I've seen it work on others (Dell desktops)
      when > 1024, but here it wouldn't. fdisk didn't have a problem, but it
      did warn me that "This BIOS doesn't appear to support > 1024 cylinder
      booting". Hogwash - I'm booting beautifully. I grumbled and ignored
      the warning.
      4. Install the Laptop configuration. I customized my packages to
      include some dev stuff I wanted, but nothing affecting us here.
      5. When the installer wants to do the video section, just give some
      bogus but safe values (I used generic VGA adapter, DELL 1400X (laptop)
      display), and set some video settings. It failed (of course), and I hit
      quit. The system reboots, and I get LILO (first hurrah).
      6. Boot into linux, then download nvidia drivers from their website
      using lynx. Follow the simple RPM install instructions.
      7. Edit the XF86Config-4 file - /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 - I merged the
      existing RH settings from the "Files" and "Module" section with the one
      provided in the yahoo groups "file" section -
      "Geforce_16_24_bit_1400x1024_XF86Config-4". Pull the modelines, device
      settings, screen and monitor stuff from there but use the Files and
      Module sections from RH7.1. Be sure, though, to remove "dri" and
      "GLcore" from the Module section!
      8. In /etc/modules.conf, add the line "options NVdriver NVreg_Mobile=1"
      to the end.
      9. Run startx, get beautiful Nvidia logo. Home free - but play with
      options as mentioned in the group FAQ. The latest NVidia documents did
      hint that maybe NvAgp was getting ignored(? - did I read that right?).

      I must say, I've used a modest number of linux systems, and this one is
      hands down the sharpest, most crisp display I've seen yet. It is better
      than WinME, which is something I've never seen on any other linux box
      I've worked with. Again, many, many thanks to those who have struggled
      with the GeForce2Go in the past but helped out by writing the FAQ here
      and posting great support articles.

      Brian Gold
    • stuart@bh90210.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2001
        Mr. Gold:

        I would hope that the FAQ has been modified to include all the
        wonderful notes you have placed herein below.

        Stuart

      • nprovatas@paprican.ca
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 9, 2001
          I too am having problems getting my GfForce2GO
          card working on my I8100. My system is the same

          PIII 1GHz
          256 MB RAM
          20 GB HD
          8xDVD
          GeForce2Go 16MB on 1400x1050 SXGA+ display
          WinMe pre-installed

          In a previous not, Brian wrote a useful set on

          > 7. Edit the XF86Config-4 file - /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 - I
          >merged the existing RH settings from the "Files" and "Module"
          >section with the one provided in the yahoo groups "file" section -
          > "Geforce_16_24_bit_1400x1024_XF86Config-4". Pull the modelines,
          >device settings, screen and monitor stuff from there but use the
          >Files and Module sections from RH7.1. Be sure, though, to
          >remove "dri" and "GLcore" from the Module section!

          Can someone please tell me where I can find the
          "files" section on yahoo groups, and/or the
          "Geforce_16_24_bit_1400x1024_XF86Config-4" file?
          I am not having much luck. Thanks for any help anyone
          can give me in this matter.

          -Nikolas Provatas
        • s_e_ali@yahoo.co.uk
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 10, 2001
            To Brian Gold: Many, many thanks!!

            I'm now writing this posting from RedHat 7.1 on my I8100!!
            I eventually managed to follow your instructions and got
            things running.
            [ The only prob is that I have a card that can do 1600x1200
            so I've got 10mm border round my X screen. Any ideas anyone?
            I'll be playing around with the Modeline section today.]

            Nikolas: Try the "Files" link in the left hand pane of your
            yahoo egroups page. The hardest part was merging the
            appropriate bits of the XF86Config-4 file but it all makes
            sense in the end!

            Cheers,

            Syed

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., nprovatas@p... wrote:

            > Can someone please tell me where I can find the
            > "files" section on yahoo groups, and/or the
            > "Geforce_16_24_bit_1400x1024_XF86Config-4" file?
            > I am not having much luck. Thanks for any help anyone
            > can give me in this matter.
            >
            > -Nikolas Provatas
          • Bill Maidment
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 10, 2001
              Hi

              I had the 10mm border problem until I accidentally hit Fn+F8

              Cheers
              Bill

              s_e_ali@... wrote:

              To Brian Gold:  Many, many thanks!!

              I'm now writing this posting from RedHat 7.1 on my I8100!!
              I eventually managed to follow your instructions and got
              things running.
              [ The only prob is that I have a card that can do 1600x1200
              so I've got 10mm border round my X screen. Any ideas anyone?
              I'll be playing around with the Modeline section today.]

              Nikolas: Try the "Files" link in the left hand pane of your
              yahoo egroups page. The hardest part was merging the
              appropriate bits of the XF86Config-4 file but it all makes
              sense in the end!

              Cheers,

              Syed

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., nprovatas@p... wrote:

              >  Can someone please tell me where I can find the
              > "files" section on  yahoo groups, and/or the
              > "Geforce_16_24_bit_1400x1024_XF86Config-4" file?
              > I am not having much luck. Thanks for any help anyone
              > can give me in this matter.
              >
              > -Nikolas Provatas

            • Bill Maidment
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 10, 2001
                Bill Maidment wrote:
                Hi

                I had the 10mm border problem until I accidentally hit Fn+F8

                Cheers
                Bill

                Or was it Fn+F7 , they seem to swap over (Funny things, computers)