Re: problem with Inspiron 8100

  • Calvin N. Hobbes
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Calvin N. Hobbes" <danh@c...> wrote:
      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Boris Bronshteyn <boris@p...> wrote:
      > > Hello all,
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance for any help.
      > > I have just bought new Inspiron 8100. I am trying to install
      RedHat 7.1
      > > on it. So far unsuccessfully.
      > > The installation ends abruptly with the error and the only option I
      > have
      > > after that is to "safely shut down" my machine.
      > > This error always happens on the same spot -> while RedHat is
      > formatting
      > > swap.
      > > Have anybody experienced the same problem? Any suggestions?
      >
      > I'm still waiting for Dell to ship mine, but I've seen this in a
      > number of other computers. Try typing 'text' at the LILO prompt and
      > installing that way.
      >
      > Dan

      Now I've got mine and I see what you mean. I've tried text, I've
      tried booting with the floppy, I've tried booting CDROM I've tried
      booting with just about every configuration there is. I thought it
      was a problem with the swap and the 128 meg deal. I brought it down
      to 100 meg (512 Meg RAM probably will not do a lot of swapping.)

      Any suggestions? This thing freezes when formatting the swap space
      with an anaconda error even when in text mode.

      DanH
    • xandreax@libero.it
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
        > Now I've got mine and I see what you mean. I've tried text, I've
        > tried booting with the floppy, I've tried booting CDROM I've tried
        > booting with just about every configuration there is. I thought it
        > was a problem with the swap and the 128 meg deal. I brought it down
        > to 100 meg (512 Meg RAM probably will not do a lot of swapping.)
        >
        > Any suggestions? This thing freezes when formatting the swap space
        > with an anaconda error even when in text mode.
        >
        > DanH

        Well, try to use Mandrake 8.1.
        i tried to install on my I8100 both slackware 8.0 and Mandrake 8.0 but
        i got a lot of errors (and i don't know why), strange fs behavior,
        error during installation etc.
        Now with M8.1 all seems to go right.
        Just try it!!
        bye
        Potaman
      • ralf@spenneberg.de
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 6, 2001
          Inspiron 8100 with 30GB Harddisk

          had all problems, swap, crc-errors on boot

          Roswell (Red Hat Linux Beta) turns out to do fine (Grub as Bootloader)

          Ralf

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., xandreax@l... wrote:
          > > Now I've got mine and I see what you mean. I've tried text, I've
          > > tried booting with the floppy, I've tried booting CDROM I've tried
          > > booting with just about every configuration there is. I thought
          it
          > > was a problem with the swap and the 128 meg deal. I brought it
          down
          > > to 100 meg (512 Meg RAM probably will not do a lot of swapping.)
          > >
          > > Any suggestions? This thing freezes when formatting the swap
          space
          > > with an anaconda error even when in text mode.
          > >
          > > DanH
          >
          > Well, try to use Mandrake 8.1.
          > i tried to install on my I8100 both slackware 8.0 and Mandrake 8.0
          but
          > i got a lot of errors (and i don't know why), strange fs behavior,
          > error during installation etc.
          > Now with M8.1 all seems to go right.
          > Just try it!!
          > bye
          > Potaman
        • Calvin N. Hobbes
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 6, 2001
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., ralf@s... wrote:
            > Inspiron 8100 with 30GB Harddisk
            >
            > had all problems, swap, crc-errors on boot
            >
            > Roswell (Red Hat Linux Beta) turns out to do fine (Grub as Bootloader)

            I went ahead and installed RH 7.0 and got all the updates from the RH
            site. I will wait until 7.2 comes out and do an upgrade.

            BTW, I've got X running 1600X1200 with the NVidia 1541 drivers, went
            ahead and spent $35 and got the OSS sound stuff and I'm happy as all
            get out. Upgraded the kernel to 2.4.10 (and the modutils) and have
            the PCMCIA at least running, I only have a Xircom 10/100/56K that
            locks the machine up, but I'd imagine that's conflicting with the
            internal NIC and I'm not worried about it.

            May have to play with the modem to see if I can get it to work, but
            it's not anywhere close to a priority, I'm on a LAN everywhere I take
            this thing.

            DanH
          • hadig@slac.stanford.edu
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 6, 2001
              Hi Dan,

              do you have :
              # PCMCIA_CORE_OPTS - Put pcmcia_core options here. These options
              # For more information, look for "CORE_OPTS" in the PCMCIA-HOWTO.
              PCMCIA_CORE_OPTS="probe_io=0"

              in your /etc/rc.ocnfig file ? (see FAQ)

              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., ralf@s... wrote:
              > > Inspiron 8100 with 30GB Harddisk
              > >
              > > had all problems, swap, crc-errors on boot
              > >
              > > Roswell (Red Hat Linux Beta) turns out to do fine (Grub as Bootloader)
              > >

              > I went ahead and installed RH 7.0 and got all the updates from the RH
              > site. I will wait until 7.2 comes out and do an upgrade.
              >
              > BTW, I've got X running 1600X1200 with the NVidia 1541 drivers, went
              > ahead and spent $35 and got the OSS sound stuff and I'm happy as all
              > get out. Upgraded the kernel to 2.4.10 (and the modutils) and have
              > the PCMCIA at least running, I only have a Xircom 10/100/56K that
              > locks the machine up, but I'd imagine that's conflicting with the
              > internal NIC and I'm not worried about it.
              >
              > May have to play with the modem to see if I can get it to work, but
              > it's not anywhere close to a priority, I'm on a LAN everywhere I take
              > this thing.
              >
              > DanH

              Ciao
              Thomas

              Thomas Hadig MS 62, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025, USA
              hadig@... Tel.: +1 650 926 2810
              http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~hadig/
              In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?
            • Calvin N. Hobbes
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 6, 2001
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., hadig@s... wrote:
                > Hi Dan,
                >
                > do you have :
                > # PCMCIA_CORE_OPTS - Put pcmcia_core options here. These options
                > # For more information, look for "CORE_OPTS" in the PCMCIA-HOWTO.
                > PCMCIA_CORE_OPTS="probe_io=0"
                >
                > in your /etc/rc.ocnfig file ? (see FAQ)
                >
                > Upgraded the kernel to 2.4.10 (and the modutils) and have
                > > the PCMCIA at least running, I only have a Xircom 10/100/56K that
                > > locks the machine up, but I'd imagine that's conflicting with the
                > > internal NIC and I'm not worried about it.
                > >
                > > May have to play with the modem to see if I can get it to work, but
                > > it's not anywhere close to a priority, I'm on a LAN everywhere I take
                > > this thing.

                No, but I do now. I didn't see that one in the FAQ. I saw the port
                line but not the probe_io line.

                I'll give it a shot.

                Thanks
                DanH
              • Calvin N. Hobbes
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 7, 2001
                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., hadig@s... wrote, in response to my
                  PCMCIA lockup when I put in a second network card:

                  > Hi Dan,
                  >
                  > do you have :
                  > # PCMCIA_CORE_OPTS - Put pcmcia_core options here. These options
                  > # For more information, look for "CORE_OPTS" in the PCMCIA-HOWTO.
                  > PCMCIA_CORE_OPTS="probe_io=0"
                  >
                  > in your /etc/rc.ocnfig file ? (see FAQ)

                  No, and I still don't have it. I went back to the FAQ and set the PnP
                  BIOS Resource Checking question to 'YES', it's default is 'NO' and
                  when I put the PC Card into the computer, it picked it up and it works
                  fine. Of course when I make the two cards on the same subnet it
                  doesn't help and kinda confuses it. I thought it had locked up until
                  I got on the console and found it working fine.

                  Thank you for the suggestion, though.
                  DanH