Linux on Compaq Presario 5660

  • Guess What?!!
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2001
      Hi Everyone,
      I am a complete newbie to Linux. I am still learning the basic
      commands. Can someone please provide me with some instructions to
      load Linux 7.1 onto a Compaq Presario 5660 running Windows ME. My
      desktop has a PII - 450MHz processor, 20GB HD(IDE), CDROM/CD-RW, a
      Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax PCI Modem, a SONY Monitor, Intel 21143
      Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter and CPD-200ES on 3D Rage LT PRO
      graphics Card.
      Now, I'm not sure if i need any new drivers or something. Please
      help!

      Thanks,
      Karan.
    • Robert Penz
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2001
        On Tuesday, 2. October 2001 00:56, you wrote:
        > I am a complete newbie to Linux. I am still learning the basic
        > commands. Can someone please provide me with some instructions to
        > load Linux 7.1 onto a Compaq Presario 5660 running Windows ME. My
        > desktop has a PII - 450MHz processor, 20GB HD(IDE), CDROM/CD-RW, a
        > Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax PCI Modem, a SONY Monitor, Intel 21143
        > Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter and CPD-200ES on 3D Rage LT PRO
        > graphics Card.
        > Now, I'm not sure if i need any new drivers or something. Please
        > help!
        1. thats a dell maillist, but it's not a problem for me.
        2. there is no linux 7.1 - only distributions, I guess you mean ReadHat 7.1,
        or you mean Suse 7.1? (the company label on the package)
        3. could you describe a litte bit more what doesn't work. sure you have
        booted from the cds and what happend than?

        --
        Regards,
        Robert