S2D & MBR?

  • Rick Green
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2001
      I have a Latitude CPi 266. In the process of doing a clean install to
      upgrade to SuSE 7.2, I decided to follow the recommendations here and
      implement the S2D facility.
      When installing lilo, I specified /dev/hda3 (my root partition) instead
      of the MBR /dev/hda. I also marked hda3 'active'. The machine already
      had defined an extended partition of some 385 megabytes.
      My problem stems from the fact that I had a working Linux installation
      on this machine before, with Lilo in the MBR. Now, it's that lilo which
      attempts to boot, and it doesn't get very far.
      I believe I need to write into the MBR, a simple boot record, which will
      simply chain to the boot record in whatever partition is marked 'active',
      right? Unfortunately, running the MS-DOS 'fdtisk /mbr' isn't an
      acceptable solution, since I don't have any microsoft license for this
      machine, and I wish to keep it pure.
      Can anyone point me to a GPL'd boot record which will do the trick?

      --
      Rick Green

      "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain
      a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty
      nor safety."
      -Benjamin Franklin
    • James S. Adelman
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2001
        Does 'lilo -u /dev/hda' not acheive the same thing?

        On Sunday 30 September 2001 3:15 pm, Rick Green wrote:

        > I have a Latitude CPi 266. In the process of doing a clean install to
        > upgrade to SuSE 7.2, I decided to follow the recommendations here and
        > implement the S2D facility.
        > When installing lilo, I specified /dev/hda3 (my root partition) instead
        > of the MBR /dev/hda. I also marked hda3 'active'. The machine already
        > had defined an extended partition of some 385 megabytes.
        > My problem stems from the fact that I had a working Linux installation
        > on this machine before, with Lilo in the MBR. Now, it's that lilo which
        > attempts to boot, and it doesn't get very far.
        > I believe I need to write into the MBR, a simple boot record, which will
        > simply chain to the boot record in whatever partition is marked 'active',
        > right? Unfortunately, running the MS-DOS 'fdtisk /mbr' isn't an
        > acceptable solution, since I don't have any microsoft license for this
        > machine, and I wish to keep it pure.
        > Can anyone point me to a GPL'd boot record which will do the trick?
      • Kusli
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2001
          As mentioned before I'm working on a grub command called "s2d" which should
          detect a suspended state and automatically boot that or run the grub menu as
          usual.

          The command is working well on the command line, unfortunately not yet when
          written in the menu.lst file :-( As soon as I have some free time to waste
          I'll care about it again...

          Markus

          > I have a Latitude CPi 266. In the process of doing a clean install to
          > upgrade to SuSE 7.2, I decided to follow the recommendations here and
          > implement the S2D facility.
          > When installing lilo, I specified /dev/hda3 (my root partition) instead
          > of the MBR /dev/hda. I also marked hda3 'active'. The machine already
          > had defined an extended partition of some 385 megabytes.
          > My problem stems from the fact that I had a working Linux installation
          > on this machine before, with Lilo in the MBR. Now, it's that lilo which
          > attempts to boot, and it doesn't get very far.
          > I believe I need to write into the MBR, a simple boot record, which will
          > simply chain to the boot record in whatever partition is marked 'active',
          > right? Unfortunately, running the MS-DOS 'fdtisk /mbr' isn't an
          > acceptable solution, since I don't have any microsoft license for this
          > machine, and I wish to keep it pure.

          Yes, same reason for me to start coding that grub patch - eve if I already
          have a licence for WinME (Dell didn't want to sell me the machine without
          that dumb MS licence :-(