Mandrake 8.1, I8K, PCMCIA
I installed Mandrake 8 on my I8000 about a week ago (with the help of
http://nedharvey.com/Dell8000/Mandrake-8.0.html), and everything
seemed to work fine. A few days later, some minor things went wrong,
so I decided to reinstall. However, with LM8.1 coming out only a few
days later, I waited for that.
Yesterday I installed it. The problem with it locking up during the
install, when detecting PCMCIA slots, is still there, but avoidable.
Unfortunately, I can't seem to get PCMCIA working at all on LM8.1. I
have gone through the 'fixes' described by the above website, to the
letter - the same ones which worked on LM8.0 - with no success.
I think the problem lies with the i82365 and ds modules not being
loaded on startup. If I load those manually, the card is recognised,
but not configured properly (high beep - low beep), and I really
don't know where to go from here.