Re: Inspiron 3800

  • wayneb@metasa.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2000
      I've just gotten Red Hat 6.1 up and running on my 3800. The ESS
      Maestro sound supposedly isn't supported until kernel 2.2.14, I
      upgraded my kernel yesterday but still haven't been able to get
      things working properly. I get a lot of static through the speakers
      when I'm in GMOME and a little when I'm in KDE. I don't know if it's
      a video or a sound problem, but I'm working on it.

      As for the modem, everything I've read says that Linux and winmodems
      don't work together at all. It has to do with the fact that
      winmodems let Windows do some of the processing for them with
      propiotary hardware. If this info is out of date or just wrong I'm
      sure that someone will let us know.

      Wayne
      wayneb@...

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, Arkaitz <ma9aba@b...> wrote:
      > Has anybody managed to make the internal modem and sound work in an
      Inspiron 3800, I hava most of it working except these two. I've
      bought another modem, but I _really_ miss the sound!