Re: spinning disk

  • chris@river.org
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2000
      I've had mixed results, and I'm still not up to speed on
      this -- however:

      When I tapped Fn+Standby on my Dell Latitude 450 MC,
      initially the machine would 'bounce back' in about half
      a second -- it would look like it was going to go to
      sleep, and then it'd come right back. Eventually, I
      disabled gpm (for the mouse) and that seemed to do the
      trick. I was half-convinced that's all I need do, since
      the logs clearly showed that 'nothing happened' for
      several hours, and 'cron.daily' did not run at the
      appointed hour. It ran as soon as I opened the closed
      cover of the 450 MC! (within a few minutes of that,
      anyway).

      I need to read more, and find out what programs or
      daemons would help me, but the suspend (Standby) function
      of the BIOS seems to work pretty well on it's own. I
      wish I'd taken better notes, because I tried this earlier
      in the year, and could not make it work at all. The
      only things I've done to help were to add 'apm=on' to
      the lilo.conf (or the ms-dos batch file that calls
      loadlin) and that business about gpm.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Ned Ragdnuos"
      article:http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/?start