Unresolved issues with Red Hat 7.1 on Inspiron 7500
- My system:
Inspiron 7500, 128MB RAM, 20G HD with 1st partition
(unformatted) for S2D.
Red Hat 7.1 (stock with all upgrades except kernel upgrade)
- Graphire USB not working with XFree 4.0.3 (working on that)
seriously considering downgrade to 3.3.5 as I don't see
any advantages of having 4.0.3 over 3.3.5
- Suspend to RAM not working
- Suspend to DISK not working
- Activation of ADSL on boot fails (have to do it manually)
- It somehow NEVER executes rc5.d/S99local
- Keyboard rate ALWAYS reverts to a very slow setting
whenever the system boots, even if S99local has the kbdrate
command to set it to a higher rate. It even goes back in
the Gnome keyboard settings.
- Every upgrade ALL the desktop URL links get broken (I don't
know what on earth Gnome does, the files are the same but
somehow it keeps this info somewhere else, bad design IMHO).
- Upon boot it keeps on trying to add a desktop icon for the
boot floppy and cdrom but it fails ???!!! very annoying.
- The ADSL setup tool is useless, does not even allow to
- The Lokkit IPCHAIN tool/gui was also useless. I had to remove
both IPCHAINS & IPTABLES to be able to connect to internet.
Of course, this is greatly in part because I am a very ignorant
about Firewalls :-) but then I am just a user trying to
get his Linux system fully operational.
If anybody has gotten any of these issues resolved please
drop me a line (or reply to this post).