Unresolved issues with Red Hat 7.1 on Inspiron 7500

  • degt@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2001
      My system:
      Inspiron 7500, 128MB RAM, 20G HD with 1st partition
      (unformatted) for S2D.
      Red Hat 7.1 (stock with all upgrades except kernel upgrade)

      Unresolved issues:

      - Graphire USB not working with XFree 4.0.3 (working on that)
      seriously considering downgrade to 3.3.5 as I don't see
      any advantages of having 4.0.3 over 3.3.5
      - Suspend to RAM not working
      - Suspend to DISK not working
      - Activation of ADSL on boot fails (have to do it manually)
      - It somehow NEVER executes rc5.d/S99local
      - Keyboard rate ALWAYS reverts to a very slow setting
      whenever the system boots, even if S99local has the kbdrate
      command to set it to a higher rate. It even goes back in
      the Gnome keyboard settings.
      - Every upgrade ALL the desktop URL links get broken (I don't
      know what on earth Gnome does, the files are the same but
      somehow it keeps this info somewhere else, bad design IMHO).
      - Upon boot it keeps on trying to add a desktop icon for the
      boot floppy and cdrom but it fails ???!!! very annoying.
      - The ADSL setup tool is useless, does not even allow to
      press OK.
      - The Lokkit IPCHAIN tool/gui was also useless. I had to remove
      both IPCHAINS & IPTABLES to be able to connect to internet.
      Of course, this is greatly in part because I am a very ignorant
      about Firewalls :-) but then I am just a user trying to
      get his Linux system fully operational.

      If anybody has gotten any of these issues resolved please
      drop me a line (or reply to this post).