An S2D question

  • degt@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 28, 2001
      Sorry to dwelve on this... When I partitioned my new
      harddrive, I made a big enough S2D partition (not formatted)
      as the first primary partition. The 2nd is Win2K and the
      rest Linux. Now, both OSs are running fine (well, Linux
      isn't).

      I keep on reading about S2D phpdisk and it seems that
      CREATES the partition, I don't need that. I HAVE a
      partition made for S2D, it is just not formatted yet.
      Can PHPDISK (or whathever the toolname is) do that?
      I remember marking it as an IBM suspend partition but
      since it was not formatted the system wouldn't boot
      anymore from HD because it was trying to resume from
      the uninitialized S2D partition.

      So, anybody knows if that is possible or must I repartition
      again (I have to OS installed & configured already!).

      I tried suspending (closing the lid) on my I75K with RH7.1
      and the screen went black, PCMCIA shut down, but the system
      itself didn't go to sleep (back in RH6.0 you could hear the
      HD shutdown). And... it never came back to life again, I had
      to power off (forcefully).

      This is a nightmare, when I upgraded from 6.0 to the 6.1/7.0
      mix suspend stopped to work. Now that I upgraded to RH7.1
      things got worse, the firewalling thing shut me off from the
      rest of the world (had to remove it completely), suspend STILL
      does not work, and the wonderful XFree 4.0.3 doesn't like
      my Graphire USB tablet (I will downgrade to XFree 3.3.5).

      Back to the question: any safe way to use phpdisk to FORMAT
      the existing partition? I am hoping to get that done so
      that I can firewall it and keep the DSL connection up.
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 28, 2001
        Have you tried deleting the partition and letting phdisk recreate it?
        Or is there a reason you don't want to do that? From what I recall,
        phdisk should take that unallocated space (after you delete it),
        recreate the partition and then format it...

        -steve

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 29, 2001
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
          > Have you tried deleting the partition and letting phdisk recreate
          it?
          > Or is there a reason you don't want to do that? From what I recall,
          > phdisk should take that unallocated space (after you delete it),
          > recreate the partition and then format it...
          >
          > -steve

          Since S2D is /dev/hda1 I am afraid that by "deleting" it
          the former /dev/hda2 would become /dev/hda1. Never done
          it that way and don't want to lose days of work :) but
          if deleting it does not cause what I think then please
          correct me.

          I noticed fdisk (Linux) has a way to mark the partition
          as Empty (I had it as 0x0b WIN32 FAT - unformatted),
          maybe that ought to do it (but was afraid of the side
          effect I just mentioned).

          That hopefully solved the suspend to disk, haven't
          resolved suspend to ram yet.
        • Stephen Lau
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 29, 2001
            If you delete it, your partitions won't re-order themselves, don't worry
            about that. :) I would suggest trying that... it might work.

            -steve

          • degt@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2001
              --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
              > If you delete it, your partitions won't re-order themselves, don't
              worry
              > about that. :) I would suggest trying that... it might work.

              Took the plunge and marked /dev/hda1 (the 266MB S2D-to-be) as
              Empty (partition ID 0). That way PHDISK was able to see it
              as candidate and I was able to "create" the partition (without
              actually deleting it). It formatted the partition too.

              Linux would still hang when trying to suspend (do I have to
              set the BIOS to standby? I have disabled StandBy and my
              Suspend is set to SuspendToRAM. So I am at a loss there.

              The problem was... after this my Windows2000 refuses to
              boot complaining about a corrupted system32/ntoskrnl.exe :(
              I wonder if that PHDISK utility instead of formatting the
              actual partition did screw up my current Win2k partition.
              Tomorrow I am going to install WinXP there, need something
              to fall back on, Linux is giving me just too many problems
              right now :(

              At least the Linux partition didn't get screwed up.
            • degt@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 30, 2001
                > Took the plunge and marked /dev/hda1 (the 266MB S2D-to-be) as
                > Empty (partition ID 0). That way PHDISK was able to see it
                > as candidate and I was able to "create" the partition (without
                > actually deleting it). It formatted the partition too.

                Just did an FDISK from linux and see something odd. There
                is no hda1 anymore! somehow my first partition which
                does begin from sector one (1) (the former hda1), now
                appears as /dev/hda4, and it is marked as an IBM
                hybernation partition (done by PHDISK). Does s2d require
                it to be partition hda1? or is it enough that it
                start at sector 1?
              • hadig@slac.stanford.edu
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 1, 2001

                  I had the same problem with my I8k ...
                  I fixed it by deleting the PHDISK partion and using the
                  mks2d -f
                  program on the same DELL support disk instead.
                  The difference is at least in the parition type:
                  mine is:
                  /dev/hda3 1 18 144553+ 84 OS/2 hidden C: drive
                  It might also be formatted in a different way.

                  The "number" of the partion is not important. The BIOS checks the partition
                  type, AFAIK.

                  > > Took the plunge and marked /dev/hda1 (the 266MB S2D-to-be) as
                  > > Empty (partition ID 0). That way PHDISK was able to see it
                  > > as candidate and I was able to "create" the partition (without
                  > > actually deleting it). It formatted the partition too.
                  > >

                  > Just did an FDISK from linux and see something odd. There
                  > is no hda1 anymore! somehow my first partition which
                  > does begin from sector one (1) (the former hda1), now
                  > appears as /dev/hda4, and it is marked as an IBM
                  > hybernation partition (done by PHDISK). Does s2d require
                  > it to be partition hda1? or is it enough that it
                  > start at sector 1?

                  Ciao
                  Thomas

                  Thomas Hadig MS 62, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025, USA
                  hadig@... Tel.: +1 650 926 2810
                  http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~hadig/
                  In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?
                • degt@hotmail.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 3, 2001
                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., hadig@s... wrote:
                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I had the same problem with my I8k ...
                    > I fixed it by deleting the PHDISK partion and using the
                    > mks2d -f
                    > program on the same DELL support disk instead.

                    Last time I looked I didn't see s2d in the I75K support
                    site. I am nearly desperate to get at least S2R to
                    work (that is broken too) working. Last time I used
                    PHDISK it did recreated the partition (it marked it
                    as hibernation partition) but it ALSO screwed up my
                    Windows2K installation, it left it unusable and I
                    had to reinstall. I've lost confidence in those
                    utilities.

                    To aggravate things I followed the instructions to
                    modify boot.ini to boot linux given the bootsector
                    file stored in the Win partition, but when I select
                    "linux" i simply get a black screen. I'm thinking of
                    going back to the graphical boot selection that comes
                    default with RH (it seems it installed in on the
                    MBR even though I instructed it to do it on the
                    root partition). However, if I do that I think the
                    S2D scheme might not work.

                    So far BIG drawback of linux upgrades on laptops: S2D & S2R
                    always stop working and everytime it gets more and more
                    complicated to fix the problem.