Re: Dell i8000 Opinions: Good vs. Bad... ???

  • nsounthala@experience.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28 8:10 AM
      Yes I enjoy my I5Ke but definitely need more space and a bigger HD.
      I've called dell a few times to see what was involved in upgrading the
      screen size AND hd, but I would have to send my computer in and wait
      three weeks. I also am being a kid and want the cdrw drive built in.
      After looking over the changes, I figure I might as well get a new
      system.

      As for the ram, I've bought from crucial many times but for desktops,
      never for laptops. What's the exact model you got for your I5Ke. I
      want to get a 256 Dimm, will that work for the I8100 as well?

      Hmmm, I'll have to look into the video driver issue. I wish dell
      would have just kept the ati's on the 8100 model.

      Thanks for the info...

      NS

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "McDonnell, Stephen" <SMcDonnell@A...>
      wrote:
      > Ahh a fellow I5Ke user. As far as the least ram I mean PC ram since
      Dell
      > will be considerably more expensive than independent choices. I
      bought a
      > 128 pc133 stick for my I5ke for $29 nearly 4 months ago. I've seen
      prices
      > as low as $19 now for 128 pc133. Unless Dell is real close in price
      > (usually not) I wouldn't buy it from them with minimal ram and buy
      your
      > upgrade ram it from Costco, best buy or crucile.com (sp)
      >
      > As far as the GeForce being a pain, yes the drivers are bad since
      Nvidia
      > uses closed source drivers and I've read many stories of people
      being
      > greeted with a black screen on install if they don't set it up just
      right.
      > Do some research on the drivers before you buy and be sure that your
      willing
      > to give up some of the Nvidia features in order to use it. Don't
      get me
      > wrong I like the GeForce video and people do use it but it doesn't
      setup as
      > easy as the ATI. Check out the group Linux Newbies, there has been
      some
      > discussion recently on this.
      >
      > Have you considered ordering a new HD and a UXGA screen as an
      upgrade?
      > Sounds like it would be cheaper. I have a I5Ke with PIII-700, 192
      ram,
      > 20gig, ATI 16mb and UXGA screen and aside from having a 32mb GeForce
      I love
      > it. (Mine is no longer a Linux machine, I have a dedicated desktop
      for this
      > now, so if someone wants a nice I5Ke with the above at a decent
      price shoot
      > me an email)
      >
      > Steve

    • McDonnell, Stephen
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 28 8:22 AM
        If you go to Crucial they have a drop down box with all the models in it,
        check it out. I don't have www access or I'd take a peek for ya :( As far
        as upgrading the parts through dell I upgraded my 5gb drive to 20gb easy
        enough and the screen is replaceable with minimal hassles. If you wanted to
        pursue this route I could help you arrange the purchase of the UXGA screen
        since mine comes with it I could place an order for one i.e. when they look
        up your Service tag number. I'll check their parts section tonight and see
        how much a refurb screen goes for. AFA the CDRW I guess that's personal
        preference I use an external and have virtually no problems with it. As
        with any other all in one products beware of hassles of it breaking you lose
        your CD and CDRW. If your interested in the UXGA screen email me privately.

        Steve