Re: [linux-dell-laptops] UNcompressing gz file in RH 5.2

  • hadig@slac.stanford.edu
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 27, 2001
      Hi,

      you could try to use
      file pcmcia-cs-3.1.29.tar.gz
      and see what it says.

      It should read like:
      ksiminus:private 48> file fresh.ps.gz
      fresh.ps.gz: gzip compressed data, deflated, original filename, `fresh.ps', last modified: Mon Jul 16 11:07:13 2001, os: Unix

      Please make also sure that you download/copy the file in "binary" mode.
      If you use ASCII mode, CR and NL might be changed or the 8th bit might be striped.

      Ciao
      Thomas

      > The tar command failed to recognize the file as a gzip file. I tried the tar command without the z option and it failed indicating that it wasn't an archive... This is the third time I've downloaded this file! Anyone else have any clues???

      Ciao
      Thomas

      Thomas Hadig MS 62, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025, USA
      hadig@... Tel.: +1 650 926 2810
      http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~hadig/
      In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?