[linux-dell-laptops] Latitude CPt work?

  • bill+dell@numerical.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 17 9:42 AM
      I'm thinking about buying the Latitude CPt 400. Dell can't tell me if
      it will work with Linux though. Anyone know?

      Also, what about the Latitude C/Port II? (3Com 3C920 10/100 PC98
      compliant)
    • Matthew Schlegel
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 17 10:11 AM
        On Tue Aug 17 09:42:28 1999, bill+dell@... rambled into the ether:
        > I'm thinking about buying the Latitude CPt 400. Dell can't tell me if
        > it will work with Linux though. Anyone know?
        >
        > Also, what about the Latitude C/Port II? (3Com 3C920 10/100 PC98
        > compliant)

        So far I have the base system up and running on my CPt 400. The docking port
        ethernet works with the 3com Vortex/Boomerang driver (3c59x.o). I havn't had
        much luck with APM yet. Won't go into standby mode, although it does shut off
        the backlight on the screen. I havn't gotten to X and sound yet and havn't
        tried the 3com PCMCIA modem/nic yet. Running 2.3.13 kernel.
      • neil@thump.org
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 17 10:45 AM
          On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 bill+dell@... wrote:

          > I'm thinking about buying the Latitude CPt 400. Dell can't tell me if
          > it will work with Linux though. Anyone know?

          Sound work and there have been some problems reported with some neomagic
          graphics drivers (see the B

          see http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops for infoB

          > Also, what about the Latitude C/Port II? (3Com 3C920 10/100 PC98
          > compliant)

          Not sure. See the above link and check the latest PCMCIA HOWTO.

          Neil
        • neil@thump.org
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 17 11:10 AM
            On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Matthew Schlegel wrote:

            > On Tue Aug 17 09:42:28 1999, bill+dell@... rambled into the ether:
            > > I'm thinking about buying the Latitude CPt 400. Dell can't tell me if
            > > it will work with Linux though. Anyone know?
            > >
            > > Also, what about the Latitude C/Port II? (3Com 3C920 10/100 PC98
            > > compliant)
            > >

            > So far I have the base system up and running on my CPt 400. The docking port
            > ethernet works with the 3com Vortex/Boomerang driver (3c59x.o). I havn't had
            > much luck with APM yet. Won't go into standby mode, although it does shut off
            > the backlight on the screen. I havn't gotten to X and sound yet and havn't
            > tried the 3com PCMCIA modem/nic yet. Running 2.3.13 kernel.

            Don't you have to recompile APM support into your kernel ? i think
            there's a HOWTO on it anyway somewhere - isn't there always ?

            Since my work insisted on giving me a laptop I never bother with APM or
            anything - it just sits in the docking station for weeks on end running
            happily. My colleagues are always rebooting their windoze machines :-)

            Neil