[linux-dell-laptops] Re: CDROM

  • anguyen@ee.gatech.edu
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 17, 1999
      Hello,

      I've reinstalled Caldera Linux on my laptop. The CDROM worked a few
      times after instatllation. At those times, when there is a CD in the
      drive, Linux recognizes it at bootup in hdc (similar to below). But
      now it doesn't see the drive at all, even with a CD in the drive.

      How can I make Linux recognizes the drive at bootup?

      Sincerely,
      Anh

      =53

      shaslam@...

    • Anh Van Nguyen
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 17, 1999
        Well, it is about my DELL lattitude Cpi A366XT which i am trying to get
        Linux to work on.

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 17, 1999

        • neil@thump.org
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 17, 1999
            On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Anh Van Nguyen wrote:

            > Well, it is about my DELL lattitude Cpi A366XT which i am trying to get
            > Linux to work on.

            It seems to me you are asking how to mount your CD rom drive ? That's in
            the CD ROM Howto which I presume you've studied.

            Try deja news then post a query to a newsgroup then if that fails come
            back and ask here.

            If I'm not mistaken you are asking how to edit /ect/fstab ? Or trying get
            mount command to work or am I completely wrong ?

            Neil
          • Anh Van Nguyen
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 17, 1999
              It is not about mounting the device. I see it in /etc/fstab files. I think
              it may be a hardware problem

              For example, I just turned my notebook on and it seems to recognize the
              cdrom. I see in the bootup message dmesg.

              neil@... wrote:

              > On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 anguyen@... wrote:
              >
              > > How can I make Linux recognizes the drive at bootup?
              >
              > Can you ask these kinds of questions on comp.os.linux.misc please. You'll
              > probably find a lot of the answers you need from www.deja.com.
              >
              > This mailing list is about problems relating directly to DELL hardware &
              > linux, not a support list for general linux questions.
              >
              > thanks
              >
              > Neil (List censor)

              > ebates.com. Earn up to 25% cash back for shopping online at 75 stores
              > like Borders, CDNow and Beyond.com. Refer a friend and earn even more!
              > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/690
              >
              > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops
            • Ed Psycho
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 13, 2000
                I am having this exact same problem, on a Dell Latitude CPt. I
                am running RH 6.1 (Cartman). I did not see a resolution to this
                issue... anyone else figure this out?

                TIA,

                ed_psycho

                =51

              • sm0le@netzero.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 13, 2000
                  The thing with mnt the cd rom is that u type mount dev/cdrom not mnt/cdrom