Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Framebuffer console (was: New NVIDIA Drivers)

  • neuffer@sciobyte.de
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 6, 2001
      Quoting Rene Tschirley (pooh@...-berlin.de):
      > Domsalla, Thorsten:
      > > > Can you tell me what you configured where to get the frame buffer
      > > > running like that ?
      > >
      > > Hm, after editing the main Makefile in the Linux source tree[...]
      >
      > There is a document at the Linux kernel documentation
      > (Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt). Additionally, the 'Framebuffer HOWTO'
      > explains in detail what to do.
      >
      > Enjoy the boot logo (especially on a SMP system) :-)

      I know how it works, I have several other machines running
      with fb, amongst them an i7k, a DEC Multia (alpha) and a dual PPro
      with a Permedia graphics chipset.

      It simply doesn't seem to work with this i8k.......
      That is why I wanted to know what exactly you configured where
      so that I can compare.

      Mike

      --
      People often think of research as a form of development -- that it's
      about doing exactly what you planned, doing it on time, and doing it
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 6, 2001
        After changing lilo.conf, did you then run "/sbin/lilo"?

        Don Stubbs
        > > Did you configure the nVidia Riva or the VESA VGA support in your
        >
        > VESA VGA

        Hmmm.... It doesn't seem to like 883 as VGA mode.

        I configured it in lilo.conf, but when I boot I still get the
        video mode selection prompt.

        Mike

        --
        People often think of research as a form of development -- that it's
        about doing exactly what you planned, doing it on time, and doing it
        with resources that you said you'd use.  But if you're going to do
        that, you have to know what you are doing, and if you know what you
        are doing, it isn't really research."
                     --Dave Liddle, The New Yorker, Feb. 23/Mar.2, 1998, p84

      • Rene Tschirley
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 6, 2001
          > The modelines that xvidtune spits out all have a dot clock of 108 Mhz.
          > "1400x1050" 108.00 1400 1448 1462 1688 1050 1050 1053 1066

          This line did not work in my i8k with G2G because 1462 - 1448 = 14 which
          is not a multiple of 4. I changed 1462 to 1464 and the server seems to be
          happy with it. Maybe you just try it?

          Bye,
          René

          --
          Dipl.-Inform. René Tschirley http://www.cs.tu-berlin.de/~pooh
          TU Berlin, Computer Graphics and Computer Assisted Medicine research group
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 6, 2001
            David Megginson:
            > 3. The NV AGP still doesn't work, but AGPGART does.

            Well, at least, you can use NV AGP. I tried and I wasn't very happy with
            it, since all 3D software I started, crashed with a segv. The glut demos
            got killed when calling glutCreateWindow() and Unreal Tournament
            terminated when talking with /dev/nvidiactl (afair).

            When using AGPGART, everything works fine.

            But -- I tried the same procedure _without_ kernel AGP support. I noticed
            no difference! The glut demos and UT performed as well without AGP. Well,
            what is AGPGART good for?

            > > 4. The XServer *still* crashes when I close the Gnome Control Center.

            I have no problems with that.

            I posted your and my observations to the xpert mail list and here's what
            Mark Vojkovich answered to your points 4+5:

            > I don't see how these can have anything to do with NVIDIA. Most
            > likely they are related to the known bugs in the FreeType module.
            > No problems here.

            Anyway, I do ovserve something quite strange. With driver 1251 I could
            use any screen resolution in fullscreen mode. The chipset interpolated
            the screen resolution to match the full display size. With driver 1512,
            the screen resolution exactly matches the display resolution without
            interpolation, so if I try 1024x768 or even worse 800x600, I look on a
            stamp-sized display.

            Any hints?

            Bye,
            René

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 6, 2001
              Quoting Don Stubbs (stubbsd@...):
              > After changing lilo.conf, did you then run "/sbin/lilo"?

              Of course.

              Mike