Re: [linux-dell-laptops] How to non-destructively partion an 18 gb HD on I7500?

  • Stan Blank
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2000
      Kirk,

      Thanks for a timely and informative answer! I really appreciate it and
      given your detailed instructions (and the fact that I've installed Linux
      several times on smaller drives), I don't expect to have any problems....

      Thanks again,

      Stan
      -------------------------------------
      Stan Blank, Ph.D.
      Wayne City High School
      Wayne City, IL 62895
      -------------------------------------

      > On 18 May 2000, at 11:34, sblank@... wrote:
      >
      > > I need to install Linux on my new I7500 with an 18 gb hard drive.
      >
      > Congratulations! I just installed Debian GNU/Linux on the same model with
      the
      > same size hard drive.
      >
      > > understand there are some issues involved with hard drives over 8
      > > gig. Can anyone provide a link to:
      >
      > The only issue I'm aware of is with the Linux bootmanager LILO. In the
      older
      > versions you needed to have the root partition begin before cylinder 1024
      > get the thing to boot properly. The most recent version of LILO no longer
      has
      > that limitation. If you install RedHat 6.2 or Debian 2.2 "Potato" (which
      is
      > what I use), then you should have no problems at all.
      >
      > In my own case, I split the hard drive in half, 6GB for Windows and 12GB
      for
      > Linux.
      >
      > > 1) A partitioning tool that will keep my Win98SE installation (no
      > > apologies forthcoming <g>) and also keep the ZZ factory image intact.
      >
      > FIPS v. 2.0 is the tool you need. I'm not sure what you mean by the "ZZ
      factory
      > image." Is that for use by the "suspend/hibernate" feature? If so, then I
      know
      > of no tool that will do that for you. After I installed Debian, I got an
      error
      > message on the bootup from the BIOS about something like that. It points
      you to
      > their web site. There's probably a way to restore it, using the new disk
      > geometry...I just haven't taken the time to look into it, for it isn't
      mission
      > critical for my use of the machine. YMMV, of course.
      >
      > On the RedHat 6.2 Binary disk, FIPS is under the /dosutils directory.
      You'll
      > find versions 1.5 and 2.0. Only use 2.0 for the larger disks like yours!!
      >
      > Be sure to RTFM in the /dosutils/fipsdoc directory! Follow their
      directions,
      > and all should go well. The program prompts you for a floppy to save the
      FAT
      > tables and can restore your hard disk to its original condition if
      anything
      > goes wrong (and it did for me, once! A power outage during the partioning!
      But
      > FIPS made a possible nightmare just a hassle needing a bit of extra
      time...)

      > I've read often on the net that Partition Magic works great for lossless
      > partitioning. But I've never wanted to pay the money for it....
      >
      > > 2) Step-by-step instructions on how to properly make the free
      > > partition available to Red Hat 6.1.
      >
      > The FIPS docs will give this to you. I recently installed RedHat 6.2
      (which I
      > recommend you upgrade to; you can download a CDROM image from one of the
      RedHat
      > mirrors and burn it on a CDR for free; this is what I do.) on a new
      desktop
      > with a Win98 dual boot for a colleague at work, and here is what I did:
      >
      > 1. Defragmented the harddisk. This is because FIPS cuts off the amount of
      space
      > from the *end* of the partition. So you want as much free space as
      possible,
      > and all files moved as far forward as possible.
      >
      > 1a. I always do a printout of my CMOS settings, and copy all the
      information
      > from the device manager of the system applet from the control panel in
      Win98. I
      > note IRQs, I/O addresses, what kind of devices, disk type numbers, monitor
      > settings, chipsets for video. Some of that you can get from the
      documentation
      > that comes with the machine or off DELL's web site. Most of that is for
      > providing the hardware settings one needs to the RedHat installation
      program.

      > 2. Changed the CMOS to boot first from the CDROM.
      >
      > 3. Rebooted with the RedHat 6.2 binary disk in the CDROM. Linux booted up,
      and
      > I simply followed the prompts from there. When I got to the disk
      partitioning
      > part, I chose Disk Druid, and created a swap disk and a /root partition.
      You