problem with Inspiron 8100

  • Boris Bronshteyn
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 4, 2001
      Hello all,

      Thanks in advance for any help.
      I have just bought new Inspiron 8100. I am trying to install RedHat 7.1
      on it. So far unsuccessfully.
      The installation ends abruptly with the error and the only option I have
      after that is to "safely shut down" my machine.
      This error always happens on the same spot -> while RedHat is formatting
      swap.
      Have anybody experienced the same problem? Any suggestions?

      Thank you very much,
      Boris
    • Calvin N. Hobbes
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 26, 2001
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Boris Bronshteyn <boris@p...> wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any help.
        > I have just bought new Inspiron 8100. I am trying to install RedHat 7.1
        > on it. So far unsuccessfully.
        > The installation ends abruptly with the error and the only option I
        have
        > after that is to "safely shut down" my machine.
        > This error always happens on the same spot -> while RedHat is
        formatting
        > swap.
        > Have anybody experienced the same problem? Any suggestions?

        I'm still waiting for Dell to ship mine, but I've seen this in a
        number of other computers. Try typing 'text' at the LILO prompt and
        installing that way.

        Dan
      • Calvin N. Hobbes
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2001
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Calvin N. Hobbes" <danh@c...> wrote:
          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Boris Bronshteyn <boris@p...> wrote:
          > > Hello all,
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance for any help.
          > > I have just bought new Inspiron 8100. I am trying to install
          RedHat 7.1
          > > on it. So far unsuccessfully.
          > > The installation ends abruptly with the error and the only option I
          > have
          > > after that is to "safely shut down" my machine.
          > > This error always happens on the same spot -> while RedHat is
          > formatting
          > > swap.
          > > Have anybody experienced the same problem? Any suggestions?
          >
          > I'm still waiting for Dell to ship mine, but I've seen this in a
          > number of other computers. Try typing 'text' at the LILO prompt and
          > installing that way.
          >
          > Dan

          Now I've got mine and I see what you mean. I've tried text, I've
          tried booting with the floppy, I've tried booting CDROM I've tried
          booting with just about every configuration there is. I thought it
          was a problem with the swap and the 128 meg deal. I brought it down
          to 100 meg (512 Meg RAM probably will not do a lot of swapping.)

          Any suggestions? This thing freezes when formatting the swap space
          with an anaconda error even when in text mode.

          DanH
        • xandreax@libero.it
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2001
            > Now I've got mine and I see what you mean. I've tried text, I've
            > tried booting with the floppy, I've tried booting CDROM I've tried
            > booting with just about every configuration there is. I thought it
            > was a problem with the swap and the 128 meg deal. I brought it down
            > to 100 meg (512 Meg RAM probably will not do a lot of swapping.)
            >
            > Any suggestions? This thing freezes when formatting the swap space
            > with an anaconda error even when in text mode.
            >
            > DanH

            Well, try to use Mandrake 8.1.
            i tried to install on my I8100 both slackware 8.0 and Mandrake 8.0 but
            i got a lot of errors (and i don't know why), strange fs behavior,
            error during installation etc.
            Now with M8.1 all seems to go right.
            Just try it!!
            bye
            Potaman
          • ralf@spenneberg.de
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 6, 2001
              Inspiron 8100 with 30GB Harddisk

              had all problems, swap, crc-errors on boot

              Roswell (Red Hat Linux Beta) turns out to do fine (Grub as Bootloader)

              Ralf

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., xandreax@l... wrote:
              > > Now I've got mine and I see what you mean. I've tried text, I've
              > > tried booting with the floppy, I've tried booting CDROM I've tried
              > > booting with just about every configuration there is. I thought
              it
              > > was a problem with the swap and the 128 meg deal. I brought it
              down
              > > to 100 meg (512 Meg RAM probably will not do a lot of swapping.)
              > >
              > > Any suggestions? This thing freezes when formatting the swap
              space
              > > with an anaconda error even when in text mode.
              > >
              > > DanH
              >
              > Well, try to use Mandrake 8.1.
              > i tried to install on my I8100 both slackware 8.0 and Mandrake 8.0
              but
              > i got a lot of errors (and i don't know why), strange fs behavior,
              > error during installation etc.
              > Now with M8.1 all seems to go right.
              > Just try it!!
              > bye
              > Potaman
            • Calvin N. Hobbes
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 6, 2001
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., ralf@s... wrote:
                > Inspiron 8100 with 30GB Harddisk
                >
                > had all problems, swap, crc-errors on boot
                >
                > Roswell (Red Hat Linux Beta) turns out to do fine (Grub as Bootloader)

                I went ahead and installed RH 7.0 and got all the updates from the RH
                site. I will wait until 7.2 comes out and do an upgrade.

                BTW, I've got X running 1600X1200 with the NVidia 1541 drivers, went
                ahead and spent $35 and got the OSS sound stuff and I'm happy as all
                get out. Upgraded the kernel to 2.4.10 (and the modutils) and have
                the PCMCIA at least running, I only have a Xircom 10/100/56K that
                locks the machine up, but I'd imagine that's conflicting with the
                internal NIC and I'm not worried about it.

                May have to play with the modem to see if I can get it to work, but
                it's not anywhere close to a priority, I'm on a LAN everywhere I take
                this thing.

                DanH
              • hadig@slac.stanford.edu
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 6, 2001
                  Hi Dan,

                  do you have :
                  # PCMCIA_CORE_OPTS - Put pcmcia_core options here. These options
                  # For more information, look for "CORE_OPTS" in the PCMCIA-HOWTO.
                  PCMCIA_CORE_OPTS="probe_io=0"

                  in your /etc/rc.ocnfig file ? (see FAQ)

                  > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., ralf@s... wrote:
                  > > Inspiron 8100 with 30GB Harddisk
                  > >
                  > > had all problems, swap, crc-errors on boot
                  > >
                  > > Roswell (Red Hat Linux Beta) turns out to do fine (Grub as Bootloader)
                  > >

                  > I went ahead and installed RH 7.0 and got all the updates from the RH
                  > site. I will wait until 7.2 comes out and do an upgrade.
                  >
                  > BTW, I've got X running 1600X1200 with the NVidia 1541 drivers, went
                  > ahead and spent $35 and got the OSS sound stuff and I'm happy as all
                  > get out. Upgraded the kernel to 2.4.10 (and the modutils) and have
                  > the PCMCIA at least running, I only have a Xircom 10/100/56K that
                  > locks the machine up, but I'd imagine that's conflicting with the
                  > internal NIC and I'm not worried about it.
                  >
                  > May have to play with the modem to see if I can get it to work, but
                  > it's not anywhere close to a priority, I'm on a LAN everywhere I take
                  > this thing.
                  >
                  > DanH

                  Ciao
                  Thomas

                  Thomas Hadig MS 62, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025, USA
                  hadig@... Tel.: +1 650 926 2810
                  http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~hadig/
                  In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?
                • Calvin N. Hobbes
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 6, 2001
                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., hadig@s... wrote:
                    > Hi Dan,
                    >
                    > do you have :
                    > # PCMCIA_CORE_OPTS - Put pcmcia_core options here. These options
                    > # For more information, look for "CORE_OPTS" in the PCMCIA-HOWTO.
                    > PCMCIA_CORE_OPTS="probe_io=0"
                    >
                    > in your /etc/rc.ocnfig file ? (see FAQ)
                    >
                    > Upgraded the kernel to 2.4.10 (and the modutils) and have
                    > > the PCMCIA at least running, I only have a Xircom 10/100/56K that
                    > > locks the machine up, but I'd imagine that's conflicting with the
                    > > internal NIC and I'm not worried about it.
                    > >
                    > > May have to play with the modem to see if I can get it to work, but
                    > > it's not anywhere close to a priority, I'm on a LAN everywhere I take
                    > > this thing.

                    No, but I do now. I didn't see that one in the FAQ. I saw the port
                    line but not the probe_io line.

                    I'll give it a shot.

                    Thanks
                    DanH
                  • Calvin N. Hobbes
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 7, 2001
                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., hadig@s... wrote, in response to my
                      PCMCIA lockup when I put in a second network card:

                      > Hi Dan,
                      >
                      > do you have :
                      > # PCMCIA_CORE_OPTS - Put pcmcia_core options here. These options
                      > # For more information, look for "CORE_OPTS" in the PCMCIA-HOWTO.
                      > PCMCIA_CORE_OPTS="probe_io=0"
                      >
                      > in your /etc/rc.ocnfig file ? (see FAQ)

                      No, and I still don't have it. I went back to the FAQ and set the PnP
                      BIOS Resource Checking question to 'YES', it's default is 'NO' and
                      when I put the PC Card into the computer, it picked it up and it works
                      fine. Of course when I make the two cards on the same subnet it
                      doesn't help and kinda confuses it. I thought it had locked up until
                      I got on the console and found it working fine.

                      Thank you for the suggestion, though.
                      DanH