Dell Notebook CPtS and Dell P790 Monitor

  • lisnalinchy@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2001
      I am having a really strange problem with a Dell Lattitude notebook
      (CPtS) and a Dell P790 monitor.

      At work I want to use a base station and Dell monitor. I have a
      standard Dell base station and the Dell P790 connected to it. The
      problem discribed below is not affected by the base station only by
      the monitor (I have connected the monitor to laptop without base
      station and got the same problem).

      When I run Xconfigurator without the monitor connected (i.e. just the
      LCD screen), it sets up X with little bother (just complains about
      graphics card ram, but easily sorted).

      When I connect the monitor directly to the laptop or via the
      basestation and re-run Xconfigurator, it find the monitor without any
      problem, but refuses to start X (in test or probe mode) saying that
      it has 'no screens available'.

      I have several ideas about how to sort this out such as upgrading X
      server to the lastest version and so on, but I dont want to do this
      unless it is necessary.

      Has anyone experienced the same or similar problem?

      Cheers

      Mike.