Re: need help?

  • ox447@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2001
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Christopher R. Hoffman"
      <tinyhoffman@e...> wrote:
      > Can you please clarify what you mean by "get the[ir] cell phone
      > working" ?
      >
      > I assume you mean "allow my laptop to connect to the internet
      > via the data port on my cellular phone..."
      >
      > If so: Get a phone with a Quallcomm port, and a matching cable.
      >
      > You SHOLD be able to access the phone like a standard AT modem,
      > meaning that you would tell your pppd to access ttys0, and send
      > at commands to it. The phone should take care of the rest, though
      > YMMV.
      >
      > Overall, I would highly recommend researching the available cell
      phones
      > at your Radio Shack outlet, or wherever you plan upon purchasing
      your
      > cell service, and then looking up the manufacturer's info online.
      > Again, YMMV
      >

      > -Tiny

      so i don't have to make a new kernel then?
    • Christopher R. Hoffman
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3, 2001
        Not as of yet. But then, I haven't given much of an effort...

        I have an AudioVox, witch has internal modem logic, so I've been able
        to make dialups with it as if it were an AT modem.

        If Quallcomm will guarantee some kind of service, or publishes it's
        technical material, I immagine you have a good shot at making it
        work.

        Again, YMMV.

        -Tiny

        Have you gotten it to work, I have the Quallcom QCP-2760 and I little
        afread of getting the modem for it, if it does not work, $100 is a lot
        of money for me.
        On Sun, 2001-09-02 at 18:15, Christopher R. Hoffman wrote:
        > Can you please clarify what you mean by "get the[ir] cell phone
        > working" ?
        >
        > I assume you mean "allow my laptop to connect to the internet
        > via the data port on my cellular phone..."
        >
        > If so: Get a phone with a Quallcomm port, and a matching cable.
        >
        > You SHOLD be able to access the phone like a standard AT modem,
        > meaning that you would tell your pppd to access ttys0, and send
        > at commands to it. The phone should take care of the rest, though
        > YMMV.
        >
        > Overall, I would highly recommend researching the available cell phones
        > at your Radio Shack outlet, or wherever you plan upon purchasing your
        > cell service, and then looking up the manufacturer's info online.
        > Again, YMMV
        >

        > -Tiny

      • Michael P. O'Connor
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 3, 2001
          Have you gotten it to work, I have the Quallcom QCP-2760 and I little
          afread of getting the modem for it, if it does not work, $100 is a lot
          of money for me.
          On Sun, 2001-09-02 at 18:15, Christopher R. Hoffman wrote:
          > Can you please clarify what you mean by "get the[ir] cell phone
          > working" ?
          >
          > I assume you mean "allow my laptop to connect to the internet
          > via the data port on my cellular phone..."
          >
          > If so: Get a phone with a Quallcomm port, and a matching cable.
          >
          > You SHOLD be able to access the phone like a standard AT modem,
          > meaning that you would tell your pppd to access ttys0, and send
          > at commands to it. The phone should take care of the rest, though
          > YMMV.
          >
          > Overall, I would highly recommend researching the available cell phones
          > at your Radio Shack outlet, or wherever you plan upon purchasing your
          > cell service, and then looking up the manufacturer's info online.
          > Again, YMMV
          >

          > -Tiny

        • Ron Menelli
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 3, 2001
            On Monday 03 September 2001 08:53 pm, you wrote:
            > Have you gotten it to work, I have the Quallcom QCP-2760 and I little
            > afread of getting the modem for it, if it does not work, $100 is a lot
            > of money for me.

            You shouldn't need a modem for your 2760 - just a data cable - unless you
            need to have internet access in an area that has only analog service. A data
            cable runs around $60 and will get you access whenever you have digital
            service.

            I have not personally tried a 2760 with my I8000, but all Qualcomm phones
            behave like AT command set modems - just set them up to dial and connect to a
            PPP server like you would with a landline modem. For most carriers, you dial
            #777 to connect to your carrier's internet gateway.

            Please let me know if this works for you. I'll be trying this on my QCP-6035
            smartphone in the near future.

            -Ron, former Qualcomm/Kyocera employee

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 8, 2001
              I like the thank all the people on this list that helped me with the
              info on connection my laptop to my cell phone, I got the cable and today
              at the installfest for wplug I got help and got it all working.
              Thanks all

              Michael P. O'Connor

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 16, 2001
                Does any one know how to disable the suspend of the laptop when you shut
                the screen. I have a inspiron 5000e with redhat 7.1? Thanks.

                Michael P. O'Connor
              • Kusli
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 17, 2001
                  On my I8k I can change that behavor in the setup. As a default my one
                  suspends on lit closed when it is on batteries, but not if it is AC
                  Powered...

                  > Does any one know how to disable the suspend of the laptop when you shut
                  > the screen. I have a inspiron 5000e with redhat 7.1? Thanks.
                  >
                  > Michael P. O'Connor

                • Rudolf Usselmann
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 17, 2001
                    On Monday 17 September 2001 12:08, you wrote:
                    > Does any one know how to disable the suspend of the laptop when you shut
                    > the screen. I have a inspiron 5000e with redhat 7.1? Thanks.
                    >
                    > Michael P. O'Connor

                    On the I8K this is done in the BIOS.

                    rudi