How to avoid panning with nVIDIA card and RH 7.1

  • jgm@astrax.fis.ucm.es
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2001
      Hi all
      I am sucessfully using my I8k with RedHat 7.1 and the nVIDIA 1.0
      driver. I use the 1600x1200 but can switch to lower resolutions.
      However, when running X11 at resolutions lowern than 1600x1200
      I am forced to use panning.

      Any of you could tell me how to avoid this panning??
      Thank you very much in advance for your help
      This is a really nice group

      Peleonk
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2001
        Set the VirtualDesktop space to be smaller in your XF86Config-4..

        -steve

      • jgm@astrax.fis.ucm.es
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2001
          Dear Steve
          thanks a lot for your help. However, after reading the man of the
          XF86Config I am not able to put it to work.

          I am using a single Modes line that says...

          Modes "1600x1200" 1024x768" "800x600"

          How can I specify a Virtual for each mode?
          My goal would be to a Virtual exactly equal to the resolution
          for each mode and avoid panning thtat way.
          I guess I would need something like
          Virtual 1600x1200 1024x768 800x600

          Could you be a little bit more specific about the syntax?

          thank you
          Peleonk

          > Set the VirtualDesktop space to be smaller in your XF86Config-4..
          >
          > -steve
        • Stephen Lau
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2001
            Hi Peleonk,
            Sorry - was in a rush last time and didn't explain further. :) A
            "Virtual" desktop size is what your desktop is set to in terms of
            resolution, whereas the "Modes" line says what resolution to actually run
            at. So if you have your Modes to say "1024x768" "800x600" and your
            Virtual to say "1600x1200" then you will see panning. Virtual only takes
            one argument.. so if you want to run your desktop at 1024x768, you should
            say:

            Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
            Virtual "1024x768"

            cheers,
            steve

            (I'm leaving for China now - so I won't be able to reply anymore, sorry...!)