Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Unable to detect any PCMCIA card on CPx J650GT running RH 7.1

  • Sunny Dubey
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2001
      hey,

      a few things ...

      first do you mind sending us (or me) your pcmcai.opts file from /etc/pcmcia/
      dir. Secondly, can you do lspci -v and tell us what you see about your buses
      (pcmcia ones at least). Lastly, can you do lsmod and tell us which modules
      you have loaded (if you have build the pcmcia file into the kernel send us
      your kernel config file) thanks.

      Please also check out the linux on laptops site to see if there is any known
      issues with this dell laptop, and the pcmcia bus (which is very unlikely)

      Sunny Dubey

    • echurchm@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2001
        Did anyone get this working? I have spent 3 days trying to figure this
        out and have made no progress. Any info you learned would be greatly
        appreciated. Thanks Ed.
        echurchm@...

      • will.irwin@emersonprocess.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7, 2001
          It works for me with a Xircom combo ethernet/modem card
          using the standard RH7.1 install. I chose the Laptop
          option at install time; don't know if this is needed to
          make it set things up for PCMCIA, though it should not
          make a difference.

          Look in /var/log/messages and search for 'pcmcia'. In
          mine I see a line saying "cardmgr[621]: executing
          './network start xircom_cb'". Evidently cardmgr
          somehow identifies the specific card and does the
          right thing.

          Also check the file /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia. Mine says
          PCMCIA=yes
          PCIC=yenta_socket
          PCIC_OPTS=
          CORE_OPTS=

          all of which is exactly as the installer created it:
          I didn't have to change anything.

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7, 2001
            I now have it mostly working. I upgraded the kernel from 2.4.2-2 to
            2.4.9. That fixed my pc card bus not recogizing cards but now only
            my sound is not working. I had to build my .config file from
            scratch because I could not find the one that Redhat uses on
            install. I must have missed the sound support somewhere. If anyone
            has a working .config for Cpx J650GT, please mail it to me for
            reference. Thanks Ed.
            echurchm@...

          • mo@homemail.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 8, 2001
              To get sound working, you need to compile with experimental kernel
              options on, and use the maestro3 sound driver.

              -Maurice