Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Partitioning issues

  • Raymond Laia
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
      jan.glaescher@... wrote:

      > However, as I already have a WinME partition which is /dev/hda1 (or
      > drive C:) I used the PHDISK utility by DELL to create an S2D partition
      > as /dev/hda4.

      Hallo Jan,
      I don't know wether I8100 has another spec as I8000. But DELL says
      (http://supprot.dell.com) the utility you need for I8000 is D5788807.exe
      and not phdisk as you wrote!!! This utility creates a boot disk, which
      creates s2d partition on your harddisk. I used it successfully.

      The steps I did:

      1. Create s2d disk from the utility above.
      2. Delete all partitions
      3. Boot from s2d disk and create s2d partition
      4. Boot a linux boot disk and create further partitions with linux fdisk
      5. Done

      The order I have:

      /dev/hda1 s2d (hidden c:)
      /dev/hda2 Windows ME
      /dev/hda5 swap
      /dev/hda6 /
      /dev/hda7 /home

      Raymond Laia
      slaia@...
      http://www.geocities.com/slaia

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 11, 2001
        Hi Jan,

        I just got an Inspiron 8100, too, and I wonder wether you were
        successful with the repartitioning. Could you still do suspend to disc
        from windows?

        I would like to learn how the whole process works, and you mention a
        FAQ by Steve. Where can I find it?

        One thing in particular I don't understand is the following: Why does
        a second partion have to be created, if there is only one on my I8K1
        as I got it from Dell. (at least with fdisk I can only find one.)
        Nils

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., jan.glaescher@g... wrote:
        > OK, I found a way that works for me and I want to supply this
        > information for those who encounter similar problems ...
        >
        > A reordering of partitions can be accomplished through Linux's fdisk
        > (expert mode, "fix order of partition table"). This operation
        simply
        > reorders the partitions according to their position on the disk. It
        > preserves all partition boundaries. (This could not be accomplished
        > through deletition and recreation of partitions, as I
        > mentioned in the original posting)
        >
        > So to summarize the procedure:
        >
        > Problem: Windows occupies the only partition on the disk and you
        want
        > to have your hibernation partition as /dev/hda1 starting cyl1.
        >
        > (1) Scan your disk and defrag the Windown partition. Then resize it
        > as desired and create some space in front of it (This new slot which
        > starts at cyl1 will later contain the hibernation partition; the
        size
        > should be RAM+VideoRAM+some extra (4MB).
        >
        > (2) Create a temporary FAT32 partition with all the space BEHIND the
        > Windows partition. This forces phdisk to put its hibernation
        > partition in the slot at the beginning of the disk
        >
        > (3) Use the appropriate tool to create the hibernation partition
        > (phdisk seem to work with the i8.1k)
        >
        > (4) Delete the temporary FAT32 partition. Now you should have your
        > Windows partition as /dev/hda1 and your hibernation partition as
        > /dev/hda2 and a large chunk of unallocated space behind the Windows
        > partition.
        >
        > (5) Boot into Linux (I used SuSE's rescue system) and change the
        order
        > of the partitions via Linux's fdisk (expert mode, command "f"). Now
        > you should have your hibernation partition as /dev/hda1 staring cyl1
        > and your Windows partition as /dev/hda2 right behind it, just where
        > they should be according to Steve's FAQ. Be sure to keep the active
        > flag on the Windows partition.
        >
        > (6) Check that Windows is still able to boot and go about installing
        > Linux.
        >

        > Thanks for the quick replies last night.
        > Jan
        >
        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., jan.glaescher@g... wrote:
        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > > I just got a new i8100 --- great machine as it seems on the first
        > > glance. Now I am down to partitioning the drive and I need some
        > help
        > >
        > > I used Partition Magic 7 to change the WinME partition and moved
        it
        > > back a little bit to create some space for an S2D partition as
        > > /dev/hda1 as it was strongy recommend in the brilliant FAQ by
        Steve
        > > (Thanks very much for putting all that information together!!!)
        > >
        > > I decided to use PM7 despite all the objections that have been
        > around
        > > because to me it seems that fips only creates new partitions at
        the
        > > back of an existing one and is also not able to move partitions
        > > around.
        > >
        > > However, as I already have a WinME partition which is /dev/hda1
        (or
        > > drive C:) I used the PHDISK utility by DELL to create an S2D
        > partition
        > > as /dev/hda4.
        > >
        > > (It first created it at the very far end of the disk, but I forced
        > it
        > > into the slot at that I reserved for the S2D partition at the
        > > beginning ot the disk by temporarily creating a FAT32 partition
        with
        > > the rest of the disk --- the PHDISK wil put it's partition in the
        > > remaining slot)
        > >
        > > Now the question:
        > > -----------------
        > > Does anyone in the group know, how to change the order of the
        > > partitions (or drive letters repsectively)?
        > >
        > > Here is what I came up with:
        > >
        > > (1) I could format the S2D partition temporarily as FAT32 (which
        is
        > > then assigned the letter D:) and use PM7's drive mapper to remap
        C:
        > > D: and vice versa. Then, use Linux fdisk to change the type of
        the
        > > S2D partition type back to a0 (IBM Thinkpad hibernation). Does
        > > anybody have experience with this? Will WinME be still able to
        > boot?
        > > (Because I am trying to avoid all the hassles of reinstalling
        WinME