Partitioning issues

  • jan.glaescher@gmx.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2001
      Hi all,

      I just got a new i8100 --- great machine as it seems on the first
      glance. Now I am down to partitioning the drive and I need some help

      I used Partition Magic 7 to change the WinME partition and moved it
      back a little bit to create some space for an S2D partition as
      /dev/hda1 as it was strongy recommend in the brilliant FAQ by Steve
      (Thanks very much for putting all that information together!!!)

      I decided to use PM7 despite all the objections that have been around
      because to me it seems that fips only creates new partitions at the
      back of an existing one and is also not able to move partitions
      around.

      However, as I already have a WinME partition which is /dev/hda1 (or
      drive C:) I used the PHDISK utility by DELL to create an S2D partition
      as /dev/hda4.

      (It first created it at the very far end of the disk, but I forced it
      into the slot at that I reserved for the S2D partition at the
      beginning ot the disk by temporarily creating a FAT32 partition with
      the rest of the disk --- the PHDISK wil put it's partition in the
      remaining slot)

      Now the question:
      -----------------
      Does anyone in the group know, how to change the order of the
      partitions (or drive letters repsectively)?

      Here is what I came up with:

      (1) I could format the S2D partition temporarily as FAT32 (which is
      then assigned the letter D:) and use PM7's drive mapper to remap C: to
      D: and vice versa. Then, use Linux fdisk to change the type of the
      S2D partition type back to a0 (IBM Thinkpad hibernation). Does
      anybody have experience with this? Will WinME be still able to boot?
      (Because I am trying to avoid all the hassles of reinstalling WinME
      again)

      (2) I could write down the partition boundaries ofthe WinME partition
      and then delete it with Linux fdisk (so that there is NO partition
      left on the drive). Then create the S2D partition first (=/dev/hda1)
      with the type a0 and then in a second step recreate the WinME
      partition with the same boundaries as before (=/dev/hda2 now). Again
      the question: Does anybody have experience with this, especially if
      booting WinME is still possible after the deletion and recreation of
      Fat32 (LBA) partition?

      Thanks or your suggestions,
      Jan
    • mavin
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 31, 2001
        Message
        You can reorder the names of the partition via Linux's fdisk.  Once again, Steve to the rescue.

        !!HOWEVER!!

        I had Win2k on /dev/hda1, and after the reorder, the NTLM loader could not find the Win2k partition.  BAD!!

        you might have better luck with simply booting the fat32 partition, but my sys was hosed.

        mn

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 31, 2001
          Hi Jan,

          is there any specific reason you want to change the order of the
          partition table entries ? You do not have to to be able to use
          hibernation in Linux.

          Other question: Are you sure that PHDISK is the right program for the
          I8.1k ? For the I8k, it is mks2d -f that you need.

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I just got a new i8100 --- great machine as it seems on the first
          > glance. Now I am down to partitioning the drive and I need some help
          >
          > I used Partition Magic 7 to change the WinME partition and moved it
          > back a little bit to create some space for an S2D partition as
          > /dev/hda1 as it was strongy recommend in the brilliant FAQ by Steve
          > (Thanks very much for putting all that information together!!!)
          >
          > I decided to use PM7 despite all the objections that have been around
          > because to me it seems that fips only creates new partitions at the
          > back of an existing one and is also not able to move partitions
          > around.
          >
          > However, as I already have a WinME partition which is /dev/hda1 (or
          > drive C:) I used the PHDISK utility by DELL to create an S2D partition
          > as /dev/hda4.
          >
          > (It first created it at the very far end of the disk, but I forced it
          > into the slot at that I reserved for the S2D partition at the
          > beginning ot the disk by temporarily creating a FAT32 partition with
          > the rest of the disk --- the PHDISK wil put it's partition in the
          > remaining slot)
          >
          > Now the question:
          > -----------------
          > Does anyone in the group know, how to change the order of the
          > partitions (or drive letters repsectively)?
          >
          > Here is what I came up with:
          >
          > (1) I could format the S2D partition temporarily as FAT32 (which is
          > then assigned the letter D:) and use PM7's drive mapper to remap C: to
          > D: and vice versa. Then, use Linux fdisk to change the type of the
          > S2D partition type back to a0 (IBM Thinkpad hibernation). Does
          > anybody have experience with this? Will WinME be still able to boot?
          > (Because I am trying to avoid all the hassles of reinstalling WinME
          > again)
          >
          > (2) I could write down the partition boundaries ofthe WinME partition
          > and then delete it with Linux fdisk (so that there is NO partition
          > left on the drive). Then create the S2D partition first (=/dev/hda1)
          > with the type a0 and then in a second step recreate the WinME
          > partition with the same boundaries as before (=/dev/hda2 now). Again
          > the question: Does anybody have experience with this, especially if
          > booting WinME is still possible after the deletion and recreation of
          > Fat32 (LBA) partition?
          >
          > Thanks or your suggestions,
          > Jan

          Ciao
          Thomas

          Thomas Hadig MS 62, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025, USA
          hadig@... Tel.: +1 650 926 2810
          http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~hadig/
          In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?
        • jan.glaescher@gmx.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
            Ok, I found a way that works very easily for me and I want to supply
            this in case other encounter similar partitioning questions.

            The reordering of partitions in the partition table can done via
            Linux's fdisk: In it's expert mode it has an options to fix the order
            of the partition table. This simply reorders the partitions according
            to their position on the disk. It preserves all partition boundaries.
            (This cannot be accomplished through deletition and recreation of
            partitions even though the sector boundaries are entered as before)

            After this operation WinME (which at this point (pre-Linux
            installation) is still booted via the active flag in the partition
            table) is still able to boot. Therefore I have the s2d partition now
            as /dev/hda1 starting with cylinder 1, just as Steve recommended in
            the FAQ.

            So, to summarize the procedure:

            (1) Resize Windows partition to the desired size and move it back a
            little bit to clear some space for the s2d partition in front of it.

            (2) Create a temporary Fat32 partition with all the disk space behind
            the Windows partition (this forces phdisk to put its partition in the
            remaining slot before the Windows partition)

            (3) Use the appropriate tools to create the s2d partition (phdisk seem
            to work for the i8.1k). [Now you should have your Windows partition
            as /dev/hda1 and your s2d partition as /dev/hda2]

            (4) Delete the temporary FAT32 partition at the end of the disk

            (5) Boot into Linux (I used SuSE's rescue system) and change the
            partition order through Linux's fdisk (expert mode, command f). This
            should give you your s2d partition as /dev/hda1 (starting cyl1) and
            your Windows partition as /dev/hda2, just where they should be. Make
            sure that the active flag is now set to /dev/hda2 (Windows)

            (6) Check that Windows is stil able to boot and go about about
            installing Linux (That's waht I am going to do now).

            Thanks for the quick comments last night.
            Jan

          • jan.glaescher@gmx.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
              OK, I found a way that works for me and I want to supply this
              information for those who encounter similar problems ...

              A reordering of partitions can be accomplished through Linux's fdisk
              (expert mode, "fix order of partition table"). This operation simply
              reorders the partitions according to their position on the disk. It
              preserves all partition boundaries. (This could not be accomplished
              through deletition and recreation of partitions, as I mentioned in the
              original posting)

              So to summarize the procedure:

              Problem: Windows occupies the only partition on the disk and you want
              to have your hibernation partition as /dev/hda1 starting cyl1.

              (1) Scan your disk and defrag the Windown partition. Then resize it
              as desired and create some space in front of it (This new slot which
              starts at cyl1 will later contain the hibernation partition; the size
              should be RAM+VideoRAM+some extra (4MB).

              (2) Create a temporary FAT32 partition with all the space BEHIND the
              Windows partition. This forces phdisk to put its hibernation
              partition in the slot at the beginning of the disk

              (3) Use the appropriate tool to create the hibernation partition
              (phdisk seem to work with the i8.1k)

              (4) Delete the temporary FAT32 partition. Now you should have your
              Windows partition as /dev/hda1 and your hibernation partition as
              /dev/hda2 and a large chunk of unallocated space behind the Windows
              partition.

              (5) Boot into Linux (I used SuSE's rescue system) and change the order
              of the partitions via Linux's fdisk (expert mode, command "f"). Now
              you should have your hibernation partition as /dev/hda1 staring cyl1
              and your Windows partition as /dev/hda2 right behind it, just where
              they should be according to Steve's FAQ. Be sure to keep the active
              flag on the Windows partition.

              (6) Check that Windows is still able to boot and go about installing
              Linux.

              Thanks for the quick replies last night.

            • jan.glaescher@gmx.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
> [...]

                > S2D partition type back to a0 (IBM Thinkpad hibernation). Does
                > anybody have experience with this? Will WinME be still able to
                boot?
                > (Because I am trying to avoid all the hassles of reinstalling WinME
                > again)
                >
                > (2) I could write down the partition boundaries ofthe WinME
                partition
                > and then delete it with Linux fdisk (so that there is NO partition
                > left on the drive). Then create the S2D partition first
                (=/dev/hda1)
                > with the type a0 and then in a second step recreate the WinME
                > partition with the same boundaries as before (=/dev/hda2 now).
                Again
                > the question: Does anybody have experience with this, especially if
                > booting WinME is still possible after the deletion and recreation of

              • Raymond Laia
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
                  jan.glaescher@... wrote:

                  > However, as I already have a WinME partition which is /dev/hda1 (or
                  > drive C:) I used the PHDISK utility by DELL to create an S2D partition
                  > as /dev/hda4.

                  Hallo Jan,
                  I don't know wether I8100 has another spec as I8000. But DELL says
                  (http://supprot.dell.com) the utility you need for I8000 is D5788807.exe
                  and not phdisk as you wrote!!! This utility creates a boot disk, which
                  creates s2d partition on your harddisk. I used it successfully.

                  The steps I did:

                  1. Create s2d disk from the utility above.
                  2. Delete all partitions
                  3. Boot from s2d disk and create s2d partition
                  4. Boot a linux boot disk and create further partitions with linux fdisk
                  5. Done

                  The order I have:

                  /dev/hda1 s2d (hidden c:)
                  /dev/hda2 Windows ME
                  /dev/hda5 swap
                  /dev/hda6 /
                  /dev/hda7 /home

                  Raymond Laia
                  slaia@...
                  http://www.geocities.com/slaia

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 11, 2001
                    Hi Jan,

                    I just got an Inspiron 8100, too, and I wonder wether you were
                    successful with the repartitioning. Could you still do suspend to disc
                    from windows?

                    I would like to learn how the whole process works, and you mention a
                    FAQ by Steve. Where can I find it?

                    One thing in particular I don't understand is the following: Why does
                    a second partion have to be created, if there is only one on my I8K1
                    as I got it from Dell. (at least with fdisk I can only find one.)
                    Nils