spurious interrupts from switched off devices

  • Matthias Mohr
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2001
      Hi everybody,

      I have problems with my I5000e, sending interrupts to my linux-system
      (currently SuSE 7.2 but the
      same happend with earlier versions) from devices which are not present or
      switched off in the BIOS.
      I then find a lot "kernel: spurious IRQ XXX sent"

      Namely there are two devices which seems to send such interrupts:
      the LPT-port is sending always IRQ7, also when switched off in the BIOS.
      Although I don't use the LPT-port, I worked around this problem by always
      switching the device on
      in the BIOS and then always loading the parallelport-modules with
      parameter in etc/modules.conf telling
      the kernel, that it is using IRQ7.
      The second devices that sends always interrupts is the second IDE
      controller. I often replace my
      DVD-ROM with a second battery pack and then I can find a lot of such
      "spurious interrupt 15"
      messages.

      Is this behaviour normal ? Or is it a BIOS bug ?
      Is it possible to tell the linux kernel about devices, which are not used but
      will send interrupts without
      Do this messages have any sideeffect or can they be safely ignored ?

      with regards,
      Matthias