CD player doesn't recognise audio CD

  • kbta@pacbell.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2001
      Hi folks,
      I've done a search on this forum for the topic "cd player"
      but didn't come up with any find. It seems as though nobody
      else is having this problem of mine. My CD/DVD drive in
      my Ins. 8000 is booting/recognizing both the SuSE 7.2 CD disk
      and DVD disk fine but when I tried to play an audio CD it
      doesn't find any Audio CD in the drive. Another thing is that
      the system doesn't have any sound even though the sound card
      is configured, I have to delete the sound card and reconfigure
      to have sound each time I get thru startx. Help.
      KB
    • Sunny Dubey
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2001
        do you have the correct permissions for the cd-rom drive ??
        if you cdrom is /dev/hdb* or /dev/hdc*, just add yourself to the groups that
        own those device files, and you should be able to play music.

        please also remember that audio cd's are not to be mounted, but rather just
        inserted and played.

        Sunny Dubey

      • kbta@pacbell.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2001
          I'm sorry for this late acknowledgement of your
          reply. My system was totally out of commission for
          a whole week, just had time to reformat it.
          Regarding the audio question for my Dell laptop,
          I was able to get it to play after adding myself
          to the group just like what you suggested. Thanks.

          There is another issue with sound on my Dell,
          the system start music used to be there now is
          no longer played, the system bell is also somehow
          deactivated. When I tried "print "\a"" , nothing plays.
          When I used the sound utility "K system sound" to test
          the sounds would play but otherwise nothing.

          KB

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/